Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHY?

Feedback Score

Valid point

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Which is exactly why you do what I suggested above. Get a 5.56 (or 5.45, or .22) upper for training, and a 6.8 upper for when you need the extra oomph.
    Valid point, however, I have found it cheaper to just load 75gr OTM or TAP. Friends in both SF and SWAT have had good results with both (respectively). If it works for them, figure it will work for me.
    Last edited by DHC45; 12-05-08 at 22:42.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."- John Stuart Mill English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHC45 View Post
    Valid point, however, I have found it cheaper to just load 75gr OTM or TAP. Friends in both SF and SWAT have had good results with both (respectively). If it works for them, figure it will work for me.
    Except that, depending on your use, it may not "work fine", and better is still better.

I have shot two hogs with 75 grain OTM Black Hills. The first was a 60 pounder that I dropped with a heart/lung shot in her tracks. The second was closer to 100 lbs and the fragmenting nature of rounds that are designed for two-leggers is far from ideal on game.

A better round is always a better round. With the lower compatibility there really is no downside to using a better round for defense and saving the lesser round for training.

If I were starting today with building/buying ARs I would most likely have one 16" in 5.56 and one SBR (preferably both Noveske N4s), with identical uppers for each in 6.8 and .22LR. One 5.56, one 6.8,and one .22LR can for each and I'd be well stocked for literally any potential shooting requirement/engagement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    If I were starting today with building/buying ARs I would most likely have one 16" in 5.56 and one SBR (preferably both Noveske N4s), with identical uppers for each in 6.8 and .22LR. One 5.56, one 6.8,and one .22LR can for each and I'd be well stocked for literally any potential shooting requirement/engagement.
    Very sound and solid plan, even if they can't be Noveskes.

Check your PM.
    Last edited by DHC45; 12-06-08 at 23:35.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."- John Stuart Mill English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    If you make it to Ga where I currently am, look me up, I'll let you test fire my big bore battery
    I'm in SC and travel to ATL quite often I may take you up on that. I also hit the Suches area at least twice a year on my motorcycle.

I'm already leaning heavily toward the .458 SOCOM anyway. shooting one will undoubtedly push me over the edge.

""Surely something must be terribly wrong with a man who seems to be far more concerned with a Jew building a house in Israel than with a Muslim building a nuclear bomb in Iran."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12