Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me why I like my SA Custom Shop FBI Professional so much?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not all FBI Special Agents liked the Springfield pistol. I am a former Agent. I am good friends with a recently retired Agent who was the lead swat team leader for his office. They were all assigned the Springfield 1911. After a considerable amount of training and shooting, ALL of the Agents on the swat team in this particular office decided not to use the issue Springfield, and instead all bought Glock 21's. Why? The Springfield's were too troublesome and unreliable for the Agents to have confidence in. Just one office, but definitely the other side of the story.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    “Reliability” in the 1911 is a function of dedication in learning and maintaining that format.
    I seriously doubt the SA pistols were somehow lacking.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    Not all FBI Special Agents liked the Springfield pistol. I am a former Agent. I am good friends with a recently retired Agent who was the lead swat team leader for his office. They were all assigned the Springfield 1911. After a considerable amount of training and shooting, ALL of the Agents on the swat team in this particular office decided not to use the issue Springfield, and instead all bought Glock 21's. Why? The Springfield's were too troublesome and unreliable for the Agents to have confidence in. Just one office, but definitely the other side of the story.
    If I wanted to make sure I made it to work on time I’d take a Toyota Camry.

If I wanted to enjoy my commute I’d drive a Lotus.

One is simple and reliable, the other isn’t.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know a man on an FBI Regional SWAT Team, very good shooter. One of their qual stages is 17 rounds from the draw into an 8" circle at 5 yards, with a reload after 10 rounds, no misses. 13 second time limit, 11 seconds is advanced. He says it's much easier with a G17 vs a 1911. I passed it cold with a G19. I've never tried it with a 1911.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I know a man on an FBI Regional SWAT Team, very good shooter. One of their qual stages is 17 rounds from the draw into an 8" circle at 5 yards, with a reload after 10 rounds, no misses. 13 second time limit, 11 seconds is advanced. He says it's much easier with a G17 vs a 1911. I passed it cold with a G19. I've never tried it with a 1911.
    Are you....the Dave Williams?

Like the guy who built my handgun?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’m doubting this is the 1911, SA Custom Shop Dave W.
    The likelihood of the 1911 Smith Dave Williams having shot a drill with a Glock, and not with a 1911 are extremely small.

I also question why a “precision/speed drill” would be easier with a Glock than a 1911; the comparative shit nature of the Glock trigger alone would seem a handicap.
    Last edited by gaijin; 02-21-21 at 06:16.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Double.....
    Last edited by gaijin; 02-21-21 at 06:13.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I’m doubting this is the 1911, SA Custom Shop Dave W.
    The likelihood of the 1911 Smith Dave Williams having shot a drill with a Glock, and not with a 1911 are extremely small.

I also question why a “precision/speed drill” would be easier with a Glock than a 1911; the comparative shit nature of the Glock trigger alone would seem a handicap.
    Good points. I didn’t want to argue the second point until I was sure on the first haha.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I have no reason to doubt what you're saying. However, the three local FBI SWAT guys I spent time with loved the Pro's. There's also a lot of variables that go into it. Did your guy put in 20,000 rounds with Glocks? Most shooters now never learned to swipe a safety so that could be a hindrance. Of course there's the 9mm thing. I have carried Glocks daily since 2000 and still do but if they were universally better I would think they would dominate the shooting sports as well. My Pro is in 9mm and I can tell you that I shoot faster and more accurately with it than the Glock 19 or 19X and that's after a 20 year hiatus from 1911's.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Every HRT dude I’ve met (regular contact 2005-2015) was carrying a Glock, and could use them very well. I never gathered how they felt about 1911s.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast