Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg CS is SHI*

Feedback Score

Mossberg CS is SHI*

My first intro to shotguns was the Mossy 500 and 590, I even received a Mav 88 in trade once. I love everything about these pumps, even over any of Remington's offerings. Possibly due to brand allegiance, I settled on a 930 to try out for HD and range fun. Out of the box it was complete shit. After around 6 hours of polishing engagements and cleaning a rusted extractor, it runs everything including reduced recoil loads. I decided to blame Mossberg QC and call it a good design. That was 5 years ago. Last week, I discovered that pushing the bolt release while the bolt is forward will dump the entire magazine tube onto the elevator, inducing one hell of a jammed shotgun. This is marketed now as the "EZ unload" feature, where you can dump the entire mag tube while holding the elevator in the up position. Sounds great for a 3-gun match, but this is marketed as a tactical shotgun. At this point I'm still prepared to defend Mossberg, but then.....then I called customer support. The snootiest female in the state of Texas answered. She demanded this didn't need to be remedied and kept repeating "Just don't hit the bolt release on accident." At one point she repeated this 5 times while talking over me. And that was it. I'm selling this piece of shit that comes factory standard with a "jam my gun" button and buying a Benelli. All the while, I was prepared to defend Mossberg and accept a repair or modification fee up until I spoke to that disgusting baboon from CS.

tl;dr **** Mossberg, buy something else.

Also, this is a serious issue. An accidential bump of the bolt release sends 2 shells onto the loader and requires the operator to manually feed one back into the mag tube through the ejection port.

Anyone else feel like bitching? Let's call this a bitch/gripe/complaint thread.

Feedback Score
    That definitely seems like a feature that should be able to be turned on and off, even if it required an Allen key or partial disassembly to switch. At the very least, it shouldn’t empty the magazine until the elevator is lifted up.

I did find a single situation yesterday where it would be actually be useful, which I hadn’t encountered in ~ 17 years of hunting and shooting with shotguns. A pheasant tower shoot charity event where you move around a circle between 15 stations. They wanted the gun completely empty before moving stations, and each round seemed to end as soon as I had reloaded my mag tube.

On my hunting oriented Weatherby semi-auto, pulling the bolt handle back will empty the chamber, lock the bolt to the rear, but not release a shell onto the elevator, allowing you to make the gun “safe” to cross fences, etc, and get back in the action by hitting the magazine cutoff button to free a round onto the elevator and then the bolt release.

In this situation though I had to repeat that process for every round in the gun to empty it, then pick my shells up out of the grass. So I’m guessing this Mosberg design is driven by “gun gamers” like 3 gun matches where they care about speed and safety rather than function.
    Last edited by Gatorgrizz27; 01-31-21 at 07:38.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    "Just don't hit the bolt release on accident" HAHA! that's why it's called an accident sweetie!

Remember the easy button? Well here's a gun with an ACCIDENT button.

GL sir.
    Benelli will be much better, but also look into a Beretta 1301 if you want a nice hd semi-auto sg.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anyone else feel like bitching? Let's call this a bitch/gripe/complaint thread.
    Substantive discussion about product features, customer service, technology, etc are fine. Rants and raves to make yourself feel better aren't what we do here. I'm going to leave this open though, so others can learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin View Post
    My first intro to shotguns was the Mossy 500 and 590, I even received a Mav 88 in trade once. I love everything about these pumps, even over any of Remington's offerings. Possibly due to brand allegiance, I settled on a 930 to try out for HD and range fun. Out of the box it was complete shit. After around 6 hours of polishing engagements and cleaning a rusted extractor, it runs everything including reduced recoil loads. I decided to blame Mossberg QC and call it a good design. That was 5 years ago. Last week, I discovered that pushing the bolt release while the bolt is forward will dump the entire magazine tube onto the elevator, inducing one hell of a jammed shotgun. This is marketed now as the "EZ unload" feature, where you can dump the entire mag tube while holding the elevator in the up position. Sounds great for a 3-gun match, but this is marketed as a tactical shotgun. At this point I'm still prepared to defend Mossberg, but then.....then I called customer support. The snootiest female in the state of Texas answered. She demanded this didn't need to be remedied and kept repeating "Just don't hit the bolt release on accident." At one point she repeated this 5 times while talking over me. And that was it. I'm selling this piece of shit that comes factory standard with a "jam my gun" button and buying a Benelli. All the while, I was prepared to defend Mossberg and accept a repair or modification fee up until I spoke to that disgusting baboon from CS.

tl;dr **** Mossberg, buy something else.

Also, this is a serious issue. An accidential bump of the bolt release sends 2 shells onto the loader and requires the operator to manually feed one back into the mag tube through the ejection port.
    5 years ago, you bought a gun that didn't meet your expectations. Instead of following through with the manufacturer, giving them an opportunity to fix it, and holding them accountable, you undertook your own fix. For five years you didn't read the manual, learn more about the gun, or use it enough to identify an intentionally manufactured and disclosed feature that was present at the point of sale and that you're now complaining about. I don't know what the OFM employee said or how she said it, but I suspect more than half of the pertinents from the conversation are missing from your post...and your characterizations of her say more about you than anything else in this process.

If the product doesn't meet your needs, buy what does. But own your part of this, and be better next time.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Substantive discussion about product features, customer service, technology, etc are fine. Rants and raves to make yourself feel better aren't what we do here. I'm going to leave this open though, so others can learn.

5 years ago, you bought a gun that didn't meet your expectations. Instead of following through with the manufacturer, giving them an opportunity to fix it, and holding them accountable, you undertook your own fix. For five years you didn't read the manual, learn more about the gun, or use it enough to identify an intentionally manufactured and disclosed feature that was present at the point of sale and that you're now complaining about. I don't know what the OFM employee said or how she said it, but I suspect more than half of the pertinents from the conversation are missing from your post...and your characterizations of her say more about you than anything else in this process.

If the product doesn't meet your needs, buy what does. But own your part of this, and be better next time.
    The manual provided does not mention the "EZ unload" feature. It was not an advertised driving point for the product, either. That was added into later manuals after complaints came in. Also, the issue with reliability wasn't a gripe, as shoddy QC at Mossberg was expected at the time of purchase. Knowing I had the tools and knowledge to fix it was factored into the purchase.

As far as pertinent info from the call, I requested a way to disable the EZ unload. When none was given, I presented my own, being welding the secondary latch on the bolt release. Of course Mossberg can't tell me to take a TIG to their gun, but I was hit with a wave of rude comments and insinuations that I was incompetent for suggesting one might accidentally press the bolt release at the wrong time.

For you to instantly take Mossberg's side on this without even requesting further clarification is a bit disheartening. Can we expect a moderator to chime in defending manufacturers every time there is a threat about a gun's issue? This seems very shill-like behavior. I'd much rather have dialogue with other users than discord with a moderator accusing me of telling half-truths.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Geez, what a shit show OP.

Cry harder next time.

Thanks for remembering you had an M4C account and logging on to complain about it here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Geez, what a shit show OP.

Cry harder next time.

Thanks for remembering you had an M4C account and logging on to complain about it here.
    Have you considered trying to take something away from this post? Like the serious disadvantage this shotgun would provide during HD? Or are you just here to polish a mods pole?

They're all rhetorical questions.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    See You Later...

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Since we're talking shotguns with a home defense/duty theme, what pump guns on the market are still trustworthy? Back in the day it was the Rem 870, but it seems like everyone goes to Benelli these days.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yes, as long as the shell release button is depressed on the Mossberg 930, it will disable the shell stop latch and release shells. Don’t press it when the lifter is down and bolt closed. Not the best design.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast