Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PVS-14s, spend my (limited) budget

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    Both were under or around 1.
    I'm having a hard time understanding how that Echo unit could be so noisy with those specs. That's wild.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding how that Echo unit could be so noisy with those specs. That's wild.
    When I get some time away from the phones I'll try to get some new pics comparing a newer Echo and a green 1900 fom.

I posted some pics on IG comparing a very similar spec WHP1900 fom unit and an Echo a few months back. The Echo pic came out much more blue than it is in real life somehow. Someone told me I should just change some phone setting but I never mess with pic settings on my phone to avoid someone saying I altered a pic, etc.

The bottom line is there isn't a helluva lot of difference between the two, only the buyer can make the choice if the difference is worth the extra bucks and a big jump in lead time.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    When I get some time away from the phones I'll try to get some new pics comparing a newer Echo and a green 1900 fom.

I posted some pics on IG comparing a very similar spec WHP1900 fom unit and an Echo a few months back. The Echo pic came out much more blue than it is in real life somehow. Someone told me I should just change some phone setting but I never mess with pic settings on my phone to avoid someone saying I altered a pic, etc.

The bottom line is there isn't a helluva lot of difference between the two, only the buyer can make the choice if the difference is worth the extra bucks and a big jump in lead time.
    Age shouldn't matter though should it? I mean FOM is FOM right? I'm just wondering if maybe there are differences in specs from manufacturer to manufacturer. Like maybe they can tweak the settings on their equipment to get higher SN ratios. Like maybe some manufacturers tweak the calibration to be more in their favor or something.

Feedback Score
    Age shouldn't matter though should it? I mean FOM is FOM right? I'm just wondering if maybe there are differences in specs from manufacturer to manufacturer. Like maybe they can tweak the settings on their equipment to get higher SN ratios. Like maybe some manufacturers tweak the calibration to be more in their favor or something.
    No age doesn't matter.

My point was that the Echos that have been shipping in the last 6 months are considerably higher in specifications than the Echos from just a few years ago- in other words, the Echo used for the pic above that was done a few years ago.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    Wow thanks so much for all the input. Given the pictures posted I’d take the green over white, but I’m very curious to see what the new WP tubes look like.
    Thanks a bunch lowdown, so what’s this M4c.com discount? Lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendelshooter View Post
    Wow thanks so much for all the input. Given the pictures posted I’d take the green over white, but I’m very curious to see what the new WP tubes look like.
    Can't speak to the Echo, but the whites I've seen in the 1600+ range are crispy fresh as can be. If he says the newer Echos stack up against that green one he posted then I would get one in a heartbeat.

Feedback Score

Shoot me an email at

and let me know the model you decide on and I'd be happy to quote a discounted M4carbine.net price for you.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    Can't speak to the Echo, but the whites I've seen in the 1600+ range are crispy fresh as can be. If he says the newer Echos stack up against that green one he posted then I would get one in a heartbeat.
    We have another NV class coming up on the 20th, I'll try to post some more pics then.

90% of the pics on my IG page that are WP are from an Echo spec unit. ALL of the WP class photos are, and all of the Green Phosphor pics from classes are from a green 1900 fom unit.

https://www.instagram.com/jrhenterprises/
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have a couple of thermal rifle scopes and now want to add NV to my little stash.
    Ideally, 2-3 PVS-14s. Would do a bino setup but I’d like to have the basics for a couple of people instead.
    My last experience was with Army infantry line-issue PVS-14s from 2001-2008. Basic stuff but was plenty good for how we used them.
    So if I was looking for 10 year old Pvs-14 level tech what am I looking for? What’s a good, solid, middle of the road monocular? Around the $3k mark.
    I have a friend who is the same for experience (2001-2005 OIF?). I told him I was getting a pvs14 and he felt rather meh. I let him look through it and it blew his mind (L3 filmless 2376+ fom). He said it was so much better than what he was expecting. This leads me to believe a decent Elbit WP tube would make you very happy. However, an l3 filmless wp unit would, if your AO is very dark, be a lot nicer. If you're in the city, I'd even adventure to say a photonis echo would be fine, and maybe preferable in a light heavy area. TNVC seems the best bet for Elbit and L3, while I'd say JRH for photonis.

*be ware that the i2 world is basically "mean girls" meets "Fast n Furious" with a dash of reddit thrown in. Purses will be slung, and friendships made and unmade. Let technical data drive your decisions.
    Last edited by WS6; 02-09-21 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am just getting into NV and went with the Photonis unit from JRH. Spoke with Robert a bunch about it. Looking at the specs of the Photonis units that JRH has been sending out, they are pretty incredible especially considering the price and lead time. Looking at his pictures, I think this will be a great unit especially for a first timer.

Once I get it (should be soon) and figure out how to use it, I will try to post some pics.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast