Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14.5" Mega Arms

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

14.5" Mega Arms

I've had this Mega set for a while now and decided to assemble a 14.5" since I always wanted one. Here's the list of parts I used that are pictured. I'm undecided on the buttstock, IMOD or EMOD; Samson VG, Arisaka VG/Indexer, or none.

Lower
    Mega Arms GTR-3H
    VLTOR IMOD Stock
    VLTOR Carbine Extension
    Geissele 42 Spring
    Geissele H2 Buffer
    Forward Controls Design Castle Nut
    Forward Controls Design End Plate
    Buffer Retaining Pin from a Geissele kit
    Forward Controls Design Ambi Safety
    Pivot and Takedown Pins from a Standard Geissele LPK
    Geissele SD-E Trigger
    Forward Controls Design Extended Mag Release
    FCD Bolt Stop
    Magpul K2+ Grip

Upper
    Mega Arms GTR-3H
    FCD Forward Assist
    Strike Industries Dust Cover
    Geissele Charging Handle
    Colt BCG
    Midwest Industries Rear BUIS
    Trijicon MRO Patrol
    Centurion Arms C4 MLOK Rail FSB 12"
    Samson Stubby VG
    Surefire X300u-B
    14.5" Colt SOCOM Profile
    Colt Carbine Gas Tube
    Surefire Closed Tine Adapter (pinned/welded)

The barrel work was done by John Thomas (Retro Arms Works). He removed the ears/tabs for the sling and re parkerized the area, removed the handguard cap, and pinned and welded the muzzle device. I was really impressed with his work and customer service. Awesome.

There's a picture of the pin and weld job.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Looks great!

What was your motivation to choose carbine gas over mid-length?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Looks great!

I've shot both and the carbine didn't make that much difference to me compared with a mid. I wanted a Colt barrel also after reading that the socom profile Colts were pretty accurate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Looks great!

Thanks man, I like the way it turned out. I just want to shoot it!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

14.5" Mega Arms

I strongly prefer seven sided MLOK rails but those C4 MLOK rails look dope. We’ll done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I strongly prefer seven sided MLOK rails but those C4 MLOK rails look dope. We’ll done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I agree having 7 sides gives you more options. I just don't have a need at this point for it so that helped with my decision to go with the C4. I was going to go with a stripped CHF FN M4 barrel and use a Geissele rail for this build, but after seeing Sticks pictures of this rail I had second thoughts. I ended up using that FN barrel for a spare upper.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Nice, I miss MEGA ARMS.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Me too, I wish I would have gotten some of their rails and and a few forged lowers before they sold to Zev.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Somehow I lucked out that Megas Gators were my first lowers and I stuck with those for the most part for lowers, other than some complete rifles I bought.

Just a case of being lucky when someone suggested them a decade ago for a great lower. I really wanted their small frame 308 they were touting back in oh, 2015-6 maybe at SHOT? Then they got bought out by Zev and who knows what happened.

Reinforces that if you really want something and the price is reasonable to you, don't wait.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Somehow I lucked out that Megas Gators were my first lowers and I stuck with those for the most part for lowers, other than some complete rifles I bought.

Just a case of being lucky when someone suggested them a decade ago for a great lower. I really wanted their small frame 308 they were touting back in oh, 2015-6 maybe at SHOT? Then they got bought out by Zev and who knows what happened.

Reinforces that if you really want something and the price is reasonable to you, don't wait.
    Agreed. I really feel that way about Colt and think I missed out on one those 6920 Socom rifles (2010 I think).

I was able to get to the range yesterday and try out the build. It was having trouble cycling. At first it wouldn't eject the spent case. I swapped out the BCG with a well used one and it would work fine so I swapped it back, I figured maybe the new BCG just needed to get broken in. The bolt has a very tight fit in the carrier. It then would eject the spent case but wouldn't pick up a new round. After a few more rounds it was working correctly.

I didn't have access to the rifle range yesterday so I zeroed my RDS at 50 yards. I used a 3-9 Luepold scope to get a group and was happy with the barrel. Below is a 10 round group.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast