Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nfa removal question.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I’ve done this with a few items.

Not a big deal. Send a letter stating the item is no longer in NFA configuration.

If you never assembled it into an NFA configuration they will give you a refund via your original payment choice (if by eforms) or mail you a check. Takes about 60 days.

Pretty easy.

Feedback Score
    I've done it a couple of times for SBR's that I never assembled. They had me write VOID across the Form 1 and fax it in. I'm guessing the process would be slightly different if you already built it. My last refund literally took of a year and a half. The only reason it got done at that point is that I called in regarding another subject and just happened to ask. The lady I spoke with was like, what? She said she'd get someone on it and I had a refund check in two weeks. The upside is that the pistol that I didn't SBR increased in value while I was waiting. See how much of a help they are.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I’ve done this with a few items.

Not a big deal. Send a letter stating the item is no longer in NFA configuration.

If you never assembled it into an NFA configuration they will give you a refund via your original payment choice (if by eforms) or mail you a check. Takes about 60 days.

Pretty easy.
    After i send the letter and return to previous configuration i can sell to a ffl?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    i had the will power to not buy guns. I even bought a gun store and work for a company that manufactures the forging machines for said guns. I need help.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I've done it a couple of times for SBR's that I never assembled. They had me write VOID across the Form 1 and fax it in. I'm guessing the process would be slightly different if you already built it. My last refund literally took of a year and a half. The only reason it got done at that point is that I called in regarding another subject and just happened to ask. The lady I spoke with was like, what? She said she'd get someone on it and I had a refund check in two weeks. The upside is that the pistol that I didn't SBR increased in value while I was waiting. See how much of a help they are.
    I get no refund unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    i had the will power to not buy guns. I even bought a gun store and work for a company that manufactures the forging machines for said guns. I need help.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    It probably depends on the item. If it’s an SBR, just return it to a 16” configuration and don’t think twice.
    Legally this is incorrect, and I hear it all the time. Some folks have a gross misunderstanding of the rules and regs. Hell, even ATF doesn't know what they are half the time. In any case, ATF accounts for this happening say putting a 16" upper on an SBR receiver, but it is only TEMPORARY according to them. In other words, you as an owner cannot unilaterally change the status of an NFA item, ATF must be notified. Net result is, you cannot legally take an SBR and sell it as a title1 weapon UNLESS, the status of the weapon is changed in the registry.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
    Even if you return it to 16” barrel, the receiver and its serial number remain in the NFA database.
    This is correct. It remains in the registry even when the status is changed back to Title 1. It is never "removed".
    Last edited by juliet9; 02-14-21 at 12:58.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12