Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NiB barrel extensions

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Based on my NiB bolt breakage and the general sucky characteristics of the finish, I avoid it like the plague.
    What made you think it was the finish that caused breakage?

I don’t think the electroless nickel process is high enough heat to mess with the hardness. Did the finish crack and allow corrosion?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Just wait until it gets worn down and starts sticking.

Pretty clear to me you have zero experience running these things and even less than zero experience with modern finishes applied by reputable companies.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneZ View Post
    Does the question have context? Like 1k rnds per day vs 1k rnds per year?

Could we say for the casual shooter, most/all the finishes will last a "lifetime" ?
    I've never seen any evidence that any alternative coatings increase longevity, except maybe in the context of corrosions resistance. But if you're neglecting the gun to the point that that makes a difference then your springs are going to be toast anyways.

I think there's also an argument that a lot of these coatings might negatively impact longevity, too, seeing as how most parts rely on heat treating, and the application of the coatings requires high heat. In many if not most cases I think there's a strong argument that it's enough to mess with the heat treat.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Pretty clear to me you have zero experience running these things and even less than zero experience with modern finishes applied by reputable companies.

It's obvious from how shiny that bolt is you haven't used it long enough for those problems to start manifesting. You'll be singing a different tune.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    NiB wear characteristics suck. I would not choose to use it for anything.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 02-05-21 at 07:33.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    It's obvious from how shiny that bolt is you haven't used it long enough for those problems to start manifesting. You'll be singing a different tune.
    It is a fairly recent production carrier from Toolcraft. (The bolt came from them as well but guessing you are aware they do not manufacture those)

I put more faith in their reputation for getting things right than I do random garbage I read on the internet from random posters. Especially when those random posters make unsubstantiated claims they can't back up with any evidence...

Having been a member on the other site for over 15 years now - I am pretty sure if Toolcraft was botching their NiB finishes I would have read about it long before now and there would have been pictures posted of the problem carriers. I have not read about any such issues there or seen any such pictures because issues like you describe are not at all common.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is a fairly recent production carrier from Toolcraft. (The bolt came from them as well but guessing you are aware they do not manufacture those)

I put more faith in their reputation for getting things right than I do random garbage I read on the internet from random posters. Especially when those random posters make unsubstantiated claims they can't back up with any evidence...

Having been a member on the other site for over 15 years now - I am pretty sure if Toolcraft was botching their NiB finishes I would have read about it long before now and there would have been pictures posted of the problem carriers. I have not read about any such issues there or seen any such pictures because issues like you describe are not at all common.
    You DO hear about it. As the finish wears, it gets gritty and starts to stick. Locked up actions requiring mortaring are a well known problem with nickel boron.

The reason you don't hear about it from everyone is because basically everyone buying nickel boron is a commercial customer, so very few of them get hard use. Or any use at all. The vast majority get built and never fired. The rest get fired maybe twice a year, if even that.

You do you, bro, but you're gonna learn the hard way.

Feedback Score
    NiB is terrible. I can't believe anyone here would parrot that stuff.

I can't even count how many problems I have observed with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SOTAR View Post
    NiB is terrible. I can't believe anyone here would parrot that stuff.

I can't even count how many problems I have observed with it.

Still laughing about that video you did where you demonstrated how to overlube the heck out of one with your homemade junk.

THAT was a priceless video sir! LOL!

Last edited by DG23; 02-06-21 at 19:15.

Feedback Score
    Still laughing about that video you did where you demonstrated how to overlube the heck out of one with your homemade junk.

THAT was a priceless video sir! LOL!

No such thing as over lube.

The only junk here is your advice.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast