Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Case/Brass Shortage?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Case/Brass Shortage?

Is there a shortage of common caliber cases? I know the other components are in short supply, but they are also 1 time use, cases can be reloaded numerous times.

I have some 308 brass I picked up at the range but figure no one wants to mess with 50-60 cases (even paying shipping only). Do we need to scrub our brass stashes and start putting cases in the Pay it Forward thread to help out other shooters?

Andy

Feedback Score
    Speaking only for myself: I'm not short of anything except time.

I have enough cases, projectiles, powder, and primers to shoot for the next 5-10 years. (I learned the lesson of 2008 and 2013.)

I do have a shopping list of stuff I want to order once things go back to normal, but it's nothing urgent, and I'm not lacking anything (except time) to reload, shoot, etc...

If you have good .308 cases to give away, then I suggest giving them away locally...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I was at the range today. I hate going there and only being able to shoot what I have deemed replaceable. these times suck. What are you gonna do? (I don't golf) That's another thread.

I saw exactly what you are talking about! There was no brass. Just piles of rusted steel cases. It was odd. So odd that it stood out to me and my son too. He said "it looks like theres more dirt today."
    BTW this is a range that is owned by the sheriff's department. Mostly LEO's with the exception of a few club members shoot there (most LEO's AFAIK don't pick up their brass).
    Anyways I stumbled across the 5.56 cases that I shot as they were the only things shiny out there. And I happened to find a pile of 300blk cases near the targets where someone must have had a brand new sbr and suppressor and they let 'er rip without realizing those cases were valuable these days.

Not to snub in on you, but PM'd you about 50-60 cases in 308 for the price of shipping.
    Last edited by matemike; 01-31-21 at 23:54.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    I’m wondering if a WTT thread may be useful. For instance I use Lapua and Federal brass in .308, but I have a lot of Winchester, Remington, and military stamp brass laying around that I’d never use. I dunno, just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

WTT thread

I second this.
    Time to set up alternate trade routes gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    I’m wondering if a WTT thread may be useful. For instance I use Lapua and Federal brass in .308, but I have a lot of Winchester, Remington, and military stamp brass laying around that I’d never use. I dunno, just an idea.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    I was at the range today. I hate going there and only being able to shoot what I have deemed replaceable. these times suck. What are you gonna do?
    Keep kicking yourself for putting yourself in this position, and keep reminding yourself to stock up once the guns/ammo market crashes and prices and inventories go back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    I saw exactly what you are talking about! There was no brass.
    That IS weird... My club has just begun allowing lessees (CCW classes, LEO groups) to use it again, and the brass bucket (a 20 gallon drum) was 5-6" deep.

I’m wondering if a WTT thread may be useful.
    Brass doesn't seem that heavy, until you go to ship it... I would post something on a bulletin board at your local club.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Keep kicking yourself for putting yourself in this position, and keep reminding yourself to stock up once the guns/ammo market crashes and prices and inventories go back to normal.

That IS weird... My club has just begun allowing lessees (CCW classes, LEO groups) to use it again, and the brass bucket (a 20 gallon drum) was 5-6" deep.

Brass doesn't seem that heavy, until you go to ship it... I would post something on a bulletin board at your local club.
    Flat rates aren’t bad, you can fit quite a bit in a small box.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Flat rates aren’t bad, you can fit quite a bit in a small box.

I bought 6K of 9mm Brass in early Fall and it fit in a Large Flat Rate Box. It was marked $24 bucks ! Not bad for 6000+ pieces of 9mm. I have also bought from these guys and prices were always fair,, there reflecting the market now I guess, but he still has brass if ya need it.
    https://www.diamondkbrass.com/ I typically shoot every Sunday morning during the Winter months and yesterday was the 1st time I saw a significant amount of brass in the buckets. There is always 22 but not anything else lately. Being the "hoarder" that I am I gabbed it,,about 300 (9mm,150ish 45ACP with some 380 crap mixed in ! Also as good & bad as Gunbroker can be my buddy found mixed 9mm brass around $54ish per 1K & you had to buy 5K I think. Not sure what shipping was or if it was included. That was last week I believe.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I shipped 520rds of 40cal (full bullets in factory boxes @ 20.05lbs) for $16 from a UPS customer center. I figured if you were shipping 1,000 brass of anything other than 50 BMG it would be similar size and less weight; even for 308 brass.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Plenty of brass was found at a local Field and Stream near me. Picked up some Hornady .308 brass but there was all manor of .45/9mm/.38 and even some .300 blk out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast