Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Plate carriers which are made overseas.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    So I actually just bought the thing (defense mech plate carrier) last night, and it will be here in a few weeks. I sort of like the idea of higher riding shoulder straps after having the banchee carrier, because shouldering a rifle was always a pain in the ass for me, especially when contorting around a barricade. I will have to see if the shoulder straps dig into my neck, however, I think your always going to have some give with a plate carrier in general....
    Well, if you get it before I get around to ordering one, and have a chance to wear it with some weight and do some work in it, please post up your findings here.
    (Probably going to order one myself anyway, since some of the comparison reviews I've seen say the shoulder straps are spaced about the same as the SS LV119, and as the 119 was next on the list, I might as well try this carrier first which has features I like better, and costs less. If it works, yay. If not, killed two birds for a little less $)
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Well, if you get it before I get around to ordering one, and have a chance to wear it with some weight and do some work in it, please post up your findings here.
    (Probably going to order one myself anyway, since some of the comparison reviews I've seen say the shoulder straps are spaced about the same as the SS LV119, and as the 119 was next on the list, I might as well try this carrier first which has features I like better, and costs less. If it works, yay. If not, killed two birds for a little less $)
    I will do my best to do just that, and keep you updated accordingly

Feedback Score
    Just got an email today apologizing that they are way behind and it might be another week or two until delivery. I was a little disappointed as I was planning on getting out to the woods with it this weekend with a pack on, now that our temps have been in the 30s and 40s
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Cheap gear glows like a chem light under nods. Buy quality.
    Last edited by CRAMBONE; 03-08-21 at 14:01.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Just got an email today apologizing that they are way behind and it might be another week or two until delivery. I was a little disappointed as I was planning on getting out to the woods with it this weekend with a pack on, now that our temps have been in the 30s and 40s
    Yep same here.
    Typical; was hearing good things about their leads being shorter than stated, as soon as I put an order in, they're back up.

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemike555 View Post
    ...post....
    That was a really cognizant, well-thought, logical, unemotional post. Well done, and thanks for the information you've taken the time to acquire.

Over the years my needs and missions have changed. I no longer need to wear a CIRAS with go-to-war crap, so I don't. I have one PC, slick, an older 5.11, that does double-duty for exercise as well as sits beside my bed and rifle at night. Was it made in Asia? Prolly. Is what it is.

In 30 years of following the gear manufacturers I have seen all-made-in-the-USA, all the time; started in the USA and moved abroad for cheap labor costs but retained the QA/QC; started in the USA and moved abroad with horrible consequences; and the started abroad/made abroad cheap knock-offs. We've had this chat a thread or so down about soft shell jackets. Part of the challenge is that while a handful of awesome, reputable companies will never (we hope) go abroad, many awesome, reputable companies do, and you often don't know it until you get the product with the "Made in Bangladesh" tag. I wish that wasn't the case, but I understand economics and capitalism.

Thanks to this site, Lightfighter, a few others, we can rely on the real-world lab of people like you and others who buy, try, sell, modify, whatever, to get the info out, and I am appreciative. Keep it coming.

Feedback Score
    Yep same here.
    Typical; was hearing good things about their leads being shorter than stated, as soon as I put an order in, they're back up.
    So I got the DM plate carrier yesterday. I didn't do much with it except a little jog on the treadmill for about 20 minutes. Initial impressions is that the quality is excellent for the price. The adjust-ability is good, but takes a minute or two to really size it to yourself, having said that I need to loose about 15-20lbs so that might be more on me. I purchased the elastic cummerbund, it does its job, but I might look for something slightly more slick. I sort of wish I had looked more at the 3 INCH HYBRID CUMMERBUND on DM's website, and instead tried to go more of the Ferro Concepts route, which I don't know if I really want to sick with.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    So I got the DM plate carrier yesterday. I didn't do much with it except a little jog on the treadmill for about 20 minutes. Initial impressions is that the quality is excellent for the price. The adjust-ability is good, but takes a minute or two to really size it to yourself, having said that I need to loose about 15-20lbs so that might be more on me. I purchased the elastic cummerbund, it does its job, but I might look for something slightly more slick. I sort of wish I had looked more at the 3 INCH HYBRID CUMMERBUND on DM's website, and instead tried to go more of the Ferro Concepts route, which I don't know if I really want to sick with.
    I'm one of those insane people that feels like straight elastic 'bunds are kinda false economy anyway, with the presence of JPC-style bunds or VelSys Scarab/DM Hybrid skeleton-molle-with-elastic on market. I also think the current 2-band craze is, well... a fad as well, again, due to hybrid/mesh type bunds, but YMMV.

I have a Scarab bund on my gen 1 Beez Aptum, and it's perfect - stretches as needed to breath, can mount pouches outside and inside if I want to plus up/overt, nearly as concealable as an elastic (maybe a little better for me cuz I am a stick figure).
    The only real downside I can think of is I suspect they may not me so great at bearing the extra weight/bulk of side plates, but I've not had a chance to try that.

I admit, I kinda like the full "panels" of elastic like the DM Hybrid and old Mayflower APC bunds have, as I suspect that may be a stronger, more long-term durable design, but the Scarab bund lets me "cheat" if I have a pouch overrun that last rear molle slot - which I need, because I run the 5-band option to get it to fit me right without excessive overrun/adjustment woes.

How do you feel about the spacing of the shoulder straps on the DM carrier?
    Last edited by Jellybean; 03-08-21 at 15:54.

Feedback Score
    I'm one of those insane people that feels like straight elastic 'bunds are kinda false economy anyway, with the presence of JPC-style bunds or VelSys Scarab/DM Hybrid skeleton-molle-with-elastic on market. I also think the current 2-band craze is, well... a fad as well, again, due to hybrid/mesh type bunds, but YMMV.

I have a Scarab bund on my gen 1 Beez Aptum, and it's perfect - stretches as needed to breath, can mount pouches outside and inside if I want to plus up/overt, nearly as concealable as an elastic (maybe a little better for me cuz I am a stick figure).
    The only real downside I can think of is I suspect they may not me so great at bearing the extra weight/bulk of side plates, but I've not had a chance to try that.

I admit, I kinda like the full "panels" of elastic like the DM Hybrid and old Mayflower APC bunds have, as I suspect that may be a stronger, more long-term durable design, but the Scarab bund lets me "cheat" if I have a pouch overrun that last rear molle slot - which I need, because I run the 5-band option to get it to fit me right without excessive overrun/adjustment woes.

How do you feel about the spacing of the shoulder straps on the DM carrier?
    Damn I must be off my game, I haven't thought about Beez systems in awhile and will have to check their cummerbunds out. The shoulder straps don't bother me or cut into my neck, but I didn't really do much in the way of a good amount of time it. I was going to order some plates off of Rogue fitness and do a decent 6-8 miles in it to see how it does overall. I also am ordering some velocity placards for it, as they make simple and easy placards.

Feedback Score
    Damn I must be off my game, I haven't thought about Beez systems in awhile and will have to check their cummerbunds out. The shoulder straps don't bother me or cut into my neck, but I didn't really do much in the way of a good amount of time it. I was going to order some plates off of Rogue fitness and do a decent 6-8 miles in it to see how it does overall. I also am ordering some velocity placards for it, as they make simple and easy placards.
    I love the Velocity placards! Do you have any experience with the four mag 5.56 ones? If so, how they in terms of comfort and size compared to the three mag ones?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast