Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb loading / reloading questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Casting sounds dangerous. (Lead fumes)
    Just do it in a well ventilated space...

I've never cast my own bullets, because my most dire shortage is time. I do know a lot of guys who cast, though, and even some who make their own shotgun pellets...

Feedback Score
    I'd probably use a crimp because I shoot .32 Long and .32 Magnum from a pair of Ruger LCR's. (17 oz gun)

I'm not sure if I'd load .32 Long and .32 acp. They weren't that expensive in 2019.

It doesn't seem worth the trouble to reload and only save a couple dollars per 50. But when it comes to saving say 30% on a caliber you shoot thousands of rounds a year of it's a good return on your time / effort.

Definitely applies to most revolver calibers.

Feedback Score
    How many times can low-medium pressure rounds like .44 Russian / Spl, .32 Long / Mag, and .32 acp be reloaded?

Seems like at least a dozen or more from what I gather.

Feedback Score
    How many times can low-medium pressure rounds like .44 Russian / Spl, .32 Long / Mag, and .32 acp be reloaded?
    I think it's just about infinite... The cases won't ever shrink/expand enough to matter, and the only real wear'n'tear on them would be sizing and crimping. If you don't overdo those, then they won't wear out.

I load .40S&W really light, and my cases seem to last forever. I have way less than 1% ever that split or whatever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I think it's just about infinite... The cases won't ever shrink/expand enough to matter, and the only real wear'n'tear on them would be sizing and crimping. If you don't overdo those, then they won't wear out.

I load .40S&W really light, and my cases seem to last forever. I have way less than 1% ever that split or whatever.
    Cool!

Feedback Score
    Been learning alot!

Going to start with a turret press.

Narrowed down what i want to reload to .32 acp, .32 H&R Magnum (learned they use use the same dies as .327 Fed) and maybe .44 Russian.

I can start with some books, setting up a station and organize it, and acquiring major items like the press and powder thrower etc. as I find them.

Then I can save and tumble brass, size and deprime when I have the press, and so on.

Reloading a little at a time is a common tip I've read. Spending all day loading rounds from start to finish was not appealing to me.

Feedback Score
    Going to start with a turret press.
    Buy a Dillon RL550C. Accept no substitutes.

Don't take my word for it... Ask the other guys here, or the guys at your local range who reload.

Narrowed down what i want to reload to .32 acp, .32 H&R Magnum (learned they use use the same dies as .327 Fed).
    You would think that would be a big advantage, but it's really not...

Once your dies are set up in a toolhead, you are NOT going to want to change everything to reload a different caliber, and then change everything back to reload the first caliber again.

Trust me, you're going to want to spend <$20 for an extra toolhead and <$80 for an extra set of dies.

If .32ACP and .32H&R will use the same projos and powder, then that's an advantage.

I can start with some books, setting up a station and organize it, and acquiring major items like the press and powder thrower etc. as I find them.

Then I can save and tumble brass, size and deprime when I have the press, and so on.
    This is a good plan... Right now is a HORRIBLE time to get into this.

On the upside, in 6-12 months there's going to be a lot NIB or barely used reloading equipment for sale by the guys who have rushed out to buy it because they're running out of 9mm... They're going to realize that it's really not worth reloading 9mm...

Reloading a little at a time is a common tip I've read. Spending all day loading rounds from start to finish was not appealing to me.
    This is how I do it, these days.

I used to do marathon weekend sessions, and set up everything, load 2,000 rounds in a day or two, and then tear it all down again.

Nowadays, my reloading set-up is permanent, and once a week or so I go spend 2-3 hours reloading. I find it relaxing, even meditative...

Feedback Score
    The Dillon RL550C looks like it has a bit going on for a FNG.

I was leaning towards a Lee Classic and getting extra turrets and dies for the different calibers.

It's all wishes at the moment because almost nothing is available.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Buy a Dillon RL550C. Accept no substitutes.
    This.

I've been reloading for 5-6 years now. Started with a RCBS Rock chucker, moved to a turret, and only recently graduated to a Dillon 550c. I wish I had just started with the Dillon. It is so efficient and fast, it blows any other press I've used out of the water. Yes, it is a bit more complex than a turret or single stage. But once you understand the system and how it works, it can easily be broken down into calibrating each different task it performs. It really simplifies or condenses, what a turret would do (plus non-press related tasks like priming), into a tighter more streamlined package.

Get the Dillon.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I used the Lee Auto indexing turret press for many years. I recently switched to the Dillon 550c. Lee is obviously less expensive and is a bit slower. The priming system can be a bit touchy. You need to adjust it just right or you will drop primers on the floor. Other than that it's a perfect press for a beginner. The fact that it auto indexes makes it very difficult to double charge your cases. It's also very easy to change calibers .550 is a nicer press in a lot of ways but it is a manually indexing press. There are a limited number of powders you can use that will overflow a case in the event of a double charge. Especially now with the shortage you will end up using faster powders like Bullseye, 231, clays or whatever you can get.
    My advice is to start with the lee. You can always sell it later and get the Dillon.
    Last edited by signal4l; 02-07-21 at 09:26.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast