Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Do masks really work?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    I do realize some folks are wearing proper N95 or better rated masks, fewer are wearing them fitted and properly, however- that is a very small minority of folks and most people are wearing masks that do little to nothing and they aren’t even using them correctly as a single use mask- would you agree?
    For sure the Biden chin mask does nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if mask mandates for the general public did as much harm as good, but I'm only interested in my family. Wife is in her 60s with a mild heart condition. While there's endless data on the effectiveness of masks, I don't remember seeing any stating an N95 mask didn't provide better filtration than cloth or a surgical mask so that's what we went with, and one that fit her face well. Other than that, I really don't know what else I could reasonably do in regards to masks. Do they work? All I know is that she didn't get sick. We've both had the Pfizer vaccine.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 05-06-21 at 11:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    For sure the Biden chin mask does nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if mask mandates for the general public did as much harm as good, but I'm only interested in my family. Wife is in her 60s with a mild heart condition. While there's endless data on the effectiveness of masks, I don't remember seeing any stating an N95 mask didn't provide better filtration than cloth or a surgical mask so that's what we went with, and one that fit her face well. Other than that, I really don't know what else I could reasonably do in regards to masks. Do they work? All I know is that she didn't get sick. We've both had the Pfizer vaccine.

No one in my household got sick, 5 of us. None of us wore masks. Just some objective data. People should do what they want. I agree wearing the same cloth mask is probably doing more harm than good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    No one in my household got sick, 5 of us. None of us wore masks. Just some objective data. People should do what they want. I agree wearing the same cloth mask is probably doing more harm than good.
    Even though I am totally ambivalent on mask wearing, I also realize the idea behind mask is to lower liquid droplet spread, not decrease your odds of catching it from someone else. That said, I can keep my distance and not spit on people, so I haven't worn a mask unless required by private property owners or government mandate.

My brother and sister in-law were dedicated activist non-mask wearers. They just tested positive yesterday.

Our business was never required to mask up, so few of us wore them. 71,000 customer interaction since Mar 1, 2020. 20 staff members. Not one case of COVID for any of them so far, nor for their immediate family. Three cases of direct exposure by employees with non-household family members with zero positives.

All this really mean nothing. I lost two friends to COVID complications. I still don't believe masks really did anything to help. I'm still on the fence with vaccines.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grnamin View Post
    Does the mask you are wearing to guard against the chinese virus really work? Try this... seal the mask material around your mouth with your fingers and see if you can breath in and out normally. Now remove your fingers and breath. Think path of least resistance. Based on my own tests, the air I'm inhaling and exhaling isn't being filtered by the mask. At best, the masking is only capturing the water vapor of my breath, which is one way to stem the spread of the virus. Military protective masks and respirators, on the other hand, have sufficient seals around one's face to force the air to enter through the filters and exit through a one-way valve. Wearing more than one mask or a mask with a filter won't "filter" out pathogens. What do you think?
    yes, they work, but that's not to say they are flawless and 100% impervious and all that.

This topic, frankly, is dumb as shit.

Go ask a cop if his bullet resistant vest works, then point out that it has sleeves and he's dumb for wearing a vest with sleeve holes, or he could get shot in the face. Vests R Dum!

God if I hear more of this shit. I hate having clicked the GD forum by accident.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    yes, they work, but that's not to say they are flawless and 100% impervious and all that.

This topic, frankly, is dumb as shit.

Go ask a cop if his bullet resistant vest works, then point out that it has sleeves and he's dumb for wearing a vest with sleeve holes, or he could get shot in the face. Vests R Dum!

God if I hear more of this shit. I hate having clicked the GD forum by accident.
    Not the same thing. That vest covers the torso and protects that part. It does what it's supposed to do within it's design parameters. The vests have been tested and rated for certain calibers.

These blue masks most people wear were made in china to what quality? In the beginning of this it was already shown that Chinese masks were largely ineffective with several countries sending entire shipments back. On top of that when you look on the box many have a warning label....does not protect against Covid!

I would probably have more faith in the mask if it were made here

Or just about anywhere in EU, UK, AU, ...

And since the new Tapatalk won't let me put up a picture without having to sign in through FB, Google or email you can look it up but here is what the box says

"WARNING

THIS PRODUCT IS AN EAR LOOP MASK. THIS PRODUCT IS NOT A RESPIRATOR AND WILL NOT PROVIDE ANY PROTECTION AGAINST COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS) OR OTHER VIRUSES OR CONTENTMENTS.
    Wearing an ear loop mask does not reduce the risk of contracting any disease or infection. User is solely responsible for the selection of the appropriate personal protective equipment for the setting and application
    Change immediately if contaminated
    Single use only"

I'm not trying to be a dick or argumentative and I've never been in a job that requires a vest but I'm pretty sure none of them say that they won't protect against ANY round?

That's just the blue surgeon mask. Then there's the N95 with the one way valve I see worn all the time. Completely opposite of why you're wearing that mask in the first place. Tons and tons of neck gaiters that were said to make it worse by slicing the droplets you breathe out making more and smaller ones. And of course all the bandanas that don't actually prevent anything since there's a large gaping hole under your mouth
    Last edited by Arik; 05-07-21 at 09:01.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

GOOD news! Mickey Mauci has a NEW, foolproof plan THIS week!

- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    My old man has COPD and two different heart issues, both parents went into complete lockdown over a year ago because the believe the BS on TV and the c¥nt in the governors Manson.

My wife and I have done there grocery shopping this entire time (they live 62 miles away from us). We deliver the groceries to the front porch then leave, after we are gone the go out and bathe every item in hand sanitizer.

The both have had their shots as of February, then the Monday after easter, mom calls and says they went to Dr and both are positive for the China virus. 4 days later the old man is in the UofM hospital with a 76% oxygen level. 10 days later he went home, but both are still sick (not contagious).
    We haven't seen them in over a year and they only go to Dr visits and wear multiple masks, yet they both caught it.

Our whole state has the ridiculous mask requirements, but I've been telling folks to suck it, for the last few weeks as I'm sick of this nonsense.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fan View Post
    My old man has COPD and two different heart issues, both parents went into complete lockdown over a year ago because the believe the BS on TV and the c¥nt in the governors Manson.

My wife and I have done there grocery shopping this entire time (they live 62 miles away from us). We deliver the groceries to the front porch then leave, after we are gone the go out and bathe every item in hand sanitizer.

The both have had their shots as of February, then the Monday after easter, mom calls and says they went to Dr and both are positive for the China virus. 4 days later the old man is in the UofM hospital with a 76% oxygen level. 10 days later he went home, but both are still sick (not contagious).
    We haven't seen them in over a year and they only go to Dr visits and wear multiple masks, yet they both caught it.

Our whole state has the ridiculous mask requirements, but I've been telling folks to suck it, for the last few weeks as I'm sick of this nonsense.
    I still don't believe the test are accurate. He could have had pneumonia. Especially if he wears the same mask over and over. If the mask gets wet he's breathing in damp air with bacteria in it. Then he puts it on again and again, just repeating the process. Masks people wear more than once are cesspools. It's like crapping in your pants but still wearing them over and over. Does a filter mask work yes did a price of cloth you can smell a fart through work, no not even a little.

Furthermore, nothing should be mandatory any more. We need to take care of our selves. It's not my job to protect you if you're vulnerable due to weight or age.

Also why is anyone not high risk getting vaccinated? There is zero history with this vaccine. We don't know the long term affects, but we know if we aren't high risk we are 99.9% likely to survive. Remember the government told us asbestos was ok.

Get healthy people is the best thing you can do. Poor diet is really killing us.
    Last edited by Twilk73; 05-08-21 at 08:01.

Feedback Score
    My 82 y/o mother lives 2,400 miles away. I also delivered groceries to her front door via Walmart (dry goods) and Whole Foods/Amazon Prime (fresh and frozen). She never got sick. Got the Pfizer vaccine in March. She's back to doing her grocery shopping at the local store, N95 mask (mask mandated).
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 05-08-21 at 11:45.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast