Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: old powder

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am guessing the smokeless powders were from the 1970's to early 1980's. If you see lot numbers on the containers, posting them will help us narrow down the date of manufacturer.

The Goex may be newer. Lot numbers would help.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I am guessing the smokeless powders were from the 1970's to early 1980's. If you see lot numbers on the containers, posting them will help us narrow down the date of manufacturer.

The Goex may be newer. Lot numbers would help.
    I believe Hodgdon started using plastic containers in the 1990s. I remember seeing old metal IMR cans back when I started reloading that were old stock in 2003.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The Hodgdon bottles may have a lot number where the ends of the label almost meet. If so, the first number is the container size and then there is a date code.

Dupont sold IMR to Hodgdon in 2003.

Can you post a pic of the Dupont powder can with a white label?

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-05-21 at 12:19.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So the IMR 3031. all the Hodgdon 1lb canisters, and the Win 760 look like powder I have that I got in the 90s. I didn't start reloading until about 93/94 and I have a bunch of the metal IMR that look like the 3031 one (the other IMR look older). I have a Win760 like that (and a Win748 same style) and a lot of various Hodgdon (including the H322) that are the same canister and label type.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    If it smells and looks like new powder, it should be fine. When powder degrades, it turns red like rust or smells foul and doesn't have the clean solvent smell.

Andy
    Thanks Andy! That’s helpful information!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The Hodgdon bottles may have a lot number where the ends of the label almost meet. If so, the first number is the container size and then there is a date code.

Dupont sold IMR to Hodgdon in 2003.

Can you post a pic of the Dupont powder can with a white label?

Andy
    And I believed all the labels had DuPont up until they sold them. Then it just said “IMR”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the input, For some weird reason a local fellow reloader saw pictures showed up and bought all the smokeless powder and 16 lbs of black powder. Items were sold using current Midway USA prices.

Feedback Score
    On a whim I checked an upper shelf, ( haven't been in there over a year due to Covid) Found multiple tubs of>>

At least 3 of the tubs were Federal Magnum Large rifle primers , Fellow reloader bought it all, think he got around 10thousand large & large magnum rifle primers.
    Price was $40 per thousand large rifle and $50 per thousand large magnum rifle.
    I Don't reload anything with large rifle so I passed.

Check out the original pricing..

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Good on you for helping your friend's widow. I hope he is looking down and smiling that his investment got such a good return.

And holy moly that seems like a lot of black powder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12