Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Plate carriers which are made overseas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I love the Velocity placards! Do you have any experience with the four mag 5.56 ones? If so, how they in terms of comfort and size compared to the three mag ones?
    No, unfortunately I don't have experience with the 4 mag setup. The only thing I have like that is my original Haley D3 chestrig
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Damn I must be off my game, I haven't thought about Beez systems in awhile and will have to check their cummerbunds out. The shoulder straps don't bother me or cut into my neck, but I didn't really do much in the way of a good amount of time it. I was going to order some plates off of Rogue fitness and do a decent 6-8 miles in it to see how it does overall. I also am ordering some velocity placards for it, as they make simple and easy placards.
    Beez 'bunds are the shit. Got a skeletal one w/tubes, my Banshee is transformed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Beez 'bunds are the shit. Got a skeletal one w/tubes, my Banshee is transformed.
    Yeah, I'm going to have to take a look, I like the elastic on part of the bund because I find it helps in getting air in your lungs when my heart rate is up. The APTUM™ GRID CUMMERBUND 5" looks to be ticket, I'm probably going to go that route.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    How do you feel about the spacing of the shoulder straps on the DM carrier?
    So an update with this. The shoulder straps don't pinch into my traps, but have started to rub into them (mainly neck). The other day on the treadmill I had a light hoodie on, yesterday doing kettlebells wearing a t-shirt I noticed that they rub a bit and sort of left a redmark on my skin (on my neck). I could tighten them down a bit which I think will help but I really like the freedom of movement I have currently. I also like that shouldering a rifle, the stock falls right into my pocket of my shoulder with ease which wasn't something that happened with my old banshee, where it would naturally push off the side.
    Last edited by Hank6046; 03-10-21 at 10:54. Reason: Clarification

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to have to take a look, I like the elastic on part of the bund because I find it helps in getting air in your lungs when my heart rate is up. The APTUM™ GRID CUMMERBUND 5" looks to be ticket, I'm probably going to go that route.
    Be advised, the Grid 'bunds aren't quite like skeletonized bunds - IF it matters to you, you're not going to be able to attach MOLLE pouches/plate bags on both sides.
    The 5" Grid that I had (unless they have changed) had a 4" tall x length of bund cordura area Loop Velcro strip. So, you can still put hook-backed pouches like the FS Ragnar stuff/others on there. If you are going to run side plates, you'd need velcro-backed pouches like what Ferro makes.
    Again, if that even matters, just sayin'...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I love the Velocity placards! Do you have any experience with the four mag 5.56 ones? If so, how they in terms of comfort and size compared to the three mag ones?
    I wanted to try one years back, as it would have solved some issues with mag carriage/quantity for me since I have an extremely limited amount of space to work with.
    After looking around, it seemed there were a lot of folks not so happy with the way the mags overrun the plates on the edges. Frustrating and floppy apparently. Although if you run a Large plate, I'd bet it would be less of an issue.
    I never got one, due to issues other users were annoyed with, so I can't say personally how bad it would be.
    But... I also think it's kind of telling that pretty much everyone producing a front flap/placard/etc kept the standard 3-mag design, not 4...
    YMMV
    The other thing that annoyed me was, having owned a VelSys 3-mag placard (back when I had the SCARAB), I found the velcro Haley/UW style pouches up front less than ideal for my needs, and the molle-fronted VS placard have only 2 rows in the middle for some inexplicable reason. Maybe I could have pestered them to make me a couple with a proper 3-row setup, but I was like "why" when I could buy one of the others on market already set up like that...

Everything was sewn real nice as usual though...

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    In other news, per my comments earlier in the thread, I'm walking that back a bit:
    T3 Gear is OFF my "good guys" gear maker list, now moved to "buyer beware/QC issues" status.
    Just ordered some stuff from them during the sale; many sewing errors resulting in items literally falling apart. Yet, other items in the same order were sewn totally fine. Re-ordered items; new replacement items had same issues.

A bummer to be sure; years back when I ordered some stuff, it was just fine - maybe a little lightly sewn in areas, but I'd seen no worse from several other well known manufacturers. And their prices were usually a bit better than everyone else (especially for GP pouches these days, seriously WTF is up with the 60+ dollar meme-pricing?), especially if they had a sale.
    Here's to hoping they fix their shit, but damn...this was lame and pathetic.

On the bright side, my DefMech order has shipped. Huzzah!
    Last edited by Jellybean; 03-16-21 at 23:10.

Feedback Score
    "everyone wins, don't they?" No.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post

Buying a quality USA made carrier comes with several distinct advantages.

1. Supporting local businesses
    2. Supporting the ORIGINAL designer, not the hack outfits
    3. The quality is better
    4. Not supporting a Communist shit hole nation like China
    5. Pride in knowing you're not a sell out to cheap Chinese garbage.
    The CCP lies, cheats and steals. Washington lies, cheats, steals. The American Corporations lie, cheat and steal. The same goes for people of all stripes. A sin is a sin no matter who's doing it. I'm just at that point in my life that I'm not ok with people selling out and I'm doing everything I can, not to be a part of the problem. Once that veil has been lifted, you realize that you're/I'm part of the problem. Change that and we change the world.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As someone that actually sews gear in America I can tell you a few things about the industry.

1. The idea that "made overseas is garbage" is highly contextual. For example if I was gonna grade Crye on their sewing they would get like a B-. There are plenty of VERY good factories in Vietnam, bangladesh, china, bali, ect that set the bar when it comes to stitching.

2. American fabric mills actually are the best. There's no other way to say it than we have some outstanding chemical manufactures like Dupont that make materials that everyone else is trying to catch up to.

3. If your gear is "reasonably priced" and made from good materials. Congratulations. You have supported slave labor. The gear makers have pretty set prices in their materials. Really the only place to "compete" is on the labor side. This isn't to say slave labor is poor craftsmanship. It's simply stating that the person who spent their time making your product, got paid pennies. Think about it this way. If a plate carrier takes 12 hours to sew, and the sewer is making $15 an hour you are into that plate carrier for $180 just in labor. That doesn't even account for materials, shipping, margins, or taxes. How many of you are actually willing to spend $400 - $500 on a plate carrier? Some are, but most will opt for the sub $150 model.

4. Laser cutting is terribly misused in this industry. As someone with formal training in garment construction it kills me to see all the exposed laser cutting in high wear and high load bearing areas. Flat out: Laser cutting is the cheapest and easiest and least durable way to make a plate carrier. I have seen multiple Crye JPC's tear on their hypalon shoulder straps and laser cut molle is also garbage. When you see a plate carrier with a lot of laser cutting be weary if it's something you expect to actually last. Using laser cutting to actually cut fabric before sewing is a completely different story, and something I am a huge fan of.

It is very challenging to introduce innovative gear that is made in America and high quality. The labor costs can get pretty astounding compared to what the public is condition to paying.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    As someone that actually sews gear in America I can tell you a few things about the industry.

1. The idea that "made overseas is garbage" is highly contextual. For example if I was gonna grade Crye on their sewing they would get like a B-. There are plenty of VERY good factories in Vietnam, bangladesh, china, bali, ect that set the bar when it comes to stitching.

2. American fabric mills actually are the best. There's no other way to say it than we have some outstanding chemical manufactures like Dupont that make materials that everyone else is trying to catch up to.

3. If your gear is "reasonably priced" and made from good materials. Congratulations. You have supported slave labor. The gear makers have pretty set prices in their materials. Really the only place to "compete" is on the labor side. This isn't to say slave labor is poor craftsmanship. It's simply stating that the person who spent their time making your product, got paid pennies. Think about it this way. If a plate carrier takes 12 hours to sew, and the sewer is making $15 an hour you are into that plate carrier for $180 just in labor. That doesn't even account for materials, shipping, margins, or taxes. How many of you are actually willing to spend $400 - $500 on a plate carrier? Some are, but most will opt for the sub $150 model.

4. Laser cutting is terribly misused in this industry. As someone with formal training in garment construction it kills me to see all the exposed laser cutting in high wear and high load bearing areas. Flat out: Laser cutting is the cheapest and easiest and least durable way to make a plate carrier. I have seen multiple Crye JPC's tear on their hypalon shoulder straps and laser cut molle is also garbage. When you see a plate carrier with a lot of laser cutting be weary if it's something you expect to actually last. Using laser cutting to actually cut fabric before sewing is a completely different story, and something I am a huge fan of.

It is very challenging to introduce innovative gear that is made in America and high quality. The labor costs can get pretty astounding compared to what the public is condition to paying.
    Now THAT is a good post! Thank you for that insight.

I'll admit I was always skeptical of the whole laser-cut thing, with regards to load bearing. Nice and slick, and for lighter itemsit's fine, I'm sure.

To clarify, properly sewn PALS webbing is then much stronger, as a mounting platform than laser cut, like say the front if an SKD-STT?

Technical example, not trying to talk crap about SKD. Others have this going too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast