Thread: Looking to buy hunting land, advice needed.

Feedback Score

Looking to buy hunting land, advice needed.

My Wife and I are interested in getting some land to hunt. We are thinking of spending about $100k-$125k. We might do more, but that is what we are shooting for. We live in West Texas and would like to keep the land west of Midland. We are open to going into New Mexico, but would like to stay south of Socorro, NM. We would like to hunt deer, dove, if Texas probably hogs, if New Mexico hopefully elk.
    We have a family of 4, so figure 4 hunters, not necessarily all at once, or in competition.
    How much land would you suggest?
    We don't have the budget for a structure, so we would add one later.
    Is there an area we should be looking at?
    Does anyone know any realtors in the area?
    We really have no idea what we are doing, any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I know nothing about land out there. Prices and all. 100k where I live will only get you 60-100 acres. I’d say look for something with water on it. Make sure you get all the mineral and oil rights.

Feedback Score
    Regarding size/acreage, My wife’s side of the family owns 50 acres in PA. We don’t have hog and can’t hunt elk where we live, but we do hunt deer, turkey, and small game. We have six deer stands that can be hunted simultaneously, if that gives you any idea of size, although we normally only use 3 or 4 at a time. There are years we are very successful and 50 acres seems plenty, and years we hardly see anything and we wish we had more. Personally, I would prefer at least 100, but then again I just enjoy being in the woods away from civilization.

Size wise, I guess it depends what the terrain is like. Water is nice for attracting game, especially if water sources are scare. Water will also eat up some of the huntable land (unless you want to hunt waterfowl) as it will most likely be counted in the acreage, so keep that in mind. I would think the more types of game you want to hunt, the wider variety of terrain and more acreage you would want.

My only other advice for hunting land would be to ask to spend a few days on the land before buying. Use that time to look for signs indicating the presence of game you want to hunt. Buck rubs, scat, beds, game trails, things like that. Maybe even set out a game camera or two. It might be a little disappointing to buy a piece of land to hunt deer only to find out deer don’t go there often.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    I know nothing about land out there. Prices and all. 100k where I live will only get you 60-100 acres. I’d say look for something with water on it. Make sure you get all the mineral and oil rights.
    “Only” lol

Undeveloped land where I’m from - with no utilities or anything - is $15k an acre.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    “Only” lol

Undeveloped land where I’m from - with no utilities or anything - is $15k an acre.
    There are some pluses to living in the sticks of the Deep South. (Don’t tell anyone)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    “Only” lol

OMG! That is insane. Granted we have to buy off the beaten path to get that price, but at $15k per acre, I wouldn't even bother. We spent the weekend driving around looking in different areas, it was a great adventure. Also, some good food in those out of the way places!

Feedback Score
    85 (99%)
    Always buy as much as possible you will be glad later. As time goes by neighbor's appear and more people will be moving out to also escape city life. Get a good survey ideally a certified survey meaning your surveyor will testify on your behalf if litigation is involved. Property line disputes mainly adverse possession are very common. Build relations with good neighbors. Water is obviously essential if your area is able to put ponds or lakes in nothing more improves the game as good water sources. If your rural property is is the same state as your homeowner policy many times your coverage includes some liability coverage until a structure is erected then a separate policy is needed. Things are changing fast in my areas with prices increasing and demand is on fire.

Feedback Score
    In Southern Oregon, east of Medford to Highway 395 there are plenty of properties for sale at some altitude in the mountains there. Many have water and many are in the price range you specify. You would not want to spend the winter there but otherwise, great. Too bad it is out of your area.