Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb loading / reloading questions

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Yep, 7000gr/lb will go a long long way in a pistol that uses small charges of a fast-burning powder like Winchester 231.
    Agree, the right powder can load close to 2K of 9mm based on powder & bullet weight! I know things are sketchy but I was looking around early afternoon and Powder Valley had several powders listed !! I didn't need anything I was just looking, so I emailed a group of my buddies and then called another! Anyways I figured I'd give it a shot, so by the time I did all that got what I wanted in the cart, and was ready to check out everything was gone, LOL !! They had Titegroup, a great choice for 9mm & 45acp, they also had HS-6, never used it but I believe it was a handgun powder. They had H4350 & Varget along with H110, great 357/44mag & 300BLK Out powder. Anyways keep looking, check back daily some times hourly,, ya just never know what ya could run into!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Agree, the right powder can load close to 2K of 9mm based on powder & bullet weight! I know things are sketchy but I was looking around early afternoon and Powder Valley had several powders listed !! I didn't need anything I was just looking, so I emailed a group of my buddies and then called another! Anyways I figured I'd give it a shot, so by the time I did all that got what I wanted in the cart, and was ready to check out everything was gone, LOL !! They had Titegroup, a great choice for 9mm & 45acp, they also had HS-6, never used it but I believe it was a handgun powder. They had H4350 & Varget along with H110, great 357/44mag & 300BLK Out powder. Anyways keep looking, check back daily some times hourly,, ya just never know what ya could run into!
    Yea! That happened to me with primers and powder recently!

The primer event hurt worse. In the cart and while putting in my card number the total went to $0.

No doubt it went to a guy increasing his stash from 45k primers to 50k primers and he hasn't fired a shot since the 20 rounds he fired in April 2020.

I did get some powder. Just 14 oz of Hogdon 700X. Was on my list of "2nd choices".

I also have a new Lee .44 Russian die set coming. I'll need to find out how much I should start with but I think it will work in the caliber. 200 gr lead bullets.

Feedback Score
    Got .32 dies ordered.

Now I just need primers (small or large) and a tumbler w/corn. Another powder option would be nice.

I can't just handwash some cases in detergent for starters?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Yes, you can just wash the cases and dry them. If they have dirt (soil) on them, they can scratch your dies.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Yes, you can just wash the cases and dry them. If they have dirt (soil) on them, they can scratch your dies.

Andy
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Does anyone know if you could use a small magnum pistol primer in place of a small rifle primer ? I am reloading .223 and just exhausted my small rifle primer supply but have plenty of SMPP's. Please advise ?

Feedback Score
    I've never heard of someone doing that. I've heard of people using small rifle primers for some magnum pistol cartridges, but not the other way around.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by meausoc View Post
    Does anyone know if you could use a small magnum pistol primer in place of a small rifle primer ? I am reloading .223 and just exhausted my small rifle primer supply but have plenty of SMPP's. Please advise ?
    I wouldn't do this. Rifle primers are harder than small pistol or small pistol magnums. As you know, the firing pin on your ar makes contact with the primer when you chamber a round. I haven't tried loading 5.56 with magnum pistol primers but I wouldnt be surprised if you had a slam fire
    Last edited by signal4l; 02-27-21 at 17:13.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by meausoc View Post
    Does anyone know if you could use a small magnum pistol primer in place of a small rifle primer? I am reloading .223 and just exhausted my small rifle primer supply but have plenty of SMPP's. Please advise ?
    I'm not sure about this. I "think" it has something to do with the cup thickness that's why rifle primers in pistol ammo don't always go off depending on the style of gun, hammer versus striker. I think the thinner cup could raise problems for you in a rifle.

Feedback Score
    I'm a little confused about Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Dies.

I have a .44 Russian die set and a .32 S&W Long/Magnum set on the way.

I didn't think I needed the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die because these are revolver rounds and the die sets do a roll crimp already.

Then I learned the LCFCD also proof-sizes the cases so they fit in and out of the chambers properly with just gravity. (Not having to push them in or pull them out) I want to make nice ammo, not ill-fitting junk.

So I've ordered LCFCD's for both my die sets.

Question #1. Will I adjust my bullet seating / crimping die so they only seat bullets? Nobody mentions that but it makes sense to me because the LCFCD will be doing the crimping now.

New topic: OAL

I'm considering loading .32 acp and .25 acp eventually, too. Some of my .25's have issues with bullets engaging the rifleing when chambered, thus making it so I have to poke the bullet from the muzzle to remove an unfired cartridge. (No extractor) This only happens with some brands, so I don't buy those anymore but have them.

Question #2. How can I avoid this when loading my own ammunition? Set the bullet back, right?

Question #3. I adjust the bullet seating die to set the depth of the seating and thus overall length, right?

Question #4. Loading auto pistol rounds without a die such as the LCFCD is dumb, isn't it? Because won't that lead to stoppages? This is a concern because Lee does not make a LCFCD for the .25 acp.

And no, no luck on primers.
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-28-21 at 01:53.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast