Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Do masks really work?

Feedback Score
    Government doesn't recommend the use of N95 for us peons which is a pretty good indicator they work.

Serious though, I made sure my wife had all the N95 masks she needed when she had to go to the hospital (unrelated to Covid) and followup doctor appts. Did they work? I don't know but she didn't get infected. I would have never forgiven myself if I scoffed at wearing a mask and she got sick. Neither of us got sick. Maybe we did something right.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A good read on masks:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...028?via%3Dihub

Hypothesis
    On January 30, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced a global public health emergency of severe acute respiratory syndrome-coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) causing illness of coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) [3]. As of October 1, 2020, worldwide 34,166,633 cases were reported and 1,018,876 have died with virus diagnosis. Interestingly, 99% of the detected cases with SARS-CoV-2 are asymptomatic or have mild condition, which contradicts with the virus name (severe acute respiratory syndrome-coronavirus-2) [4]. Although infection fatality rate (number of death cases divided by number of reported cases) initially seems quite high 0.029 (2.9%) [4], this overestimation related to limited number of COVID-19 tests performed which biases towards higher rates.

Given the fact that asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times higher than the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate is considerably less than 1% [5]. This was confirmed by the head of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases from US stating, “the overall clinical consequences of COVID-19 are similar to those of severe seasonal influenza” [5], having a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1% [5], [6], [7], [8]. In addition, data from hospitalized patients with COVID-19 and general public indicate that the majority of deaths were among older and chronically ill individuals, supporting the possibility that the virus may exacerbates existing conditions but rarely causes death by itself [9], [10]. SARS-CoV-2 primarily affects respiratory system and can cause complications such as acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), respiratory failure and death [3], [9].

It is not clear however, what the scientific and clinical basis for wearing facemasks as protective strategy, given the fact that facemasks restrict breathing, causing hypoxemia and hypercapnia and increase the risk for respiratory complications, self-contamination and exacerbation of existing chronic conditions [2], [11], [12], [13], [14].
    Last edited by THCDDM4; 04-20-21 at 09:44.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    Michigan has ordered toddlers to wear masks. These people are insane.

----------

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services expanded mask requirements to include children ages 2-4 years old. The order runs through May 24.

“I think it makes sense, actually,” said Dr. Rudolph Valentini, Chief Medical Officer at DMC Children’s Hospital.

More here: https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...as-young-as-2/

Feedback Score
    On the complete other end of the spectrum. I went to my nephew's baseball game(coach pitch) last night. 99% were not wearing masks. Same thing at his basketball games last month(though they were capacity limited). Walmart mask usage is majorly trending downward. Last time I checked my counties(granted we are a rural area) Covid cases were going down.

TLDR:This may have been posted before but I think this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEp-Sdgl9AU shows masks can be effective but the way most masks are worn does nothing but redirect were the exhaled air goes. It almost looks worse to be behind someone in a surgical mask than in front of a non masked person. Of course half the people I see don't cover their nose rendering it essentially useless if it did do anything.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think masks are political. I doubt their efficacy outside a controlled environment. Dirty, poorly fitting masks are probably doing more bad than good.

I think the pharmaceutical industry wants people to buy vaccine doses. They know that therapeutics would reduce vaccine adoption, for obvious reasons. Hence, the mask - something you have to keep doing until everyone is “vaccinated” and transmission drops.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think masks are political. I doubt their efficacy outside a controlled environment. Dirty, poorly fitting masks are probably doing more bad than good.

I think the pharmaceutical industry wants people to buy vaccine doses. They know that therapeutics would reduce vaccine adoption, for obvious reasons. Hence, the mask - something you have to keep doing until everyone is “vaccinated” and transmission drops.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Masks are the 21st century hijab

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post

Disposable masks need to be changed every 3-4 hours so that they are not harmful. At the expense of your conviction that all this is politics - as for me, this is too much. The whole world chtoli agreed that it is profitable? I don’t think so. It is not profitable for the government to restrict the movement of people and prohibit the work of enterprises - this directly affects the economy, the state receives less taxes from the treasury and thereby suffers losses. This is counterproductive.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
    Disposable masks need to be changed every 3-4 hours so that they are not harmful. At the expense of your conviction that all this is politics - as for me, this is too much. The whole world chtoli agreed that it is profitable? I don’t think so. It is not profitable for the government to restrict the movement of people and prohibit the work of enterprises - this directly affects the economy, the state receives less taxes from the treasury and thereby suffers losses. This is counterproductive.
    What explains it, then?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Disposable masks need to be changed every 3-4 hours so that they are not harmful.
    I don't think people wear them that long. Most people.....I'm sure theres some Quasimodo wearing it all day and to bed. When I was working in an office we'd only wear them when a client walked in and only because no one wanted to upset clients and even then some employees had to be reminded to put the mask on. I wore my mask probably a total of a few minutes a day counting going into stores.

Everyone else I know who's not working from home is like that too. It seems like no one wears masks around the people they interact with daily.

The whole world chtoli agreed that it is profitable? I don’t think so. It is not profitable for the government to restrict the movement of people and prohibit the work of enterprises - this directly affects the economy, the state receives less taxes from the treasury and thereby suffers losses. This is counterproductive.
    You'll own nothing and you'll be happy!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast