Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Seen a local wear a plague doctor mask

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    A good read on masks:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...028?via%3Dihub

Hypothesis
    On January 30, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced a global public health emergency of severe acute respiratory syndrome-coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) causing illness of coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) [3]. As of October 1, 2020, worldwide 34,166,633 cases were reported and 1,018,876 have died with virus diagnosis. Interestingly, 99% of the detected cases with SARS-CoV-2 are asymptomatic or have mild condition, which contradicts with the virus name (severe acute respiratory syndrome-coronavirus-2) [4]. Although infection fatality rate (number of death cases divided by number of reported cases) initially seems quite high 0.029 (2.9%) [4], this overestimation related to limited number of COVID-19 tests performed which biases towards higher rates.

Given the fact that asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times higher than the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate is considerably less than 1% [5]. This was confirmed by the head of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases from US stating, “the overall clinical consequences of COVID-19 are similar to those of severe seasonal influenza” [5], having a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1% [5], [6], [7], [8]. In addition, data from hospitalized patients with COVID-19 and general public indicate that the majority of deaths were among older and chronically ill individuals, supporting the possibility that the virus may exacerbates existing conditions but rarely causes death by itself [9], [10]. SARS-CoV-2 primarily affects respiratory system and can cause complications such as acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), respiratory failure and death [3], [9].

It is not clear however, what the scientific and clinical basis for wearing facemasks as protective strategy, given the fact that facemasks restrict breathing, causing hypoxemia and hypercapnia and increase the risk for respiratory complications, self-contamination and exacerbation of existing chronic conditions [2], [11], [12], [13], [14].
    Uh... Try again.

The Editorial Committee concluded that the author’s hypothesis is misleading on the following basis:

1. A broader review of existing scientific evidence clearly shows that approved masks with correct certification, and worn in compliance with guidelines, are an effective prevention of COVID-19 transmission.

2. The manuscript misquotes and selectively cites published papers. References #16, 17, 25 and 26 are all misquoted.

3. Table 1. Physiological and Psychological Effects of Wearing Facemask and Their Potential Health Consequences, generated by the author. All data in the table is unverified, and there are several speculative statements.

4. The author submitted that he is currently affiliated to Stanford University, and VA Palo Alto Health Care System. However, both institutions have confirmed that Dr Vainshelboim ended his connection with them in 2016.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Crazytown still has plenty of residents.

I got the second vaccination shot yesterday and, I guess as a reward, was given a mask that says "Covid 19 Vaccinated ✔".

Andy

P.S. its also a single layer mask and small enough I look like Rosie O'Donnell wearing Eva Mendes' bikini. At least it doesn't say "Made in China".
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-06-21 at 06:53.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

P.S. its also a single layer mask and small enough I look like Rosie O'Donnell wearing Eva Mendes' bikini. At least it doesn't say "Made in China".

But it was still likely made in china...

LOL!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by legumeofterror View Post
    Uh... Try again.
    Not one to throw the baby out with the bath water, there are some legit issues in that article that make most mask efficacy, ah, dubious. The only mask which we knows work with a high degree of confidence is the N95. Everything else, there are so many "depends" attached to whether they work, if they work, and how they work it's crazy.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Unfortunately where I work they are worn all day (depending on the job position that is 10-14 hours per day). We are a Federal entity and thanks to the current Administration masks are required to be worn at all times except with eating/drinking even if socially distanced—unless you are in an office with floor to ceiling walls and close door, which most cubicle farms are NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I don't think people wear them that long. Most people.....I'm sure theres some Quasimodo wearing it all day and to bed. When I was working in an office we'd only wear them when a client walked in and only because no one wanted to upset clients and even then some employees had to be reminded to put the mask on. I wore my mask probably a total of a few minutes a day counting going into stores.

Everyone else I know who's not working from home is like that too. It seems like no one wears masks around the people they interact with daily.

You'll own nothing and you'll be happy!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by legumeofterror View Post
    Uh... Try again.
    No one is wearing an “approved mask with proper certification and fitment” outside of the medical field.

I don’t know about you, but people are not wearing properly fit tested and certified N95 and N99 masks to the grocery store, restaurant, library, etc- here in CO.

People are wearing face diapers and it’s a joke thinking they do anything...
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    The masks my wife uses are on the CDC list of NIOSH-Approved N95 Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators. Been using them since last summer. Apparently, they fit my wife's face well as she was told by more than one doctor at the hospital she was admitted to (unrelated to Covid). They're not cheap but neither is my wife.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    The masks my wife uses are on the CDC list of NIOSH-Approved N95 Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators. Been using them since last summer. Apparently, they fit my wife's face well as she was told by more than one doctor at the hospital she was admitted to (unrelated to Covid). They're not cheap but neither is my wife.
    I do realize some folks are wearing proper N95 or better rated masks, fewer are wearing them fitted and properly, however- that is a very small minority of folks and most people are wearing masks that do little to nothing and they aren’t even using them correctly as a single use mask- would you agree?
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    I do realize some folks are wearing proper N95 or better rated masks, fewer are wearing them fitted and properly, however- that is a very small minority of folks and most people are wearing masks that do little to nothing and they aren’t even using them correctly as a single use mask- would you agree?
    That's exactly what I am seeing.
    The mask has become a talisman of invincibility, telling someone that their single use nose diaper that is now a week old isn't helping them blows their minds.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast