Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduce Me to Good Jazz Music

Feedback Score

Introduce Me to Good Jazz Music

I am not familiar with jazz music at all outside of what one who never pays attention to it would hear on tv commercials, movies, radio, etc.

So to any and all members of M4C—from the casual listeners to hardcore jazz-junkies—who are some good musicians and artists that I should look to to get a good introduction to jazz music?

For a touch more context and because I am pretty sure there are different types of jazz music (classical, smooth, etc.) the movie Collateral is on, so that is what planted the seed and got me thinking about it. So it is that kind of jazz that I’m referring to..

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Saying "jazz" is like saying "classical". Not all 'old' music is classical; classical is a time period. There are also romantic, baroque, etc.

Jazz comprises tin pan alley, Dixieland style, Chicago style, big band/swing, bebop, prebop, postbop, free, fusion, and about three or four others. I like most of it, and have played most of it (I was a bassist) in a college jazz ensemble and a few small jazz quartets and quintets--strictly for fun, never good enough to be pro, though I have played with some people who have Grammies.

My favorite period is 50s-late 60s, prebop/bebop, Thelonius Monk, Miles David, John Coltrane, etc. I do dig some of the older big band style with Mel Torme', Sinatra, etc. My two favorite jazz artists are pianists Vince Guaraldi (Charlie Brown music) and Dave Brubeck.

I would start with the major mid-century jazz greats (Monk, M Davis, Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Max Roach, Hawkins, etc.) and go from there.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    My favorite, would be up-tempo contemporary (especially 1990's) "smooth jazz/fusion."

The Rippingtons, The Yellowjackets, Chick Corea (who just recently passed away ), Acoustic Alchemy. Even a lot of Mark Knopfler's solo stuff falls into that category as well.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    My favorite, would be up-tempo contemporary (especially 1990's) "smooth jazz/fusion."

The Rippingtons, The Yellowjackets, Chick Corea (who just recently passed away ), Acoustic Alchemy. Even a lot of Mark Knopfler's solo stuff falls into that category as well.
    Chick Corea was also big in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. His stuff is influenced by bebop. He had a song that I can't recall that had a bizarre-ass time of 22/8.

If you like some of the more contemporary stuff also check out the Pat Metheny Group.
    Last edited by chuckman; 08-23-21 at 08:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check out Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich for some outstanding jazz drumming.

Feedback Score
    My favorites are Art Pepper, thelonius monk, Coltrane, Brubeck. Miles may be the easiest to listen to but I just love the west coast jazz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So much choice. When you really get into jazz it becomes an almost endless rabbit hole. You think to yourself, man that drummer is good, wonder who he is? You look him up, check a couple of albums, figure out a few more he played on for others and on it goes.

I got into jazz from my dad when I was younger. Listened to a lot of Coltrane, Lee Morgan and Freddie Hubbard. Like anything, I kind of cycled out for a while and then on a long flight 5 years ago, I listened to Miles Davis Kind of Blue. I was familiar with the track So What but it was odd that possibly the greatest jazz album of all time I was not really familiar with. It rekindled my interest in Jazz again and since then I branched out into so many different artists. If you start with Miles Davis and look at the players on his great quintets, you will have your hands full. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Davis_Quintet

It’s tough to go wrong with much from Herbie Hancock’s catalog, especially if you like the later fusion stuff where electric comes in. Donald Byrd is also great in this era. Jackie McLean is a very underrated sax player, as is Kenny Dorham on trumpet. You will get lost in decades of Art Blakey. Possibly one of the most prolific artists as a band leader and sideman. The line up of his Jazz Messengers band changes throughout the years with so many important artists getting their start with him. One of my recent discoveries is Stanley Turrentine, a sax player with a lot of more bluesy stuff in his catalog. His album with the Three Sounds is fantastic. The dude I’m listening to a lot lately is Bobby Hutcherson, a vibes player. Something a little different than what I usually listen to but all from the same main era, early 60’s to early 70’s. I recommend the Kicker, Happenings and Oblique.

I could go on but some this should get you going have fun!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    More along the lines of "Jam Jazz" for lack of a better word but Medeski Martin and Wood are amazing. Numerous side projects from all of those members as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    My favorites are Art Pepper, thelonius monk, Coltrane, Brubeck. Miles may be the easiest to listen to but I just love the west coast jazz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Art Pepper, fo' sho'....
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
    More along the lines of "Jam Jazz" for lack of a better word but Medeski Martin and Wood are amazing. Numerous side projects from all of those members as well.
    MMW is a great trio. A good example of modern improvisational jazz. They have a great album with John Scofield. On the same note as those guys, Jazz Mandolin Project is another good listen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast