Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 60 rd straight mag

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I think you and I are the only ones who don't have issues with our Surefire 60s. Mine has always been flawless, which makes me think there is a lot of internet crybabies who don't know what they are talking about. Shocking...
    I couldn’t get through five rounds without mine binding up and failing. Vickers even put out a disclaimer about how they are a mixed bag with some failing right out of the package. I went to 40 rounders and had no problems. This was in an issued M4 with H2 buffer and Sprinco buffer spring that was 100% with every other mag I used.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedyz View Post
    I couldn’t get through five rounds without mine binding up and failing. Vickers even put out a disclaimer about how they are a mixed bag with some failing right out of the package. I went to 40 rounders and had no problems. This was in an issued M4 with H2 buffer and Sprinco buffer spring that was 100% with every other mag I used.

I don't doubt you at all.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedyz View Post
    I had the same issues with mine. But it ran fine in my buddies rifle, so I sold it to him. This was right after they came out and I didn’t know enough technically about the platform to diagnose the issue. I just assumed it was my franken build.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I think you and I are the only ones who don't have issues with our Surefire 60s. Mine has always been flawless, which makes me think there is a lot of internet crybabies who don't know what they are talking about. Shocking...
    Yeah. I have another one new in wrapper. I kinda want to test fire it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All things being equal, the higher the capacity, the less reliable the mag will be. I think you have to ask yourself how many rounds is enough. Considering things start feeling really heavy, I would say 30 is plenty.

The lust for higher capacity mags stems from trying to make assault rifles double as light machineguns. Which with constant recoil and open bolt modes is now a reality. I know they get a lot of hate, but I think Surefire has the right idea. It allows for more rounds without dramatically lengthening the mag or making the compression rate crazy short. I've not shot mine very much, but I have some first gen Surefire 60s, and I haven't found any issues with them. Could be that I just haven't shot them enough, but I've spoken with others who have put many thousands of rounds through them and reported success. I can accept that the design or perhaps just the quality control might need some tweaking, but I think in general they're good to go. I also suspect that those who have had problems with them might have been the victims of circumstance rather than faulty mags. There's a lot we don't know about them. Could be that there are certain setups or ammunition they don't like. I've also heard that some got out of the factory with rough followers and that after polishing the bits of flashing they ran flawlessly. I would probably go with that since it's been around longer.
    Last edited by okie; 02-10-21 at 12:39.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12