Thread: Trust, indiv., business, or ?

Feedback Score

Trust, indiv., business, or ?

I know this ain't new, but I couldn't find a thread with all the options covered and pros v cons for each. I read the stickies and several threads.

I'm going to be adding to my stamp collection with a few form 1 sbrs. I have my previous (pre 41F) NFA items in a trust. My trust is actually set up as an asset protection trust (silly me)with beneficiaries, contingent beneficiaries, ... In short, I would need so many fingerprints and photos I'd have to send it LTL freight.

I was going to file individual, but is that the most advantageous route? I could form a simple trust, or an LLC, sole proprietorship, or whatever. I do intend to get a class 7/SOT in the future but I'm not sure when. Would it make sense to lay the legal entity down now and license later? I will likely do the licensing in AZ as opposed to UT where I currently reside (homes in UT and AZ).

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. I'm probably over thinking this and I should just file. Can't hurt to ask though.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you have a trust already... stick to that. Just amend it to remove those individuals out when you file... done !

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If your trust is for asset protection and has beneficiaries, I would not use it for NFA items. Set up a separate trust or LLC. I personally prefer the LLC/Corp route if not going with individual transfer. LLC and Corp are well established entities for property ownership. As always, consult an attorney.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    There have historically been two reasons that people setup a trust for NFA items. The first is because their local CLEO wouldn't sign. That's no longer applicable. The second is to allow others to have access to your NFA items while you're not around. If you're not planning on doing that, then I don't really see hassle/benefit being worth it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    There have historically been two reasons that people setup a trust for NFA items. The first is because their local CLEO wouldn't sign. That's no longer applicable. The second is to allow others to have access to your NFA items while you're not around. If you're not planning on doing that, then I don't really see hassle/benefit being worth it.
    I was planning on having kids (still do at some point). I've been divorced, and if I get remarried I can add the new wife. Makes it easy IMO to allow new people access, or add beneficiaries as life changes.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    if I get remarried I can add the new wife
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Last edited by Eurodriver; 02-15-21 at 15:32. Reason: added more oooooooooo
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Lol!!!! Luckily I walked away unharmed from this one. Had her removed from the trust within a week of finding "stuff" out.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-16-21 at 08:00.

Feedback Score
    FWIW. I just went ahead and filed as an individual. My decision was based on "F it, I'm just gonna get em filed" and not on any actual legitimate criteria. Not an endorsement just an update.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.