Thread: What to do with a transitional model/C8 type upper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What to do with a transitional model/C8 type upper

I already have a Colt 723 "style" build that I really like. It's of the later Larry Vickers type with an M4 profile barrel in 14.5. Actually it's a Colt SOCOM barrel but it looks like a M4 profile on the bits one can see... It's what I had and I like it. Picked up another upper so maybe a early style with a pencil barrel? Who makes a quality 14.5/7" skinny barrel, carbine with front sight tower? Or maybe a rifle upper?
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    I am doing a similar build, with a LutherAr upper with A1 sights and a Colt M4A1 14.5 inch barrel. Ordering a Surefire 4 prong flash suppressor and standard M4 hand guards. I still have a few more parts to buy to finish the upper. Then I will work on the lower receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1trp45 View Post
    I am doing a similar build, with a LutherAr upper with A1 sights and a Colt M4A1 14.5 inch barrel. Ordering a Surefire 4 prong flash suppressor and standard M4 hand guards. I still have a few more parts to buy to finish the upper. Then I will work on the lower receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bear in mind, the 723s used an A2 FH. As for the lower, you can be correct with either an A1 or A2.

This is a late 723 I built using a Colt 14.5" 1/7 barrel with a 1/4" spacer and A2 FH pinned and welded. The upper is original Colt (with large round head FA) as are the handguards, BCG and CH. The CAR stock is M&A Parts, which is mil-spec.

Last edited by Renegade04; 02-11-21 at 12:48.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Bear in mind, the 723s used an A2 FH. As for the lower, you can be correct with either an A1 or A2.

This is a late 723 I built using a Colt 14.5" 1/7 barrel with a 1/4" spacer and A2 FH pinned and welded. The upper is original Colt (with large round head FA) as are the handguards, BCG and CH. The CAR stock is M&A Parts, which is mil-spec.

My handguard is 7 hole. How correct [maybe incorrect] is the 7 hole? I'm talking about a 723 clone. I have a Colt A2 grip and CAR buttstock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    My handguard is 7 hole. How correct [maybe incorrect] is the 7 hole? I'm talking about a 723 clone. I have a Colt A2 grip and CAR buttstock.
    The 6-hole CAR handguards are correct for the 723.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    7-hole “fat” M4 style or 7-hole CAR style? USAF GUU-5/Ps can often be seen in configurations resembling that of the 723, but with M4 handguards as well. 7-hole skinny CAR handguards aren’t really “correct” for any Colt clone, although they work as a placeholder. But I can almost guarantee that eventually the extra hole will start to bug you.
    As already stated 6-hole CAR handguards are what is correct for a factory 723.....although in general there weren’t a lot of constants with the 700-series in general.

As far as barrels go, currently there aren’t a lot of options for carbine-gas pencil barrels. Green Mountain was selling 14.5” and 14.7” pencils, but I think they are out of stock at the moment. They were also stripped, without the FSBs. So you’d have to get a a Non-F height .625 FSB and have it pinned on by someone who knows what they are doing (John Thomas at Retro Arms Works would be an example.)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    7-hole “fat” M4 style or 7-hole CAR style? USAF GUU-5/Ps can often be seen in configurations resembling that of the 723, but with M4 handguards as well. 7-hole skinny CAR handguards aren’t really “correct” for any Colt clone, although they work as a placeholder. But I can almost guarantee that eventually the extra hole will start to bug you.
    As already stated 6-hole CAR handguards are what is correct for a factory 723.....although in general there weren’t a lot of constants with the 700-series in general.

As far as barrels go, currently there aren’t a lot of options for carbine-gas pencil barrels. Green Mountain was selling 14.5” and 14.7” pencils, but I think they are out of stock at the moment. They were also stripped, without the FSBs. So you’d have to get a a Non-F height .625 FSB and have it pinned on by someone who knows what they are doing (John Thomas at Retro Arms Works would be an example.)
    Mine is a 7 hole CAR "style" handguard. A friend gave it to me so it's what I had to use, I'll be getting a 6 hole now...