Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me why I like my SA Custom Shop FBI Professional so much?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Can someone tell me why I like my SA Custom Shop FBI Professional so much?

I really shouldn’t like it.

It is heavy. Even empty it weighs more than a fully loaded polymer gun.

It only has 10+1 capacity (with an extended mag).

The grip with a 10rd extended mag is longer than the grip on an M9 with a 20rd extended mag.

It isn’t modular. In fact, I had to search just to find a Custom 1911 that accepted a light.

It’s a BEAR just to get the slide off (I actually need a tool because the bushing/barrel/slide fit is so tight) and extremely complicated by modern standards to completely disassemble.

It was expensive. I bought it used and still could’ve bought five Glock 19s for the same price. Or nightvision. Or an SR15. Or an ATV.

So why is it my favorite handgun? Why did I buy multiple cases of .45 ACP at gouging-level prices so I can continue shooting it? Why do I shoot it every chance I get? Why do I sit at my desk and play with it when I don’t get that chance? Why do I have multiple sets of Cocobolo grips? Why is shooting this at steel more fun than shooting another handgun at steel? Why can’t I shoot it worse than a 100-3x at a 25y B8? Why do all the old guys at the range give me that look of “Wise choice, young man...” when I bring it out? Why do I like it even though my friends say I should put it on bread with peanut butter (Jam joke - even though it runs flawlessly)

None of this makes any sense...
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Supply pics I will tell you why you enjoy it so much

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Fortunately, “making any sense” isn’t necessary.

I’m sure a number of us share your condition. : )
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    As a recent 1911 owner after decades without I understand completely. I bought the Pro in 9mm and a couple others in .45. I've been buying .45 at exorbitant prices just to shoot the .45's when I economically shouldn't be. Basically 25 years of 1911's and 20 without. Pistol shooting is fun again. Of the several I've bought my favorites are the Pro 9mm without a rail and a Long Beach Operator in 45 with the rail. I can't see me ever being Glockless but I also see no reason not to keep 1911's as well.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    You just talked yourself into a great pistol, 1911s don't make sense until you shoot one.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Why do you like that gun???

The same reason some choose a Rolex over a Timex or a BMW over an accord.

You need to start hand loading. Shoot some 185 g SWC through that and you will laugh. You will also save a lot of cash

Feedback Score
    Because its awesome. 1911's are cool, and the reality is you will likely never need more than 8 rounds....you most likely will never use the gun besides your own entertainment.

Ironically, I was in the spot you were just a couple years ago. Thought I'd be there forever, but decided to consolidate to the G19. 1911's are gone (even though I loved them). Sold the BMW for an F150. Did buy a Rolex.

If you enjoy it, roll with it.

Its all perspective. No right or wrong.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nothing beats the classic look and feel of a 1911.... I didn't realize it until I bought one a year or so ago.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There's more to life than simple utility.
    "One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think."
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    "1911's have a soul; character." - Ken Hackathorn
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast