Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plate carriers which are made overseas.

Feedback Score

Plate carriers which are made overseas.

I recently bought an Arbor Arms plate carrier. Nothing fancy, just their Minuteman. I sprung for their simple elastic cummerbund and also a molle / g-hook placard and got the price up to around $170 or so, but I'm very pleased with the purchase. The carrier is well-made and fits great, but it also is minimalist enough that I can shoulder my rifle pretty well and it has a lot of modularity and upgradeability built in. If I decide later that I want to go to a tubes attachment or other attachments with their proprietary three strand cummerbund, I can. it will also work with a JPC style three strand skeletonized cummerbund. They have a cleverly integrated bit of laser-cut paneling instead of molle which gives you a ton of flexibility in how they can be set up and still minimize bulk. Jon Zum is a genius. There are lots of other good plate carriers which are made in the USA, and if my wife knew how many of them I own, she might divorce me.

I've bought and sold kind of a lot of plate carriers. Like, dozens. I'm interested in their fit and function in a positively hyperfocused way which would only make sense if I was in the business of making them or selling them. Which I'm not. It's kind of ridiculous, and maybe in the unlikely event that my sewing skills ever exceed the level of sixth grade home ec, I might try to make one.

Plate carriers are essentially simplified body armor vests. Body armor, the kind that holds at least soft armor panels and possibly also hard panels, is elaborate because it covers more. The shapes have to mitigate bulk better and handle weight distribution differently. Ten years ago, plate carriers were an attempt to do more with less. To maximize mobility while focusing protection where it was needed; thus, a soft body armor panel shrank from a bell shaped torso silhouette overlapping around the ribs and shoulders to a panel not much bigger than a SAPI or shooter's plate, with a long, rectangular soft armor panels in the cummerbund around your sides joining them. The TAG Rampage works this way, among many others.

Fast forward to today, and a plate carrier is often the distillation of the simplest way to connect two plate bags at four points with the maximum amount of comfort and best weight management. This distillation is expressed in elegantly simple designs like the Ferro Concepts Slickster, the Arbor Arms Minuteman, the SKD PIG BRIG and dozens of other vaguely similar designs vying for your dollars. There's a reason the Slickster is never in stock anymore, and why it's possibly the most copied carrier design, right up there with the LBT 6094 and the Crye JPC. Like the Slickster, many designs are starting to omit the oft- unused molle/pals webbing in favor of a dvd case- sized panel of loop closure across the belly to slap a placard to and some webbing or laser cut paneling to attach g-hooks or swiftclips to.

But so what, right? The free market responds to supply and demand and more competition drives innovation and efficiency, so everyone wins, don't they? While I agree with this sentiment, I've noticed something weirdly troubling.

Whenever something is successful in the US, an overseas/ asian manufactured version comes out which duplicates it at a lower price and dilutes the market. Quality may suffer, but it does create options and after all; everyone's doing it. 'That's just how business works these days'. Can you patent a plate carrier design? If so, how much of it? And to what extent do we owe our loyalty and our dollars to those who created these original designs, only to see them cloned and cranked out in quantity, probably in sweatshops which also make high-end sneakers and designer t-shirts and handbags, down the street from the facility making the smartphone I'm using to write this?

Some brands made overseas own their foreign roots, while others may work to conceal them. Brands whose products used to be made in the USA have now integrated items in their lineup which are now made overseas, without exactly calling attention to this. I'm very reluctant to call out any one brand in particular, but I can tell you that the excellent Ares Armor Derma was utterly overshadowed by an overseas-made design which vaguely copied many of it's features but was utterly inferior to it when it came to materials, fit, and durability; and while the simplicity of a design like the Slickster may make the contrast between 'Made in Asia' and 'made in North America' (yes, I know that Ferro Concepts is Canuckistani- I mean, Canadian) seem negligible, people should take stock of both what they're buying and who they're buying it from.

At this point, I should probably cue the eagles to soar overhead and unfurl the American flag to the strains of a hard rock guitar solo or perhaps invoke the "cheap carriers- look, the poors are at it again," trope. Or maybe just assure you that "lifesaving equipment isn't a smart place to cheap out, bro." But I'm not going to.

Instead, I'm going to urge you to look really hard at five or ten different designs which are clones of the Slickster. Plate carriers which join two platebags with a 4" band of elastic on each side and some simple provision to hang a triple magazine placard or chest rig pouch conglomerate off the front. They've often got the name "low-visibility" or some abbreviaton of the same in the title. Look at their price point, too. If they're not being advertised as outright airsoft- grade goods, often they're likely priced at least around what I paid for the Arbor Arms Minuteman, and while they may have all the right 'features', the right styling and marketing and buzzwords, they're an inferior imitation of the genuine article, made by well-meaning citizens of nations whose governments don't have our best interests in mind, and if that isn't becoming more and more clear to you these days, you're not paying attention.

But look closely. I have found at least five carriers which share mild variations on essentially the same plate bag design and elastic cummerbund, often with simple slots sewn into the cummerbund for magazine retention, with the same integral zip closure admin pouch. Some of them share the same shoulder strap shape but have different loop or laser cut paneling on the front, some have two loops of webbing running down each side while others have four, while others still have different shoulder strap shapes integrated into the same plate bag and integrate the swiftclip buckles under some elastic covers to minimize their bulk, but they're all riffs on the same theme and the traits they have in common strongly suggest that while the brand names on them vary, they're all coming from the same factory. That factory is only interested in innovating to the extent of copying the latest innovators but may be distributed by a brand name which can spend big money to get your attention. Again, I'm very reluctant to name names (and I'm not necessarily thinking of the brand names you might expect) but they range in price from as much as $250 to as low as $55 with only what I'd consider to be slight variations in the end product; an extra piece here, an omitted piece there. And I don't mean like the incidental similarity of two products made by two separate parties- I mean like the similarity between the 1990's Geo Prizm and the Toyota Corolla, or the Dodge Stealth and the Mitsubishi 3000GT. Like, they have different headlights but they're the same damn car, most of which came off the same assembly line.

(Also, I am aware that some of the North American brand products might actually be manufactured by "expert seamstresses" in eastern europe somewhere. I'm not talking about that.)

If you're getting impatient waiting for me to get to the point, here it is- it's not that these US / North American brands are simply competing with other small outfits overseas- rather, it's that some of that manufacturing is being shifted overseas where it is highly centralized and greatly homogenized. It's one thing if big brands like Tyr Tactical, Crye Preciaion, Velocity/ Mayflower. TACTICAL Assault Gear and LBT also compete with upstarts like Assault Weapons Systems, Arbor Arms, Ferro Concepts, Spiritus Systems, and SKD Tactical, who also compete with Condor and Emerson, Flyye and Lancer (commonly recognized airsoft brands) but when numerous big marketing budget brands start taking the easy, high-margin route with variants of the same overseas- made Slickster clone, you should start to take note that while all of them are attaching the perceived cache of their brand name to these products ( originating from likely the same factory) and hyping them up to you, at least one of them thinks they can sell you essentially the same item for $55 each and still squeeze out some kind of margin on them. That should alert you to the actual value of what you're buying, all of which is a really roundabout way of asking you "if you were going to spend $150 anyway on something that's probably worth about $50, why the hell didn't you just buy an Ares Arbor Minuteman with the elastic cummerbund? Or at least wait for the Slicksters or LV119's to be back in stock?"

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/221b-t...e-carrier.html

https://bulletproofzone.com/collecti...e-carrier-socc

https://bulletproofzone.com/collecti...-plate-carrier

https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-lvpc-l...e-carrier.html

https://lapolicegear.com/shellback-t...e-carrier.html

https://www.chasetactical.com/produc...-carrier-lvpc/

https://www.t3gear.com/t3-tomahawk-l...plate-carrier/

I found these with one search without really trying. Like, I wasn't even on google; I used DuckDuckGo.

I know I'm going to see a lot of "too long, didn't read" comments, but I found it interesting to write about.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bikemike555; 02-02-21 at 11:59.

Feedback Score
    You've given a great deal of thought about this- one thing you kinda left out, most plate carriers and plates will sit in a closet or go bag for 99.9% of their owner's life-so why buy big? That's an excellent question though- as some one who's been buying plates and carriers now for over a year- and can honestly say the Slickster, Crye, and LBT are great carriers, I have all three- with Kota Hescos 4s and Special threat plates.
    I also know that I have never bought anything gun related (or protection rated) and regretted it later. In fact I really wish I spent thousands more on ammo- but right now when the political drones are going off on outlawing stuff, I have no regrets. Buy good plates (get the light ones-the special threat III + (5.5 pound) are so much nicer than the 7.5 pound Level 4s- you can really tell the difference) and a comfortable plate carrier- but spend the money of the stuff they will out law- and that reminds me, I still need one set of side plates for the house armor LBT.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemike555 View Post
    I know I'm going to see a lot of "too long, didn't read" comments, but I found it interesting to write about.

Thanks for taking the time to write this. It is quite interesting.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    ddbtoth, agreed, lightweight plates make a huge difference.

Feedback Score
    As I posted links to products I was "condemning", I should probably post one regarding Arbor Arms Minuteman: https://arborarmsusa.com/shop/plate-...nd-attachments

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I will condense my response to something less wordy.

Buying a quality USA made carrier comes with several distinct advantages.

1. Supporting local businesses
    2. Supporting the ORIGINAL designer, not the hack outfits
    3. The quality is better
    4. Not supporting a Communist shit hole nation like China
    5. Pride in knowing you're not a sell out to cheap Chinese garbage.

The only thing the hack outfits could change is number 3, and that isn't enough to offset the rest.

Quality gear isn't as cheap as the knockoff junk, but it isn't outrageously expensive either. People need to prioritize their spending and learn to live with "less is more". I've posted this several times and I will post it again.

Budget is nothing more than a set amount of money over a set period of time. If you need more budget, you need to wait longer, save more money per period of time, or both. Saving more money per period of time(say monthly) is easy. Stop buying alcohol. Stop eating out. Stop smoking. Stop buying junk you don't need(priorities). Making more money over that set period of time is a bit more difficult but can be done. Work overtime. Get another job. Sell some stuff you don't use or need. All comes down to prioritizing your purchases. If the item is deemed essential or necessary you will find the money. The problem is that most people simply want to accumulate mountains of stuff. To do so means buying cheap Chinese garbage so they can "get more for the dollar". The reality is, they're getting less for their dollar.
    Last edited by Mysteryman; 02-02-21 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    I will condense my response to something less wordy.

Buying a quality USA made carrier comes with several distinct advantages.

1. Supporting local businesses
    2. Supporting the ORIGINAL designer, not the hack outfits
    3. The quality is better
    4. Not supporting a Communist shit hole nation like China
    5. Pride in knowing you're not a sell out to cheap Chinese garbage.

The only thing the hack outfits could change is number 3, and that isn't enough to offset the rest.

Quality gear isn't as cheap as the knockoff junk, but it isn't outrageously expensive either. People need to prioritize their spending and learn to live with "less is more". I've posted this several times and I will post it again.

Budget is nothing more than a set amount of money over a set period of time. If you need more budget, you need to wait longer, save more money per period of time, or both. Saving more money per period of time(say monthly) is easy. Stop buying alcohol. Stop eating out. Stop smoking. Stop buying junk you don't need(priorities). Making more money over that set period of time is a bit more difficult but can be done. Work overtime. Get another job. Sell some stuff you don't use or need. All comes down to prioritizing your purchases. If the item is deemed essential or necessary you will find the money. The problem is that most people simply want to accumulate mountains of stuff. To do so means buying cheap Chinese garbage so they can "get more for the dollar". The reality is, they're getting less for their dollar.
    👍 “1168 likes this post”
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Exactly!

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    What's wrong with T3? Pretty sure they are USA made...? Or at least, so says the tags on the items...
    Have things changed with them now?

Also was under the impression that Shellback was owned/collaborating by/with TAG and generally GTG? Although I have also heard rumors that TAG's quality has taken a drop in recent years.

If folks are familiar with the big 1 and 2 tier brands, there's a LOT of that 1:1 repro thing the OP mentioned going around right now.
    Kinda like how Vanquest rips off everyone from Maxpedition to ITS to Arc'teryx...
    Also pretty sure Chase is just a subsidiary/ripoff of Warrior Assault Systems (however good WAS is/was, never used their items).

Now if you want an example of blatant shady/false advertising... HRT Tactical Gear would be it.
    All sort of USA branding all over the site, on front of packaging, etc... items had "made in china" tags sewn inside. Clever...
    I bought their three main placards to check out; one day I will have to write a serious review but, long story short:
    Sewing seems acceptable, materials are a bit 'last gen'/2nd tier. The Maximus is a good idea, with about 75% execution, and some 'small but important' stuff missed.
    The triple-M4 placards were good, a couple minor gripes but overall decent for $65.
    The Response placards...sewing still ok, but with a couple overall QC issues (unevenly cut material on one, and poorly aligned attachment straps on another).
    Can't say I hate them,...but the blatant misrepresentation of origin really peeved me... Plus, clear QC can potentially be hit or miss.

OP, you almost had me sold on that Arbor Arms carrier though; was just on that site and couldn't believe I missed it. Am currently looking for similar PC options in that budget/design range, that can also accept the cummerbunds I already have that I like.
    Unfortunately, I already learned my lesson on "one size fits most" carriers and medium plates + being a stick figure. Oh well...
    I probably haven't been as thorough as the OP, but I've gone through around 15 PCs (and counting) over the last few years.
    I am probably in the minority few that found the slickster rather...underwhelming. Then again, I am probably in the minority few who feels that, current market, there's really only 3-5 carriers that take things to that 'next level' that are worth bothering with.
    YMMV.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    How about starting a list of quality USA made plate carriers vendors?

Let's start with Blue Force Gear PlateMinus V4
    https://www.blueforcegear.com/plateminus-plate-carrier
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast