Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Newb loading / reloading questions

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Good to know.

But auto pistol rounds don't normally have a roll crimp, do they?
    Generally not. Taper crimp dies may be used for either.

Andy

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Thanks. Yea, they drop in just fine.

I have some Frankfort Arsenal lube in a pump bottle. I can just lightly spray / wipe some on the outside of my cleaned pistol cases if they have little to no friction going into the dies, yes?

Is it okay if any gets inside the case? Trivial amount maybe?
    Lube inside the case can negatively affect the powder, though I am unfamiliar with the Frankfurt Arsenal variety. I use Imperial Sizing wax- a little goes a very long way and, not being a liquid or spray, I find that it's much easier to keep out of the inside of the case.

Feedback Score
    But auto pistol rounds don't normally have a roll crimp, do they?
    No. The reason that you taper crimp is to remove the remaining flare from the belling step so that the cartridge will feed correctly and headspace properly (this is more theory though because most auto pistol cartridges actually are headspaced by the extractor). You can actually reload an auto pistol cartridge without having to bell and taper crimp if you choose a bullet that has a rebated base. Since the purpose of the belling step is to flare the case mouth just enough to allow the bullet to get started seating, this doesn't have to be done if the bullet has a rebated base. Below is a picture of a Zero 147gr JHP bullet with a rebated base.

Feedback Score
    I see. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I fired my first reloaded ammo today.

First I made sure my chrono was working correctly with 5 rounds of CCI .32 acp Blazer (low-po even for .32) from my Beretta 81FS. (about 850 fps)

Then I ran 5 rounds of factory Ultramax Cowboy .44 Russian 200 gr.

750, 788, 775, 762, 782.

H: 788
    L:750
    Avg: 771
    ES:38

Then I ran my reloads. 1st shot: 1300 fps!

But if felt like the Ultramax and I've fired .44 mag before and this wasn't it. The casing came out easily so, bad read.

2nd shot: 1700 fps. Really? 10 test rounds it works fine but NOW it wants to mess up?

Anyway, the other 8 rounds measured fine.

739, 727, 775, 740, 739, 746, 755, 733.

H:755
    L:727
    Avg: 744
    ES: 28

Not bad!

The Ultramax is quite accurate from this gun but I didn't have any more reloads to test accuracy and point of impact. Judging from the target way down range it seemed on par with the Ultramax.

So, I'll definatly load up more with this 4.0 grs, but shouldn't I load up a couple other batches with more or less powder to compare POI and precision?

How much powder should I add or take away? 5%? 10%? 15%? 20%?

I'd load up a few more for testing, perhaps 15-20 of each powder charge.

It was nice to finally fire ammo I'd put together after buying so much gear and learning and learning.

Thanks for the help!

Feedback Score
    doubletap

Feedback Score
    Then I ran my reloads. 1st shot: 1300 fps!

But if felt like the Ultramax and I've fired .44 mag before and this wasn't it. The casing came out easily so, bad read.

2nd shot: 1700 fps. Really? 10 test rounds it works fine but NOW it wants to mess up?

Anyway, the other 8 rounds measured fine.

739, 727, 775, 740, 739, 746, 755, 733.

H:755
    L:727
    Avg: 744
    ES: 28

Not bad!

Not bad at all! Those extreme spread numbers are enviable: You're doing it right.

How far were you from the chrono? IME, if you're too close (within 10-15'), then the chrono will "see" the muzzle blast and produce absurd readings.

Assuming the other readings are correct, then it looks like you've approximately matched the factory ammo.

If it were me, I would just keep loading 4.0gr, or perhaps step down to 3.5gr and see what happens...

Also, if you can, shoot 10 or more over the chrono: That'll balance out oddball readings and give you more accurate average and (probably) a lower SD.

Feedback Score
    So, I'll definatly load up more with this 4.0 grs, but shouldn't I load up a couple other batches with more or less powder to compare POI and precision?

How much powder should I add or take away? 5%? 10%? 15%? 20%?

I'd load up a few more for testing, perhaps 15-20 of each powder charge.

It was nice to finally fire ammo I'd put together after buying so much gear and learning and learning.

Thanks for the help!
    Most definitely move the charges around some and see what is most accurate in that particular gun. Would be absolutely normal for you to notice a difference and does not always take much of a change in powder throws / weights to see the difference in accuracy...

Last pistol I worked up a load for it was plain as day how the groups got smaller and smaller as the charge increased from 4 to 5 grains of powder.

Awesome to hear you making progress and getting to fire off your OWN loads sir!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Not bad at all! Those extreme spread numbers are enviable: You're doing it right.

How far were you from the chrono? IME, if you're too close (within 10-15'), then the chrono will "see" the muzzle blast and produce absurd readings.

Assuming the other readings are correct, then it looks like you've approximately matched the factory ammo.

If it were me, I would just keep loading 4.0gr, or perhaps step down to 3.5gr and see what happens...

Also, if you can, shoot 10 or more over the chrono: That'll balance out oddball readings and give you more accurate average and (probably) a lower SD.
    Thanks! Being patient with the Lee beam scale paid off.

I'd say the muzzle was within 15 feet of the chronograph. I'll go further back next time.

I haven't inspected the gun yet for leading but, I fired 45 more rounds of the Ultramax after my ammo so I'll have to clean it and check that next time.

It's such a fun gun to shoot I cant put it down without firing at least a box. 😄

Still waiting on small primers for my .32 Long and primers and bullets for my .25 acp.

Once I get those going my first attempt at rifle will be .308 win.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314