Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Newb loading / reloading questions

Feedback Score
    What do you do when you can't find load data for what you want to do?

For example, I have .44 Russian cases, 200 gr lead bullets, CFE pistol and 700X powders.

I can't find load data except one exception: LoadData.com.

Should I just go ahead and pay for access? Is it good info?

Could I do something like, use 240 gr bullet data for .44 Special to get close to the case capacity of a 200 gr bullet in a .44 Russian case?

I see 700x numbers with .44 SPL dancing all around 3.5-6 grs so it would seem I couldn't go wrong starting at about 4.3 grs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    What do you do when you can't find load data for what you want to do?
    Use data that's as close as you can get, and then go from there...

Is it that you can't find ANY load data for .44 Russian using CFE or 700X? Or just not for a 200gr lead bullet?

If the former, then I dunno...

If the latter, then just start with whatever powder charge is listed for a heavier bullet: A lighter bullet invariably means less pressure with the same powder charge, so that'll be safe.

Then, use your chrono to make sure you're in the ballpark velocity-wise, and that'll mean OK pressure-wise.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    We are spoiled for data and 200 gr bullets are a common 44 Russian bullet weight. You are shooting it in a modern full size revolver, right?

Open a spreadsheet or break out a pen and paper and search for load data online. You will be able to find multiple forums (especially cowboy shooting forums) with shooter's loads for that cartridge, powder, bullet weight. When you have data from 10 or so different shooters, check the data against Hodgdon's online data for the 44 Spl and 700x. You should be able to see a trend in the load data. Do not exceed Hodgdon's load data for the 44 spl.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Ok, thanks!

It's a 90's Taurus 5 shot .44 Special 4-inch. It's a handsome, low mileage gun with a good trigger.

Just wanting to load low-cost, mild, accurate ammo for it.

Have a lead on a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog I'll probably end up with, too.

Feedback Score
    I've loaded up 10 rounds of .44 Russian with 200 gr lead pre-lubed bullets and 4.0 gr of 700x. Seated to 1.255-1.265 OAL.

I tried to get a good crimp with the Lee Seating die but while the case is up against the bullet and is very stubborn to come out with my hammer-style puller I cant actually see a crimp like factory .44 ammo has.

I lowered the die twice but it just seems like this die will not put a substantial roll crimp to it.

I used the smallest amount of belling I could and have no issues shaving lead.

I painstakingly weighed every load twice and poured via powder-thru die and funnel. My pocket scale would give a number higher than the Lee beam scale. For example the pocket scale would show 4.1-4.15 gr but the Lee 3.9-4.0.

I trusted the Lee for the final measurement.

I found ONE rando on the internet who reported using this combination of 700x and .44 Russian 200 gr.

I'll fire a shot and if everything seems okay I'll chronograph the rest while checking accuracy.

Feedback Score
    Rom3, Try seating and roll crimping in separate steps. It alleviates much aggravation and you typically get better results.

Feedback Score
    I tried to get a good crimp with the Lee Seating die...
    There's your problem... You're trying to crimp with a seating die.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Rom3, Try seating and roll crimping in separate steps.
    Amen to this...

Feedback Score
    Ok.

So I should raise the seating die to eliminate the crimp feature and add a crimp die to the 4th turret hole?

Any suggestions for that die? Should I get the Lee FCD? Would work okay with lead .430 bullets? (And .313 bullets for my .32 Long / Mag die set?)

Feedback Score
    Ok.

So I should raise the seating die to eliminate the crimp feature and add a crimp die to the 4th turret hole?

Any suggestions for that die?

Or, sell the "combined" die and buy a set of Dillon dies... The easy-clean-out feature alone is worth switching to Dillon.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I've loaded up 10 rounds of .44 Russian with 200 gr lead pre-lubed bullets and 4.0 gr of 700x. Seated to 1.255-1.265 OAL.

I tried to get a good crimp with the Lee Seating die but while the case is up against the bullet and is very stubborn to come out with my hammer-style puller I cant actually see a crimp like factory .44 ammo has.

I lowered the die twice but it just seems like this die will not put a substantial roll crimp to it.

I used the smallest amount of belling I could and have no issues shaving lead.

I painstakingly weighed every load twice and poured via powder-thru die and funnel. My pocket scale would give a number higher than the Lee beam scale. For example the pocket scale would show 4.1-4.15 gr but the Lee 3.9-4.0.

I trusted the Lee for the final measurement.

I found ONE rando on the internet who reported using this combination of 700x and .44 Russian 200 gr.

I'll fire a shot and if everything seems okay I'll chronograph the rest while checking accuracy.
    A properly calibrated beam scale is may be slow, but it very accurate.

Do yourself a favor and get another die to use only for crimping in a separate step. I've found that RCBS seating/crimping dies give excellent deep crimps

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast