Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian P320 incident

Feedback Score

Canadian P320 incident

Sounds like an unfortunate circumstance. The guns have been, at least temporarily, withdrawn

NEWINGTON, N.H., (February 5, 2021) – SIG SAUER is working with Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM) to resolve an incident involving the unintended discharge of a P320. An inaccurate and incomplete report of this incident was recently published in the Canadian media that called into question the safety of the P320. While this incident occurred months ago, this erroneous media report is driven by multiple sources, including our competitors, and coincides with the imminent release of other Canadian military and law enforcement tenders, indicating the timing of its release is an attempt to improperly influence the procurements.

The firearm involved has been extensively tested by SIG SAUER and it has been determined to be safe. The investigation revealed the use of an incorrect holster not designed for a P320. The use of a modified P226 holster created an unsafe condition by allowing a foreign object to enter the holster, causing the unintended discharge."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...canadian-p320/
    Last edited by Slater; 02-06-21 at 11:42.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Y’know, one way or another, Sig lives in TFB’s headlines non-stop. Like everytime I go there.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have no doubt that they will eventually work this out. And it’s true that Beretta had issues in the early 80s that were pretty quickly resolved. Glock actually had quite a few problems over time but they have fixed all those too. I just don’t see why they adopted this beta model gun that doesn’t do anything special. I guess it was probably just money but I have suspicions. Especially how the selection sort of came out of the blue right as the Trump admin came in. I suspect guys from the old guard had made a deal but when trump won they had to rush the deal to make sure various retirement packages were secured. Just me being paranoid.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You couldn't pay me to carry one of those things. It just seems to be one thing after another.
    Last edited by freeride1; 02-06-21 at 13:43.

Feedback Score
    Canada is looking to buy up to 20,000 new handguns for it's military to replace their Hi-Powers. I'm sure SIG doesn't want any negative publicity to throw shade on their chances:

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...bruary-536545/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So Sig investigated itself and found no wrongdoing? Well that's good enough for me!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Carrying pistol in holster designed for another pistol, accidental discharge and it is the “guns” fault. Who would have thought?��

Feedback Score
    New holsters probably weren't in the budget.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I have no doubt that they will eventually work this out. And it’s true that Beretta had issues in the early 80s that were pretty quickly resolved. Glock actually had quite a few problems over time but they have fixed all those too. I just don’t see why they adopted this beta model gun that doesn’t do anything special. I guess it was probably just money but I have suspicions. Especially how the selection sort of came out of the blue right as the Trump admin came in. I suspect guys from the old guard had made a deal but when trump won they had to rush the deal to make sure various retirement packages were secured. Just me being paranoid.
    My former agency was the first federal agency to test and award a contract for the P320 in the summer of 2015. DoD was already in the works as I was requested to submit contract surveys to other agencies looking at the P320 and the Army was one of the first to contact me.

We tested four pistols in our evaluation process and Sig clearly outscored the others in the user survey and average qual scores. People in gun forums always use their experience with Glock when comparing to Sig. I was first issued a Glock 17 in 1994. The P320 was the only pistol in our 2015 eval that I had no experience with.

With our evaluation I had a couple of gun guys and the rest were non gun people. I had a 20 plus question evaluation for each shooter rating 1 to 5 on questions covering trigger pull, grip feel, shape of the trigger guard, perceived recoil and such. Then I had the shooters fire our day course, the reduced light course and our 100 percent drill with and without gloves, with and without a weapon light.

I remember the feel of the trigger safety on some of the pistols compared to the P320 was a point of conversation. When the average officer shoots a few hundred of rounds a day for a week through multiple pistols and one gives you a blister on your trigger finger when the others don't will get you a lower rating. When one pistol gets a 1 in a category and the others get a 4 or 5 that kills its score.

I went off on kind of a tangent but just trying to get gun forum readers to realize that our decades of experience with a Glock does not compare to a shooter/evaluator who only has boot camp/police academy level of firearms experience. David
    Last edited by dwhitehorne; 02-07-21 at 07:40.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    We tested four pistols in our evaluation process and Sig clearly outscored the others in the user survey and average qual scores.
    The P320 is stupid easy to shoot. If you suck with a P320, you should really hang it up. Then again, a safey-less SAO type pistol should be easy to shoot. Just don't drop it on it's ass if you don't have the 'safety upgrade'.

I owned & carried several P320s - sold them and went Glock for a number of reasons, well before the drop BOOM issue came to light. If they work for you, great.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast