Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Plate carriers which are made overseas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    What's wrong with T3? Pretty sure they are USA made...? Or at least, so says the tags on the items...
    Have things changed with them now?

Also was under the impression that Shellback was owned/collaborating by/with TAG and generally GTG? Although I have also heard rumors that TAG's quality has taken a drop in recent years.

If folks are familiar with the big 1 and 2 tier brands, there's a LOT of that 1:1 repro thing the OP mentioned going around right now.
    Kinda like how Vanquest rips off everyone from Maxpedition to ITS to Arc'teryx...
    Also pretty sure Chase is just a subsidiary/ripoff of Warrior Assault Systems (however good WAS is/was, never used their items).

Now if you want an example of blatant shady/false advertising... HRT Tactical Gear would be it.
    All sort of USA branding all over the site, on front of packaging, etc... items had "made in china" tags sewn inside. Clever...
    I bought their three main placards to check out; one day I will have to write a serious review but, long story short:
    Sewing seems acceptable, materials are a bit 'last gen'/2nd tier. The Maximus is a good idea, with about 75% execution, and some 'small but important' stuff missed.
    The triple-M4 placards were good, a couple minor gripes but overall decent for $65.
    The Response placards...sewing still ok, but with a couple overall QC issues (unevenly cut material on one, and poorly aligned attachment straps on another).
    Can't say I hate them,...but the blatant misrepresentation of origin really peeved me... Plus, clear QC can potentially be hit or miss.

OP, you almost had me sold on that Arbor Arms carrier though; was just on that site and couldn't believe I missed it. Am currently looking for similar PC options in that budget/design range, that can also accept the cummerbunds I already have that I like.
    Unfortunately, I already learned my lesson on "one size fits most" carriers and medium plates + being a stick figure. Oh well...
    I probably haven't been as thorough as the OP, but I've gone through around 15 PCs (and counting) over the last few years.
    I am probably in the minority few that found the slickster rather...underwhelming. Then again, I am probably in the minority few who feels that, current market, there's really only 3-5 carriers that take things to that 'next level' that are worth bothering with.
    YMMV.
    Great info, thanks!

Yeah, I think some traditionally US made brands are imserting overseas-made high margin stuff into their lineups. I could be wrong... but when I saw the design of the LAPG Low Vis carrier compared to the Shellback Low Vis, I mean... they're virtually identical and LAPG carries both of them, which seems like a huge slap in the face to Shellback. Like, "yeah, I know we stock your products but we also went to your supplier and got a virtually identical item made which we're selling with our name on it for literally 1/3 of the price. No hard feelings, right?" Kind of laughed my ass off on that one. LAPG have also got a laser-cut clone of the Banshee all of a sudden that they're selling for $79. That is straight-up disrespectful.

I am 165lbs, 30" waist, and I'm about the height that Tom Cruise tells people he is, so I don't like a bulky carrier either. The Minuteman actually is a pretty close fit with medium sapi plates. Not tight, but not huge like many "one size fits" carriers. The plate bags seem smaller than the ones on my size small/medium Ares Arms Derma. I was pleasantly surprised. Pictured with their placard panel.

Last edited by bikemike555; 08-06-21 at 22:24.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    In general, what about Grey Ghost Gear?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    In general, what about Grey Ghost Gear?
    Some of GGG stuff is Tactical Tailor made.

ETA: Ferro Concepts Slickster is American made(was Canadian, still is?)

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    While I no longer do any shopping through Amazon now, one of the last things I notice when I did search for things on their website was that the search seemed to skew towards Chinese made crap. Even when I typed in a specific item like Condor plate carrier(yea, I know it is more than likely made in China anyway), the first few pages that came up had nothing but chinese made knock off crap and nothing even Condor made. Did it with other things too, same result. It seems like a "good" way for someone with an agenda to have some sort of algorithm to skew a search towards a result they want... basically in this case to move $$$ out of this country and US businesses to china. I try to do what I can these days to buy US made goods.
    Repression Is Nine Tenths The Law

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Some makers could do a better job identifying country of manufacture. Hell, at least I know Elite Survival Systems makes their plate carriers in the USA.

I have also been frustrated by Amazon's tendency to bury everything behind their made in China crap. I use them for product reviews, then buy anywhere else.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-04-21 at 07:21.

Feedback Score
    Tactical Assault Gear was always good stuff, made in the USA and pretty overbuilt.
    https://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/about

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
    You've given a great deal of thought about this- one thing you kinda left out, most plate carriers and plates will sit in a closet or go bag for 99.9% of their owner's life-so why buy big?
    ^^^This is sort of the question that comes into my mind. I only have 2 plate carriers, the first was the Banshee in 13' which I still own, but never use. I upgraded my plates early last year as the original SAPI's I had were out of the 5yr window and ended up with the LAPG level 4s and as the OP(BikeMike555) pointed out https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-lvpc-l...e-carrier.html, their Low Vis Carrier, which I really like as it also does a good job hold my weighted workout plates I bought for the gym that just closed (damn Corona). I know its made in China, but it works, and I as joe civilian am not getting shot at sitting at home (as of yet). I'm all for practical prepping and believe in a having a plate carrier, and the knowledge of what goes with it, but I don't see my self needing something designed to support a sustained combat mission, because myself and my like minded neighbors just don't have the resources to do so.

Now, because I understand your point as to American made and knowing what you are buying, I was looking at https://defensemechanisms.com/Platecarriers/ and will probably end up going that route for something more "duty" ready.
    Last edited by Hank6046; 02-04-21 at 09:44. Reason: Clarification
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post

Now, because I understand your point as to American made and knowing what you are buying, I was looking at https://defensemechanisms.com/Platecarriers/ and will probably end up going that route for something more "duty" ready.
    That was high on my next list of PCs to try, since I want a few of their other pouches anyway (might as well capitalize on the lead time), however it apparently has shoulder straps that are a bit closer than most people like, and leads to discomfort when worn for extended periods of time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/QualityTact...tm_name=iossmf

I understand exactly what they're getting at; the Mayflower APC I had did the exact same thing. One of 2 issues it had that made the APC a no go (as in, I wanted to tear it off and toss it within 15-30 minutes of putting it on) for me. The shoulder straps riding up close to your neck, digging into the muscle there, is just... not fun. No amount of shoulder padding will help this.
    Frustration with this issue was what prompted me to try a SCARAB years back....

That being said... lots of people swore by the APC, and there are a page of positive reviews on the DM site, so YMMV with the MEPC as well.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 02-05-21 at 13:59.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    That was high on my next list of PCs to try, since I want a few of their other pouches anyway (might as well capitalize on the lead time), however it apparently has shoulder straps that are a bit closer than most people like, and leads to discomfort when worn for extended periods of time.
    So I actually just bought the thing (defense mech plate carrier) last night, and it will be here in a few weeks. I sort of like the idea of higher riding shoulder straps after having the banchee carrier, because shouldering a rifle was always a pain in the ass for me, especially when contorting around a barricade. I will have to see if the shoulder straps dig into my neck, however, I think your always going to have some give with a plate carrier in general.

The LAPG I bought doesn't really bother me all that much, but I haven't worn it for more then 30-45 minutes working out. This summer I want to get out and go for some long rucks with both and a pack to see how they do.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My first PC is the SOHPC Paraclete from SKD tactical, but I also bought a Condor MOPC which I like as well. I got both because they offer pockets for side armor (thanks AT Armor!!). The next spare carrier will be a US made model...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast