Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine question, if you please....

Feedback Score

Magazine question, if you please....

If you will all indulge me....

for many years i've used magpul magazines and loved them. I've got...gosh... TONS of aluminum mags... most of which have the old magpuls on the bottom.

I recently picked up a bunch of the newer surefeed mags... and without magpuls on the bottom... they're kinda... sharp.

I guess I'm just used to the polymer ones.

Anyone out there even still use the original magpuls? is there something better for padding them?

I remember wrapping lots of electrical tape back in the day for quick and effective purchase on them and padding the bottom when i slap them home.

Advice?

Thanks!

-E
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    I've used pace tape (aka trainers tape, athletic tape,...) in the past to quiet GI mags from rattling (in older 3 mag pouches). Also works for various types of ID/info. Never felt any need to upcomfy my mags.

I tried the ranger band thing. They work to cut down battle rattle, but you can keep the pull tab BS.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Modern open top single occupancy mag pouches make the old Magpuls obsolete.

I still have a few....and at one point went through the process of removing all the 550 cord pull loops from all my GI mags....and have embraced the new way of things.

Even closed top units, using ones that only hold one, or two mags, you dont need pull tabs, or noise dampener.s.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 02-01-21 at 18:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Modern open top single occupancy mag pouches make the old Magpuls obsolete.

I still have a few....and at one point went through the process of removing all the 550 cord pull loops from all my GI mags....and have embraced the new way of things.

Even closed top units, using ones that only hold one, or two mags, you dont need pull tabs, or noise dampener.s.
    OH... I just kinda meant to pad the bottoms so i dont rip my hands up any.

Just kinda thinkin out loud.

Thanks for your answer sir!!!

-E

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I still use Magpuls on my GI mags. I don't use them to pull the mags out of any mag pouches I might be using. I turn them sideways so they cushion the mag when I drop them on a mag change. I like them for covering any sharp bottom edges too.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 02-02-21 at 11:23.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I still use Magpuls on my GI mags. I don't use them to pull the mags out of any mag pouches I might be using. I turn them sideways so they cushion the mag when I drop them on a mag change. I like them for covering any sharp bottom edges too.
    That is precisely what I was thinking of, sir!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ah, very understandable. To that, I would say, gloves are your friend.

I understand the padding aspect to prevent damage. I myself don't do a whole lot of shooting/training over solid concrete. Rocks and gravel some though.

And this is one of the reasons I have a handful of dedicated training mags, set aside for, well, training.

Other mags, once vetted, stay loaded. These other few can get beat to crap, no stress.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Ah, very understandable. To that, I would say, gloves are your friend.

I understand the padding aspect to prevent damage. I myself don't do a whole lot of shooting/training over solid concrete. Rocks and gravel some though.

And this is one of the reasons I have a handful of dedicated training mags, set aside for, well, training.

Other mags, once vetted, stay loaded. These other few can get beat to crap, no stress.
    Aye aye, sir. I have a few different pairs of gloves... unless i dont.

Always looking to learn too!

thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Entryteam View Post

I recently picked up a bunch of the newer surefeed mags... and without magpuls on the bottom... they're kinda... sharp.

I guess I'm just used to the polymer ones.

Advice?

Thanks!

-E
    For USGI magazines, I am a big fan of the Magpul L-Plate. They offer plenty of protection without much added bulk or weight.

Product Manager at Magpul Industries

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozer View Post
    For USGI magazines, I am a big fan of the Magpul L-Plate. They offer plenty of protection without much added bulk or weight.

VERY interesting, sir.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast