Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bootleg BCG Colt Upper Receiver Wear Issue

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's a normal wear pattern, but sounds like it's extremely accelerated for some bizarre reason. The magazine puts upward pressure on the carrier, so that causes wear in the upper receiver, where the upper rails on the carrier contact it. That's why you see it only for that short distance, because once the carrier clears the magazine it just kind of floats in space, not making hard contact with the receiver walls.

That is eventually what kills upper receivers, but it normally takes several hundred thousand rounds.

Can't even begin to explain why that carrier would be doing that, though. I don't see anything radically different about it in that area that would cause that. The only thing I can think of is that the receiver wasn't anodized properly. Once that anodizing is gone it will start wearing really fast.

I just don't know, you got a real headscratcher there. What's really strange is it looks like you've got accelerated wear on the carrier itself. Looks to be nitride, and it should take at least several hundred rounds to raise those shiny spots, if not several thousand. Even if it's phosphate, should still take hundreds. Unless you got your grease mixed up with your lapping compound I really don't have a very good suggestion for you.
    Last edited by okie; 02-06-21 at 14:17.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I know I'm a snob, but why randomly use no-name shit parts in a solid gun?

I just don't get it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post

I just don't get it.
    i needed that , i BOL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post

I just don't get it.
    It's adjustable. Less gas in your eyes when running suppressed. I've not heard of those guys being shit, and I really don't see at this point how the carrier could be doing that. Not saying it isn't, but I wouldn't go jumping to conclusions quite yet.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah, I'll just go with a properly setup gas port / tube with a good charging handle.

I never get gas to the face, all with OEM BCGs from Colt, BCM, Aero, Noveske rifles / uppers. One 6920 I had to get a BRT tube to make it run better suppressed, but even then it wasn't spitting gas in my face. Even my Noveske Switchblock doesn't piss gas in my face if I leave it on Normal but shoot suppressed.

I mean, I've felt what gas to the face feels like with other's rifles and it sucks, but I just prefer other solutions.

And "Bootleg"? Really? Just another in a long line of random parts makers IMO. Some are ok, some are great, a lot are shit. I choose to spend my time, money, and ammo with known & quality vendors / solutions.

YMMV.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    This could be me talking about this issue in ARs if I was a black woman.

Feedback Score
    Here are more photo's of the BCG.

As far as the BCG this is not suppose to be som eshit part fly by night product. It is well reviewed and I have not heard of issues. Bootleg I believe is part of Primary Weapons Systems.

IMG_0453.jpegIMG_0452.jpegIMG_0455.jpegIMG_0454.jpeg

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think I ran a Gemtech one time to be run suppressed, and it worked nice. Never heard of this company.

Get one of Clints tubes and run your factory BCG.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I think the Gemtech, Primary Weapons Systems, and Bootleg bolt carrier groups are all made by the same company. They are generally very high quality products.

With regard to the pictures and mdrums's bolt carrier, I think the bolt carrier is nitrided (or melonited or isonited, whatever they want to call it), and I am guessing the top surface of the bolt carrier group (and probably the whole thing) is rough, or at least not polished very smoothly. I have seen nitrided gun parts that were polished to a glossy finish, and some that were very rough.

If you are going to continue shooting with it, I would make sure it's well lubed in those problem areas. If you had it well lubed when you were shooting with it, I wouldn't shoot with it anymore. That's a lot of wear for 150 rounds.

I'm curious what PWS/Bootleg will say. Their customer service is generally very good.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Looks like there is less surface contact with that carrier which could concentrate the load/friction to a smaller surface area creating more wear. Just spit balling.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast