Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 Baer Government

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    It’s certainly true regarding the penetration/expansion.
    The recoil in +P 9mm is also more of an issue than standard pressure, however personally I don’t find +P 9mm a deal breaker like I do in .45. ACP.
    Of course that’s subjective.
    That's the only aspect I was referring to yes.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Went to a local LEO demo on ammo a couple years back. I know it was just on gelatin but the ammo rep was not affiliated with my agency's current issue and had no dog in my issue. Current duty issue is Winchester Ranger 230gr JHP +P, I also had on hand same load standard pressure and the rep was touting the HST. In every comparison the +P got full expansion and always penetrated 3-5" more than all standard pressure loads. Issued for about 7 years now and have not noticed any excessive wear with S&W M&P45 standard factory recoil spring. Velocities were running on average low 900's from the muzzle, recoil still manageable but noticeable.

Feedback Score
    I read a great explanation on here somewhere where a poster said that the recoil springs job is to return the slide to battery. He even went on to say that a 1911 could be fired without a recoil spring (turning it into a single shot pistol). This poster said that most of the recoil is absorbed by the main spring. I wish I could find the thread.

Feedback Score
    I have some older +P HST in my stash. The only benefit it provides is actually existing during this difficult time of finding reasonably priced standard pressure. To that end I run a 23lb mainspring and 18.5 recoil spring. It seems to handle it okay. Otherwise I run 17 recoil springs in my training guns.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Why bother running +p is more the Q that comes to mind. Hard on gun, hard on hands, does not appear to offer superior terminal ballistics to modern JHPs and may even be inferior dependent on the JHP used.

"Just cuz" is an acceptable response too, just checking to make clarify the why of it.
    I agree with prior posters that +P .45 acp is sub optimal. However, in the current ammo environment, "because it's available" could be a valid reason.

If +P .45 was all I could get I would be looking at shooting it in something other than a 1911.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-05-21 at 23:47.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    Everyone seems to want a little more horsepower. If you gotta run +P you could easily switch to a square bottomed firing pin stop. Check your mainspring, as many manufacturers use lighter than the standard 23# spring, I assume for trigger pull reasons.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Why bother running +p is more the Q that comes to mind. Hard on gun, hard on hands, does not appear to offer superior terminal ballistics to modern JHPs and may even be inferior dependent on the JHP used.

"Just cuz" is an acceptable response too, just checking to make clarify the why of it.
    I would offer up a response to the question of "why":

Because not everyone lives in suburbia and not every threat is in the form of a human .

Some of us live and spend our recreational time where there are animals such as Black and Grizzly bears, lions, wolves, etc. Having a semi auto loaded with heavy for caliber projectiles such as 250 grain flat points in .45 ACP or 200 grain grain hardcast 10mm flatpoints in a +P load is actually advantageous over carrying a 6 shot revolver, due to the ability to get fast and accurate hits on target, and more of them. That same 1911 with +P loads can work both for a hike on the Idaho-Montana border, as well as a trip into town for a grocery run to Costco.

These fresh piles of bear scat were just feet from the door of the place we were staying last month. Given my choice of a standard 230 grain load at 750 FPS (actual chronograph speed versus the optimistic factory stated velocities) or a heavy load that is closer in performance to the original .45 Colt ( I run a 250 hardcast that averages 956 FPS from a 5" 1911) , I absolutely know which I want.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12