Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Baer Government

Feedback Score

1911 Baer Government

So what's your choice of recoil springs for 230 +P?

Feedback Score
    Nighthawk Everlast flat wire kit, with a 23lb mainspring and a flat bottom firing pin stop.
    https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/part...pring_type=513

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5shank View Post
    Why bother running +p is more the Q that comes to mind. Hard on gun, hard on hands, does not appear to offer superior terminal ballistics to modern JHPs and may even be inferior dependent on the JHP used.

"Just cuz" is an acceptable response too, just checking to make clarify the why of it.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Will is Correct.

+P anything is a blowjob in .45 ACP.
    Standard pressure, 230 gr JHP (think HST/Gold Dot) is controllable, shot to shot is quicker than with +P.
    The loads above ARE the Gold Standard for .45 ACP.

Being an American, years back I was sure that +P had to be “da chit” in .45. “Faster is better”, right?
    You lose penetration the faster the bullet travels. Controllability goes out the window.
    The HST and Gold Dot in .45 were designed for appropriate penetration and expansion.
    I strongly discourage using +P in .45, 9mm is a different story.

Add; I run 15# RS with a FBFPS (Flat Bottom Firing Pin Stop) and 16# with OEM FPS.
    Last edited by gaijin; 02-07-21 at 12:23.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Will is Correct.

Standard pressure, 230 gr JHP (think HST/Gold Dot) is controllable, shot to shot is quicker than with +P.

Being an American, years back I was sure that +P had to be “da chit” in .45. “Faster is better”, right?
    You lose penetration the faster the bullet travels. Controllability goes out the window.
    The HST and Gold Dot in .45 were designed for appropriate penetration and expansion.

Add; I run 15# RS with a FBFPS (Flat Bottom Firing Pin Stop) and 16# with OEM FPS.
    Far as I'm awares, that's true of all modern JHP in typical duty loads, including 9mm.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    It’s certainly true regarding the penetration/expansion.
    The recoil in +P 9mm is also more of an issue than standard pressure, however personally I don’t find +P 9mm a deal breaker like I do in .45. ACP.
    Of course that’s subjective.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Will is Correct.

Depends on the gun.

Top of the chart 45ACP +p loadings in my comped 1911 do not feel anything like they would in a regular 1911. (using powder that works the comp of course)

I have actually had milk jugs fall off the bench BEFORE I could shoot them with that thing because they were scared. They saw what happened to their milk jug friends and said 'hell no'...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5shank View Post

Will depend on your gun. What works in mine may not work the exact same in yours.

Best bet is to buy a calibration pack of springs and tune to fit your exact ammo and needs. gunsprings.com is usually where I get that sort of stuff. No such thing as too many springs...

Feedback Score
    Getting back to the Question? what weight recoil spring for 230gr with a pinch of extra zip?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Here's the thing. The heavier your recoil spring the more the gun will dip when the slide runs forward. All of the energy stored in the spring when the slide retracts comes back to slam forward harder.

Be sure to use a standard 23 lb mainspring or higher. The mainspring is the first absorber of energy as the gun recoils out of battery. Bleed off as much energy as you can there so you can minimize the slide velocity (and get away with the lightest recoil spring possible).

Guys running full power loads in the Delta Elite use 20 to 22 lb recoil springs.

I'd start with 23 mainspring, 20 recoil and work it from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast