Thread: Form 1 guidance needed (IL specific)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Form 1 guidance needed (IL specific)

I’m in the process of SBRing my MK18 and I wanted to make sure I’m doing everything I need to. I’ll be going the eform route.

I live in IL so in order to own an SBR I need to have an 03 FFL (curio & relics). Check.

I need to have the lower engraved with my name, city, and state. That’s currently in progress, but I’m wondering if I’ll run into issues because I just put my middle initial rather than my full middle name...

I need to fill out my eform 1 with my info, add my firearm as a line item, measure OAL without creating an illegal SBR in the process, notify CLEO, and pay $200. I’ve filled out the app and saved it, and I’m just waiting to get the lower back so I can make sure the engraving is correct. I believe the eform automatically notifies my CLEO, but if I’m mistaken please let me know.

I also know I need to get fingerprinted and send those in with a cover letter. I purchased the official cards from amazon, now I just need to get the prints done.

My main question/uncertainty revolves around my 03 FFL. All NFA “how-to” guides I’ve found are for those living in free states who do not have to jump through these extra hoops. I found information online that provides guidance on how to associate my FFL with my eform account (link and quote below). What I’m not understanding is the 9-digit EIN part. Is that provided to me somewhere on my FFL to paperwork, or do I need to take an extra step to obtain an EIN? I was able to associate the FFL to my account as described in the first procedure, but I’m not sure that’s sufficient for applying for an SBR. Or am I overthinking things and the FFL/NFA association is for “real” FFLs?

Procedure
    Click on the My Profile tab
    Then click the FFL/AECA/EIN Access tab
    Then click on the Request Access button
    A Request FFL/AECA access window will appear

For FFL association (not including NFA filings)
    • Enter the first 3 digits and then the last 5 digits of the FFL number
    • EIN entry is optional
    • Do not enter an AECA registration number
    • Select the role
    o SuperUser(aSuperUserisrequiredforeachFFLaccount) o Delegate
    o Submitter
    • Click the Requested Access button to submit the request. An information notice is generated to advise that the request went into pending status.

For FFL association and NFA filings
    • Enter the first 3 digits and then the last 5 digits of the FFL number
    • Entry of a valid 9-digit (no hyphens) EIN is required
    • Do not enter an AECA registration number
    • Select the role
    o SuperUser(aSuperUserisrequiredforeachFFLaccount) o Delegate
    o Submitter
    • Click the Requested Access button to submit the request. An information notice is generated to advise that the request went into pending status.
    • The NFA/EIN association process is a two-part approval. The FFL information will first be validated and there will be a status change shown in the system. The second part involves the checking of the EIN. For NFA transfers in eForms, the EIN is used to capture the inventory information of the requestor. As such, the NFA Division will check the inventory for the specific EIN before approving the association request.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/16...45780298993871

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    I need to have the lower engraved with my name, city, and state. That’s currently in progress, but I’m wondering if I’ll run into issues because I just put my middle initial rather than my full middle name...
    No. Just make sure that whatever you engrave matches whatever appears in the Additional Description field on the form. This will include your name, city and state.

I believe the eform automatically notifies my CLEO, but if I’m mistaken please let me know.
    You are absolutely mistaken. When you print the full form, multiple pages will come out. Some of the pages are marked ATF Copy at the bottom and some are marked CLEO Copy at the bottom. Send in the ones marked CLEO copy to your CLEO. Be sure to print on both sides of the paper. Do not do this until you're emailed the version that comes with the finger print card cover letter.

I also know I need to get fingerprinted and send those in with a cover letter. I purchased the official cards from amazon, now I just need to get the prints done.
    You've wasted some money. You can get the fingerprint cards for "free" directly from the ATF's website. That's how whoever sold them to you got them.
    https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form

My main question/uncertainty revolves around my 03 FFL. All NFA “how-to” guides I’ve found are for those living in free states who do not have to jump through these extra hoops. I found information online that provides guidance on how to associate my FFL with my eform account (link and quote below). What I’m not understanding is the 9-digit EIN part. Is that provided to me somewhere on my FFL to paperwork, or do I need to take an extra step to obtain an EIN? I was able to associate the FFL to my account as described in the first procedure, but I’m not sure that’s sufficient for applying for an SBR. Or am I overthinking things and the FFL/NFA association is for “real” FFLs?
    EIN is an employer identification number. I don't see how you'd have one. I also have a C&R and I do not put it on the forms I submit. They've all been approved without issue. That said, you're in a different position because the ATF knows that a C&R license is required for you. I'm afraid if you leave it off they'll deny it because one is required. Of course this goes right back to your EIN issue. Can you just leave it blank or put N/A?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    No. Just make sure that whatever you engrave matches whatever appears in the Additional Description field on the form. This will include your name, city and state.

You are absolutely mistaken. When you print the full form, multiple pages will come out. Some of the pages are marked ATF Copy at the bottom and some are marked CLEO Copy at the bottom. Send in the ones marked CLEO copy to your CLEO. Be sure to print on both sides of the paper. Do not do this until you're emailed the version that comes with the finger print card cover letter.

You've wasted some money. You can get the fingerprint cards for "free" directly from the ATF's website. That's how whoever sold them to you got them.
    https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form

EIN is an employer identification number. I don't see how you'd have one. I also have a C&R and I do not put it on the forms I submit. They've all been approved without issue. That said, you're in a different position because the ATF knows that a C&R license is required for you. I'm afraid if you leave it off they'll deny it because one is required. Of course this goes right back to your EIN issue. Can you just leave it blank or put N/A?
    I just submitted my application. I was able to leave out the EIN, so I'll update if (hopefully WHEN) it gets processed. Next steps will be to notify CLEO and get fingerprinted. Thank you for the reply!