Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Browning Hi-Power

Feedback Score
    I got the Hi Power bug and came across two that I could not pass up. One was blue and the other a two tone Practical (perfect condition).

The blue one I decided to "fix" everything I did not like about Hi Powers, so I sent it off to BH Spring Solutions.

I had them install a BHAdvanced Trigger Sub-Assembly + Install / Fitting / Tuning and their SFS & Springs Hi-Power Service. Not cheap at all a little over $500 total.

What does that get me. Well I carry the safety on and the hammer down now. (the cocked and locked on a 1911 if perfect for me but on a Hi Power I did not like). When I bring the pistol up to fire I drop the safety now on my HP and the hammer goes to the rear position and it is ready to fire. Great system in my opinion.

I get a larger slide release, super easy now, great trigger and trigger job, new hammer, and new ambi safety. Perfect reset and shoots one hole all day long.

What I'm trying to decide if I want to spend more money on the pistol. I don't like the sights and would like to get a Trijicon HD front and Novak all black rear, that is another $400 for the slide to be milled, installed, refinished and cost of the sights.

Then I don't like the slick front and rear of the grip, another $400 to have that done to either checkering or other treatment.

I have $1500 already in the pistol, not sure I want to go more. It's not a Guncrafter, Nighthawk or Wilson but it sure does shoot well.

I like the thin profile of the pistol. (easy to carry like a 1911) I like the Mecgar 15rd mags, perfect function. I just have to decide if more money is going to go into the pistol.

I still have the two tone Hi Power Practical, but I'm not going to touch it for now. Here is a pic of the current blue pistol.
    Last edited by awmp; 06-22-21 at 13:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post

What I'm trying to decide if I want to spend more money on the pistol. I don't like the sights and would like to get a Trijicon HD front and Novak all black rear, that is another $400 for the slide to be milled, installed, refinished and cost of the sights.
    I have a Novak custom with their sights of course and a stock MK III. I don’t really notice a practical difference between the two. (But big difference from the pre-Novak sights on the custom, which were stock from 1972.)

Feedback Score
    I have an old stock mk3 on it's way to my FFL right now. I've always worked on my own Hi Powers but I'm thinking about sending this one out. Idk who to sent it to though.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    When random things happen and combine to make another random thing.

Random thing #1: A magazine for a Sterling 9mm carbine that had a deformed feed lip. Sterling mags are often said to be the best-ever of the type due to a follower that has two rollers in it. I agree they are really good; not sure it's the rollers, these mags also have other advantages like integral feedramps and really solid construction in every other aspect.

Random thing #2: A Browning High Power magazine with a floorplate deformed from a mag change, where it had landed on the rear corner on concrete. Made it impossible to get the floorplate off without first doing some tinkering with it.

Random thing #3: I ran across them both in the same day and decided to pick a special spot to keep mags that need work. In a drawer they went with three old Wilson 1911 mags that had got fat at the top and no longer would drop free. This is a common thing at least with these oldies-- back when they were my first-line mags for competition I would squeeze them back once a year at least, usually right before the Single Stack Nationals.

Random thing #4: As the day wore on I started feeling a need for some instant gratification. I grabbed those two 9mm magazines and..... fixed them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got this old Browning made Israeli

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    For anyone who might want one, it appears that Atlantic Firearms has aluminum framed surplus Hi Power for sale. The funny thing is that based on the description, I don't think that they realize that they have aluminum frames. See my post #26 in this thread for a picture of what one looks like.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/fn-hi-power-surplus-pistol

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345