Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic but durable scope recommendations?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Basic but durable scope recommendations?

Is there a basic sub-$500 scope that holds up to regular use on 308 bolts guns, ARs, etc? How do Super Sniper and Primary Arms do? I don't feel like budgeting $1500 for every concept I feel like trying, and I've had exceptionally bad luck with mid-range scopes that try to pack features into a budget version of a nightforce. Sometimes I'd just like a reliable 3x9 or 4x12 that can be thrown on a rifle, sighted in, and just shot with.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 02-01-21 at 14:36.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Anything in the Vortex Viper line would do you well. Probably just north of your preferred price though. $500 is kind of the go/no go for a durable optic. You could get lucky under. But will be safe above that. If you have access to any of the pro deals, explore those for sure.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Super Sniper 10x is a great scope for 300 or 400 dollars. Id spend the extra 100 to get the side parallax over the rear option. Very durable and the ones Ive owned and used had great tracking and glass.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Anything in the Vortex Viper line would do you well. Probably just north of your preferred price though. $500 is kind of the go/no go for a durable optic. You could get lucky under. But will be safe above that. If you have access to any of the pro deals, explore those for sure.
    Are you referring to the PST line?

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    The Super Sniper 10x is a great scope for 300 or 400 dollars. Id spend the extra 100 to get the side parallax over the rear option. Very durable and the ones Ive owned and used had great tracking and glass.
    Thanks! I'll look at those.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'll second the SWFA SS. Fixed 10x is $299 or so and very durable. I actually prefer the rear focus - it means one less glass element, resulting in better optics, and potentially more ruggedness. The SWFA SS 3-9x42 is also an excellent scope.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I'll second the SWFA SS. Fixed 10x is $299 or so and very durable. I actually prefer the rear focus - it means one less glass element, resulting in better optics, and potentially more ruggedness. The SWFA SS 3-9x42 is also an excellent scope.
    Thanks for the input. I'll look at them again.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    For the money the Primary Arms are hard to beat, Mrgunsngear and Garand Thumb have done lots of reviews on youtube along with many others. One of the big selling points with them is the ACSS recticle, yeah they are made in China but since they are our new overlords now that might earn you some points.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've always heard good things about SWFA. And Leupold is a sure thing, and they have many options in your price range.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    Is there a basic sub-$500 scope that holds up to regular use on 308 bolts guns, ARs, etc? How do Super Sniper and Primary Arms do? I don't feel like budgeting $1500 for every concept I feel like trying, and I've had exceptionally bad luck with mid-range scopes that try to pack features into a budget version of a nightforce. Sometimes I'd just like a reliable 3x9 or 4x12 that can be thrown on a rifle, sighted in, and just shot with.
    SWFA fixed classic series or a gently used 3-9 HD. There are few scopes more durable with repeatable adjustments at any price range.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    For the money the Primary Arms are hard to beat, Mrgunsngear and Garand Thumb have done lots of reviews on youtube along with many others. One of the big selling points with them is the ACSS recticle, yeah they are made in China but since they are our new overlords now that might earn you some points.
    Have either of those guys ever reviewed anything and found it to be completely shitty?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast