Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bootleg BCG Colt Upper Receiver Wear Issue

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
    I did get a text back from Bootleg/Primary Weapons about this issue. They are looking into it.

However I did get a quick reply back from Specialized Armament the premier Colt builder and was told to stop using that BCG and not shoot the rife suppressed. A lot of things inside need to be changed to shoot suppressed besides just the gas system. So I am learning...

I am still unclear if I can get my Colt upper receiver refinished back to factory or where I could even purchase a Colt upper receiver and have a gunsmith swap them out.
    This is an LE6920 with a Mk18 upper on it. It has somewhere between probably 300-500 rounds on it, and about three quarters of those were suppressed. Everything is stock except for the H3 buffer.

https://imgur.com/a/LXcSzN7

Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing.... I’m sick to my stomach with the wear my rifle has. I don’t know if I can get the receiver refinished or I’d just buy a new receiver but can’t find one...a Colt..in order to keep it original. Well...what a way to learn...I’m so pissed

Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing.... I’m sick to my stomach with the wear my rifle has. I don’t know if I can get the receiver refinished or I’d just buy a new receiver but can’t find one...a Colt..in order to keep it original. Well...what a way to learn...I’m so pissed
    I thought this guy gave good advice -

Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Don’t sweat the wear in the upper. It’s normal in its pattern. Every upper that is actually used will eventually end up with this wear. Refinishing will not help. Keep shooting. Go back to your standard Colt bolt group.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't sweat it brother, you're good! If it makes you feel any better, I think it's highly unlikely that you've broken through the actual anodizing. I think it's probably wise to stop using that carrier for the time being until you find out more, but I don't think it's done any real damage.

Just an FYI, the black isn't anodizing, it's just a dye bath they dunk it in afterwards. Anodizing is a surface hardening procedure, and it's invisible. If they skip the dye bath it almost looks like just plain raw aluminum. So what you're seeing where it's shiny isn't likely to be raw metal. It's probably just where the dye has worn away, which is completely normal. You can see in my potato stills that my new baby has the same wear pattern, and that was caused by the factory carrier, which has some pretty good shiny on the upper rails, too, where the phosphate has worn away.

It's just part of breaking in. For one thing, anodizing leaves a really rough surface, so you're bound to have high spots that are going to get knocked down. But it's extremely hard, tough stuff, and it lasts a really long time, even if the dye bath doesn't.

Like I said before, it's a normal wear pattern. Can't explain why it wore that fast, but then again I have never used any nitride carriers before. I know nitride is crazy hard, so maybe that's it right there. Might just be that nitride carriers shiny up the insides faster because they're so much harder than phosphate.

Worst case scenario you might need a new upper sooner than 200k rounds, by which time I'm sure they'll be plentiful again. But I highly, highly doubt it. I don't see any way that carrier could have done any real damage since it doesn't have any obvious burrs or anything.

ETA: I would also suggest giving it a very thorough cleaning, including a complete degreasing. Just on the off chance that some kind of abrasive substance got in there somehow.
    Last edited by okie; 02-09-21 at 00:33.

Feedback Score
    Again THANKS!... yes I have throughly cleaned it.... first with some Slip 2000 degreaser then with some non-chlorinated brake cleaners, wiped it all out, compressed air etc and re-lubed it with oil and I used some grease I use on my 1911 on the shiny wear parts. Other felt rough to my finger tips or finger nail. The stock Colt BCG/Bolt is back in the rifle. Nothing feels lose etc.

Lesson learned. Specialized Armament was kind enough to look at photos too and highly suggest to never use this Bootleg carrier.

I have a 300blk pistol I put together with a Spike lower Geisele trigger and BCM 300blk upper. I never shoot it, tired selling it. I am going to remove the brace and 300 BCM upper regular and get a stock and a 16" 556 upper and turn it into a rifle. I will do an adjustable gas block DI upper or maybe a piston upper and use that as the suppressed 556 AR.

Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Don't sweat it brother, you're good! If it makes you feel any better, I think it's highly unlikely that you've broken through the actual anodizing. I think it's probably wise to stop using that carrier for the time being until you find out more, but I don't think it's done any real damage.

Just an FYI, the black isn't anodizing, it's just a dye bath they dunk it in afterwards. Anodizing is a surface hardening procedure, and it's invisible. If they skip the dye bath it almost looks like just plain raw aluminum. So what you're seeing where it's shiny isn't likely to be raw metal. It's probably just where the dye has worn away, which is completely normal. You can see in my potato stills that my new baby has the same wear pattern, and that was caused by the factory carrier, which has some pretty good shiny on the upper rails, too, where the phosphate has worn away.

It's just part of breaking in. For one thing, anodizing leaves a really rough surface, so you're bound to have high spots that are going to get knocked down. But it's extremely hard, tough stuff, and it lasts a really long time, even if the dye bath doesn't.

Like I said before, it's a normal wear pattern. Can't explain why it wore that fast, but then again I have never used any nitride carriers before. I know nitride is crazy hard, so maybe that's it right there. Might just be that nitride carriers shiny up the insides faster because they're so much harder than phosphate.

Worst case scenario you might need a new upper sooner than 200k rounds, by which time I'm sure they'll be plentiful again. But I highly, highly doubt it. I don't see any way that carrier could have done any real damage since it doesn't have any obvious burrs or anything.

ETA: I would also suggest giving it a very thorough cleaning, including a complete degreasing. Just on the off chance that some kind of abrasive substance got in there somehow.

Feedback Score
    Again THANKS!... yes I have throughly cleaned it.... first with some Slip 2000 degreaser then with some non-chlorinated brake cleaners, wiped it all out, compressed air etc and re-lubed it with oil and I used some grease I use on my 1911 on the shiny wear parts. Other felt rough to my finger tips or finger nail. The stock Colt BCG/Bolt is back in the rifle. Nothing feels lose etc.

Lesson learned. Specialized Armament was kind enough to look at photos too and highly suggest to never use this Bootleg carrier.

I have a 300blk pistol I put together with a Spike lower Geisele trigger and BCM 300blk upper. I never shoot it, tired selling it. I am going to remove the brace and 300 BCM upper regular and get a stock and a 16" 556 upper and turn it into a rifle. I will do an adjustable gas block DI upper or maybe a piston upper and use that as the suppressed 556 AR.
    Well, if Ken from Specialized Armament didn't tell you that your upper is a lost cause in need of replacement then I'd say you're good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

There's nothing wrong with running the Colt suppressed. Just put in a heavier buffer.

Feedback Score
    Well ... Andrew from Bootleg texted me and and sent me an email like for a RA return last Thursday...I filled that out but so far no RA number or resolution to this.

I just ordered a new Colt stripped upper receiver. I will have a local gunsmith swap out this worn upper receiver so I can keep my 6920 original. I guess the worn upper receiver would still work but I do not know and am not experienced enough to know these things.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Well ... Andrew from Bootleg texted me and and sent me an email like for a RA return last Thursday...I filled that out but so far no RA number or resolution to this.

I just ordered a new Colt stripped upper receiver. I will have a local gunsmith swap out this worn upper receiver so I can keep my 6920 original. I guess the worn upper receiver would still work but I do not know and am not experienced enough to know these things.
    I am glad you are working towards a resolution. If you put your old upper for sale on the equipment exchange (with full disclosure of course), I guarantee it will sell quickly.

Andy

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I would gladly take that colt upper off your hands

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast