Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bootleg BCG Colt Upper Receiver Wear Issue

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    It's adjustable. Less gas in your eyes when running suppressed. I've not heard of those guys being shit, and I really don't see at this point how the carrier could be doing that. Not saying it isn't, but I wouldn't go jumping to conclusions quite yet.
    Doesn't this just go back to running non-mil spec parts with unintended consequences? Surely the military does not run this BCG when they go suppressed. Why not find out what they do and do that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Looks like there is less surface contact with that carrier which could concentrate the load/friction to a smaller surface area creating more wear. Just spit balling.
    I'm thinking along these same lines. I see a lot of small load bearing surfaces with fairly abrupt leading edges. That puts more point load on the surfaces.

I don't know if it is "well made" or from a "quality vendor". Even good people have bad ideas. I just wouldn't run it, at least not in an upper I gave a crap about. Run it to destruction in a POS Anderson or something if you want to do a field test.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply's everyone... I bought this Bootleg BCG a few years ago, never used it until last weekend. I learned I guess...sucks though...I do not want to put excess wear on my Colt. No idea how the fix my upper receiver, but everything in the receiver feels smooth so maybe it's just the black finish worn off and I can re-finish it?????

I will call Bootleg again on Monday and see if they answer and can help out. Again, I've emailed them with photos days ago.

I think for AR125 suppressed I will turn my 300Blk Out pistol into an AR15 rifle. It is currently a Spikes lower w/ Geiselle trigger. I will buy a 16" AR upper for it and tuned it for suppressed with a adjustable gas black I guess.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
    Thanks for the reply's everyone... I bought this Bootleg BCG a few years ago, never used it until last weekend. I learned I guess...sucks though...I do not want to put excess wear on my Colt. No idea how the fix my upper receiver, but everything in the receiver feels smooth so maybe it's just the black finish worn off and I can re-finish it?????

I will call Bootleg again on Monday and see if they answer and can help out. Again, I've emailed them with photos days ago.

I think for AR125 suppressed I will turn my 300Blk Out pistol into an AR15 rifle. It is currently a Spikes lower w/ Geiselle trigger. I will buy a 16" AR upper for it and tuned it for suppressed with a adjustable gas black I guess.
    The receiver is going to be anodized, and some have a dry lube film on the inside. Whether it's broken through the surface hardening or just rubbed the dry film and dye off is impossible to say from a photo. You would have to test the hardness with files to know for sure. Kind of a moot point though because there's absolutely nothing you can do about it except get a new receiver when that one kicks the bucket. I would just put the factory carrier back in and see how it goes.

Like I said, though, the strangest part is that the carrier has really accelerated wear, too. It should take thousands of rounds to wear away that nitride. We're talking about something here that eats through high speed steel like butter. If that really happened in 150 rounds then the only thing I can figure is that some abrasive substance was introduced into the receiver somehow.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Doesn't this just go back to running non-mil spec parts with unintended consequences? Surely the military does not run this BCG when they go suppressed. Why not find out what they do and do that?
    That line of thought isn't without merit. I always try to keep everything as stock as possible. Especially the action parts.

Feedback Score

Take a wild guess what happens when you actually shoot your rifle again. Or any rifle for that matter...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Don’t sweat the wear in the upper. It’s normal in its pattern. Every upper that is actually used will eventually end up with this wear. Refinishing will not help. Keep shooting. Go back to your standard Colt bolt group.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I know I'm a snob, but why randomly use no-name shit parts in a solid gun?

I just don't get it.
    I don't get it either. I guess I'm a snob too. I always use BCGs from known and proven manufacturers, BCM, Colt Daniel Defense, LMT... And I use BCGs with plain old phosphate coatings that are harder to clean, but seem to hold the lube better. And I never mix bolt and carrier.

Why do people always want to make it hard on themselves?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    I don't get it either. I guess I'm a snob too. I always use BCGs from known and proven manufacturers, BCM, Colt Daniel Defense, LMT... And I use BCGs with plain old phosphate coatings that are harder to clean, but seem to hold the lube better. And I never mix bolt and carrier.

Why do people always want to make it hard on themselves?
    I've seen some pretty questionable stuff from BCM before. LMT and Daniel Defense are probably good to go, but I'm a die hard Colt fanatic.

Feedback Score
    I did get a text back from Bootleg/Primary Weapons about this issue. They are looking into it.

However I did get a quick reply back from Specialized Armament the premier Colt builder and was told to stop using that BCG and not shoot the rife suppressed. A lot of things inside need to be changed to shoot suppressed besides just the gas system. So I am learning...

I am still unclear if I can get my Colt upper receiver refinished back to factory or where I could even purchase a Colt upper receiver and have a gunsmith swap them out.
    Last edited by mdrums; 02-08-21 at 16:50.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast