Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Browning Hi-Power

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Hi Power has long been one of my favorite handguns from an aesthetic standpoint, and it is definitely a classic. I also have one of the FN made Israeli police trade ins. I’ve shot it, but not a lot, and it mostly just sits in my safe. As much as I like the Hi Power, for me, having done the vast majority of my handgun shooting and carrying with striker fired types, the idea of having to disengage a manual safety on the draw just isn’t something I feel like training myself to do, so my BHP is likely to remain mostly a collectible.

Although to be fair, I don’t seem to have an issue with manually operating the safety on an AR when getting on and coming off target...so I could probably learn to do with with a pistol too. I just don’t want to.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I really enjoy customized Hi Powers. So far I've owned customized guns by Ted Yost, Cylinder and Slide, and Chuck Warner. They are extremely ergonomic and great shooters. I do think they need some smithing before reaching their full potential.

As others have said, the caliber and availability were the reasons they didn't catch on in the USA. But when you think it took until the 70-80's for the wonder 9 trend to arrive it's pretty amazing that this was around in the 30's.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I often wished that manufacturers like Springfield, Kimber etc would have produced an updated clones of the HP. In the original Browning Mil configuration, I didn’t enjoy the gun at all. When I tried Novak’s modified one, well it was love at round #3!! While at the time I could not afford a custom gunsmith 1911, I could afford the lightly upgraded/ production customized 1911s on the market. Too bad there wasn't the same effort put into the BHP as there was 1911 ones.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I was very very fortunate to be gifted one and it is an absolute beauty, great grips, great trigger great....

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I remember back in the early 90's seeing a bunch of them (surplus) at a gun show all strung together with one of those cables through the trigger guards. I don't recall how much they cost but I'll wager it wasn't very much.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I remember back in the early 90's seeing a bunch of them (surplus) at a gun show all strung together with one of those cables through the trigger guards. I don't recall how much they cost but I'll wager it wasn't very much.
    I don't know about early 90s but a decade or so later surplus HiPowers were in the $300ish range

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The Hi Power in the US is like the FAL vs the M14. Once you leave the US, they're pretty prolific.

I'm a fan.
    Last edited by mrbieler; 02-06-21 at 21:38.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Y'all should have seen BHP prices at he gun show today. Median around $1500.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Everything is at record prices now !

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I like the idea of the Hi Power, definitely a nice looking pistol but the grip and control layout was always way too little for my hands.

The little bit I shot one my trigger finger went all the way through the trigger guard and was touching my other hand, my weak side thumb was on the dust cover of the slide stop, my strong thumb was way past the thumb safety, and the hammer chewed up the web of my hand.

Something about the steel on steel frame and slide made the recoil light, yet very sharp and bothered my wrist. I wrote that thing off as an obsolete antique

Great size pistol for a middle school age girl, but too dainty for the average male.
    Last edited by 17K; 02-07-21 at 10:46.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast