Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic but durable scope recommendations?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Have either of those guys ever reviewed anything and found it to be completely shitty?
    NOPE........
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Have either of those guys ever reviewed anything and found it to be completely shitty?
    Don't know. But here is Garand Thumb testing the PA 1x6 on a SCAR 17, ran 2,000 rounds through it and did have some issues losing zero and denting tube after dropping rifle on a pile of rocks or tossing rifle 6 feet. So he does report on what he finds, so the PA is not in the same class as a Nightforce or Razor but the real question is how would other budget scopes hold up to the same type of abuse.

Also 9-Hole Reviews has a lot of videos using the PA's and comparing them to higher priced scopes.

https://www.youtube.com/c/9HoleReviews/videos

I do believe for the money the PA's hold their own and are better then many (most?) of the low priced options, you also get the ACSS which is a great reticle.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 02-02-21 at 09:58.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Dont get me wrong these guys have relationships and would like to keep the gravy train running, but Garandthumb has blasted some products on reviews and does talk about all the negatives of a product. I trust him more than some, but always watch with skepticism. He blasted a desert tech gun in a review and the company actually made some changes because of it. There was another where he did the same but i cant remember the gun

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another option is the Nikon Black FX1000 line. Nikon recently got out of the scope business so these scopes are highly discounted. I recently picked up a 4-16 FFP MRAD scope for around 450 that was 900 dollars a couple years ago. Only real downside us not knowing how Nikon will treat any future issues, but they said they will honor their warranty.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Anything in the Vortex Viper line would do you well. Probably just north of your preferred price though. $500 is kind of the go/no go for a durable optic. You could get lucky under. But will be safe above that. If you have access to any of the pro deals, explore those for sure.
    The Viper HS 2.5x10-44 plex reticle is normally available for less then $400, but apparently are "seasonal" or at least not always available. I have no complaints about the one I have mounted on a 30-06. Capped turrets though. The same scope with BDC reticle is $500 and readily available https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...iflescope.html

I am certain you can get a better price if you can join their Pro membership. If you want target turrets, MOA/MRAD reticles, etc, the Viper HS and PST have them, but are over your $500 limit.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-03-21 at 07:36.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The Viper HS 2.5x10-44 plex reticle is normally available for less then $400, but apparently are "seasonal" or at least not always available. I have no complaints about the one I have mounted on a 30-06. Capped turrets though. The same scope with BDC reticle is $500 and readily available https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...iflescope.html

I am certain you can get a better price if you can join their Pro membership. If you want target turrets, MOA/MRAD reticles, etc, the Viper HS and PST have them, but are over your $500 limit.

Andy
    I had a HS 2.5-10, and liked it enough that I miss that particular one(I traded it for moving help). Both of my HS-Ts failed, were sent back, and eventually sold with full disclosure. I still have a Gen2 PST that I'm watching very closely,. If it breaks, it'll be replaced with something different. For current projects, I'm just looking for simple scopes with proven track records.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    The Super Sniper 10x is a great scope for 300 or 400 dollars. Id spend the extra 100 to get the side parallax over the rear option. Very durable and the ones Ive owned and used had great tracking and glass.
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I'll second the SWFA SS. Fixed 10x is $299 or so and very durable. I actually prefer the rear focus - it means one less glass element, resulting in better optics, and potentially more ruggedness. The SWFA SS 3-9x42 is also an excellent scope.
    I have one of these (rear parallax) on a Ruger 6.5cm. I like it for a basic non-illuminated optic.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Another option is the Nikon Black FX1000 line. Nikon recently got out of the scope business so these scopes are highly discounted. I recently picked up a 4-16 FFP MRAD scope for around 450 that was 900 dollars a couple years ago. Only real downside us not knowing how Nikon will treat any future issues, but they said they will honor their warranty.
    These were a crazy good deal about 12 months ago when Natchez and Eurooptic had them in the $400 range. It seems the prices have crept back up and are now closer to $600, which is no longer a great deal for a discontinued scope with iffy future support.

I've also read that Nikon said they will honor the warranty. Important note: Nikon had a poor reputation for warranty service until just the last few years. Nikon makes great cameras but their scopes are a mixed bag - I've owned several, two were defective (both premium - Monarch-X and Monarch 7). I still like my other Monarch-X given what I paid and when, and the Black X1000 was a good deal at $400, but be wary of spending too much on a Nikon.

Vortex has been mentioned. The Razor lines are good, anything below that is iffy at best. I have a PST gen2 that seems good, but the price is bumping up towards higher end stuff. Personally I would skip HS, gen 1 PST, and anything Chinese.

Primary Arms makes good RDS for the price, but IMHO they are not in the league for pricier optics. SWFA actually is, and in fact aimed too high a decade ago with their SS-HD line, all of which were/are good scopes.

Given current sale prices someone may mention Crimson Trace and Brownells. I had one Crimson Trace 5-series and it was junk in multiple ways. Haven't had the Brownells but it appears to be almost the same scope, from the same off-brand (albeit Japanese) maker.

Apart from the SWFA SS models, you can find some good deals on the Burris XTR gen2 and the Bushnell Elite Tactical (made in Japan at LOW) scope right now.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    These were a crazy good deal about 12 months ago when Natchez and Eurooptic had them in the $400 range. It seems the prices have crept back up and are now closer to $600, which is no longer a great deal for a discontinued scope with iffy future support.

I've also read that Nikon said they will honor the warranty. Important note: Nikon had a poor reputation for warranty service until just the last few years. Nikon makes great cameras but their scopes are a mixed bag - I've owned several, two were defective (both premium - Monarch-X and Monarch 7). I still like my other Monarch-X given what I paid and when, and the Black X1000 was a good deal at $400, but be wary of spending too much on a Nikon.

Vortex has been mentioned. The Razor lines are good, anything below that is iffy at best. I have a PST gen2 that seems good, but the price is bumping up towards higher end stuff. Personally I would skip HS, gen 1 PST, and anything Chinese.

Primary Arms makes good RDS for the price, but IMHO they are not in the league for pricier optics. SWFA actually is, and in fact aimed too high a decade ago with their SS-HD line, all of which were/are good scopes.

Given current sale prices someone may mention Crimson Trace and Brownells. I had one Crimson Trace 5-series and it was junk in multiple ways. Haven't had the Brownells but it appears to be almost the same scope, from the same off-brand (albeit Japanese) maker.

Apart from the SWFA SS models, you can find some good deals on the Burris XTR gen2 and the Bushnell Elite Tactical (made in Japan at LOW) scope right now.
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    I'll second the SWFA SS. Fixed 10x is $299 or so and very durable. I actually prefer the rear focus - it means one less glass element, resulting in better optics, and potentially more ruggedness. The SWFA SS 3-9x42 is also an excellent scope.
    I will be another to put the SWFA SS line a thumbs up.
    Good scope for the money.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast