Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb loading / reloading questions

Feedback Score
    My advice is to start with a single stage press in order to learn all of the steps. Then add a progressive press when you're confident that you understand the process. I use my progressive press for high volume cartridges (such as 9mm), but continue to use my single stage press for low volume cartridges (such as 7.7Jap).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    The Dillon RL550C looks like it has a bit going on for a FNG.
    Nonsense. I started on a Dillon RL550 and never looked back, and I'm not especially mechanically inclined. It's really quite easy.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post
    ... once you understand the system and how it works, it can easily be broken down into calibrating each different task it performs.

Get the Dillon.
    This is it... With the Dillon, you set up each stage, one at a time, and then once all four are set, then you're cranking out ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    My advice is to start with a single stage press in order to learn all of the steps...
    For all the single-stage fans, you can simply use only one position of a progressive, and then it's a single stage...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    For all the single-stage fans, you can simply use only one position of a progressive, and then it's a single stage...
    You can, but if you have your progressive setup for a particular high volume cartridge and just want to load a few of something else, you'll have to break down your progressive setup and the set it up again after you're done loading the other cartridge. Single stage presses are cheap, but it's your time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    You can, but if you have your progressive setup for a particular high volume cartridge and just want to load a few of something else, you'll have to break down your progressive setup and the set it up again after you're done loading the other cartridge.
    I meant that if anybody really thinks that Ron3 or any other FNG isn't smart enough to figure out a progressive, then he could use a progressive as a single-stage, until he is ready to make the baby step to running it as a progressive.

Also, "to break down the progressive setup" is a 2-3 minute job. Disconnect the one clip that connects the powder measure, and then pull two pins and the entire toolhead (with all the dies) comes out. The shell plate is held on by two hex head bolts. Done!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    How many times can low-medium pressure rounds like .44 Russian / Spl, .32 Long / Mag, and .32 acp be reloaded?

Seems like at least a dozen or more from what I gather.
    At least 15-20 times with low pressure handgun rounds. The cases will eventually work harden at the case mouth from expander bell use and then roll or taper crimping the same area in the following stages of loading.

On trimming handgun cases, I’ve never done it. My late father put tens of thousands of rounds of .357 Dow range and reloaded all but maybe 200 rounds of it. He never trimmed cases either, and didn’t have buckets of brass to spread the reloading cycle out on. His brass would fail from split case mouths way before the difference in brass length deviated enough to make seating or crimping inconsistent. I’ve experienced the same results.

As you increase pressure you will shorten brass life. For example my .454 Casull I figure on getting 2-3 full power loads out of a case before relegating it to “practice” or reduced power duty. The primer pockets get a bit loose, and extraction gets sticky. So I mark the cases and put them in the bucket or bag of reduced power brass. My Starline brass is softer than the Winchester brass and I will not use Starline for full power loads.

As for equipment, I run two presses:

My volume loading press is a Dillon XL 650, I like the auto indexing, I love the case feeder, I love having 5 stations so I can run a powder check die for increased safety margin. This one is best used to volume load calibers you plan to shoot a lot and crank out a specific load you know performs well. Swapping over to a new caliber and getting everything set up to run takes about an hour.

My other press is a Redding T7 turret press, which I love for anything in the range of loading 100 rounds at a time or so. Also my go to for anything more precision oriented or specialized. For example my .454 gets loaded on this press because I can feel more through the handle and control what’s going on with the bullet beating seated over compressed powder charges and also applying very heavy crimps. Same for loading my hunting ammo in .280 AI, I might load 20-50 rounds at a time, no benefit in taking an hour to set up the XL 650 for that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Swapping over to a new caliber and getting everything set up to run takes about an hour.
    Just to be clear for everybody watching at home, I'm assuming you mean "Setting up an all-new caliber..."

It takes me about an hour to do that, too, if everything goes well (and it usually does, since I switched to Dillon dies).

If I'm just going from one caliber back to another that I've already set-up in a toolhead, then I can easily switch in less than 15 minutes, and less than 10 if I don't need to switch from large to small primers or vice versa.

Feedback Score
    That is longest case scenario to switch everything needed to run assuming the dies are already set. So going from a press set up to run .45 ACP to 5.56 NATO for example where everything has to be changed.

Since the XL650 is made to run with a case feeder you have extra time to be spent on changing over the various bushings at the top of the press that handle the cases as they arrive from the case feeder and feed tube, as well as changing the camming profile (if needed) from a more rapid feed for rifle cases to drop or a more gradual one for a pistol case or vice versa. Plus there is the case feeder shell plate that may need to be changed.

The shell plate will have to be changed out, as well as the primer feed system.

Assuming a guy or gal doesn't have two powder dispensers you also get to change the adjustable charge bar insert over to either larger volume or smaller volume. Then adjust the powder charge once you get started.

Also if the user chooses to run a powder check die you will need to move that over and insert a new probe that is appropriate for the caliber and adjust it as well.

On average this will take me about an hour if I have to do everything and adjust the powder dispenser, and the powder check die.

Now if I am already set up to run 5.56 for case prep, I can easily swap over to the final load toolhead in 10 minutes or less by just pulling retaining pins taking the toolhead with my de-capping die, resize/trim die and RT1500 off, and putting the final load toolhead back in and hooking up the various bits of the apparatus for the powder thrower and screwing the primer ram back in. Assuming of course that the powder thrower and powder check die are already set up and ready to go for 5.56.

Obviously if a guy or gal wants to invest in a second powder thrower and multiple inserts for the powder check die to leave assembled and adjusted you can cut down on the set up time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    That is longest case scenario to switch everything needed to run assuming the dies are already set. So going from a press set up to run .45 ACP to 5.56 NATO for example where everything has to be changed.

Since the XL650 is made to run with a case feeder you have extra time...
    Aha... That makes sense.

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend an XL650 to a new reloader. I've been reloading 25 years, and I'm not ready for an XL650 yet!

Feedback Score
    The set up process is no more intimidating than a 550, just some extra steps is all.

What you give up on the front end in setup time for major caliber changes you make up for in production rate once you’re running. As mentioned a lot of the ass-pain can be avoided by spending money on pre-set parts of the assembly!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Aha... That makes sense.

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend an XL650 to a new reloader. I've been reloading 25 years, and I'm not ready for an XL650 yet!
    Not sure what that means. Not ready for an XL650. Anyone can use an XL650. They are no harder to set up, and arguably easier to use, than a single stage press.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast