Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handguard question

Feedback Score

Handguard question

While browsing Windham's website, I noticed that the handguard material (on this rifle, at least) is listed as being fiberglass. I had thought that the furniture on most current AR's was Zytel or some other flavor of modern polymer. Or is Zytel some type of fiberglass?

https://ty1gp1y141k12fk1dp5xpx1a-wpe...etail-2021.pdf

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Z is just some nylon reinforced with glass. I have that rifle. Flawless and compared to my carbines and pistols, it shoots like a BB gun. Though I have a scope on it now, out of the box it was dead center at 50m. Blew me away. Highly recommend it.
    Last edited by bamashooter; 02-03-21 at 07:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    While browsing Windham's website, I noticed that the handguard material (on this rifle, at least) is listed as being fiberglass. I had thought that the furniture on most current AR's was Zytel or some other flavor of modern polymer. Or is Zytel some type of fiberglass?

https://ty1gp1y141k12fk1dp5xpx1a-wpe...etail-2021.pdf
    "Fiberglass" is like dirt, it covers a lot of ground.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Z is just some nylon reinforced with glass. I have that rifle. Flawless and compared to my carbines and pistols, it shoots like a BB gun. Though I have a scope on it now, out of the box it was dead center at 50m. Blew me away. Highly recommend it.
    I was browsing the handgun counter at the local Cal-Ranch store when I noticed this particular rifle sitting on the rack. It was a bit surprising since, in the current environment, I don't see many AR's for sale. And I don't ever recall seeing the Windham brand at Cal-Ranch or Sportsman's in my area. It kind of went like this:

Rifle: "Hey there. big boy. How about looking me over and taking me home. You know you want it"

Me: "I don't know. Don't really need another rifle right now"

Rifle: "Then do a layaway. I see the way you're looking at me."

Me: "Dammit. The rifle's right. Hey, let me do a layaway on this Windham."

I caved. I'm sure we'll be happy together.

Feedback Score
    Whatever the material, take comfort in knowing that they are the exact same handguards that are sold under the Colt brand for their AR15A4.

Feedback Score
    U have the same rifle, the handguards feel like standard handguard to me. They are pretty tough.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    There are many types and grades of what is called "fiberglass" just as there are "plastics".
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Whatever the material, take comfort in knowing that they are the exact same handguards that are sold under the Colt brand for their AR15A4.
    Curious if Windham glues their heat shields in like Colt has been doing for a while now.

That glue pisses me off to no end. The older Colt handguards do not have that garbage. (look pretty much exactly the same as the current Colt parts less the glue)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Curious if Windham glues their heat shields in like Colt has been doing for a while now.

That glue pisses me off to no end. The older Colt handguards do not have that garbage. (look pretty much exactly the same as the current Colt parts less the glue)
    The Windham A2 handguards have the glued in heat shields too since they're made by the same place... Actually the glue used to be a shade of yellow on both the Colt and Windham A2 handguards from a few years ago, but now its a white color glue.

I wish they didn't use the glue either by the way... Oh, on a side note, the current Colt M4 handguards that I just received a couple of months ago on a new 6720 upper from Brownells didn't have glued in heat shields. The few pairs I saw prior to that all had yellow glue to retain the double heat shields... The Colt M4 handguards are coming from the same manufacturer that's making the A2 handguards from similarities I'm seeing between them.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 02-04-21 at 20:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    The Windham A2 handguards have the glued in heat shields too since they're made by the same place... Actually the glue used to be a shade of yellow on both the Colt and Windham A2 handguards from a few years ago, but now its a white color glue.

I wish they didn't use the glue either by the way... Oh, on a side note, the current Colt M4 handguards that I just received a couple of months ago on a new 6720 upper from Brownells didn't have glued in heat shields. The few pairs I saw prior to that all had yellow glue to retain the double heat shields... The Colt M4 handguards are coming from the same manufacturer that's making the A2 handguards from similarities I'm seeing between them.
    Appreciate your input / information.

So others can see what we are talking about better:

Those are all Colt rifle length hand guards with the difference being their age and the yellow glue as you described. The guards in the picture with the yellow glue were purchased a few years ago. No idea when they were manufactured and / or how long they may have sat before getting shipped out.

Bottom hand guard in picture is one reason I hate that glue. That adapter 'belongs' under the aluminum and against the plastic. It is made to fit in that tiny gap between the two... If you were to try and tighten that adapter down and secure it in place like it is in the picture (on top of the heat shield instead of under it) - That heat shield is going to get bent and distorted in a bad way long before things get tight with the adapter.

Other than the glue I can't spot any difference between the ones that I know for a fact are more than 20 yrs old and the ones I bought a few years ago. Those parts all mix and match perfectly as far as everything else is concerned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast