Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lets talk buffer upgrades

Feedback Score

lets talk buffer upgrades

i see kits and people talking about upgrading , swapping out , what is gained by this , is it a result of other upgrades that make it necessary?

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    In a nutshell, slows the recoil impulse, makes it easier to stay on target, and more reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    People swap buffers based on the guns gas in order to make it run softer or work suppressed or unsuppressed. It also varies upon what ammo people are using. I have never felt the need to tame the recoil of the mighty 5.56 and doubt that the vast majority of shooters would benefit more from messing with a functioning rifle’s buffer system more than they would investing in ammo or training. The problem with ammo and training is you can’t show it to your buddies.

Bottom line- if your gun is running fine and you’re not at the top of the podium or crushing proven drill par times, just shoot it more and invest in quality training.

Feedback Score
    thankyou , thats what i wasnt getting , recoil is almost non existent , muzzle flip yes ,but not recoil which would mean the buffer is working as it should

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Unfortunately, the 3.0 oz carbine buffer was the standard for years and still is for some manufacturers. When collapsible stocks became the norm in .mil and civilian circles, folks realized the standard buffer was too light and the H1-H3 buffers came to be.

There is also an A5 system that uses a longer receiver extension (buffer tube) and buffer with a rifle recoil spring but still allows the use of collapsible stocks. I believe there is a consensus that the A5 system is superior but the receiver extensions are more expensive and harder to find.

The bottom line is that most ARs with carbine receiver extensions should run a H1 or H2 buffer. Some manufacturers still send their guns out the door with standard weight buffers and it is worth swapping to a H1 or H2 buffer for a number of reasons.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does help with dwell time as well if needed. This all depends on barrel length and gas port sizes.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Like Andylate said... the old Carbine Buffer was worthless. WAY too light. The correct buffer for a carbine system is H2, which most closely matches the function/physics of the Rifle buffer system.

Correcting the gassing of a gun is WAY better than masking an issue with a non standard buffer.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In anything but an undergassed gun, a heavier buffer is better than a light buffer (to a point). More reciprocating mass means the bcg will plow through any fouling and have the inertia to strip a round from the magazine and return to battery. There’s also the secondary effect of driving the muzzle on target.

The A5 system also spreads the work over more spring coils, which has the effect of making the system more forgiving in a wider range of situations: different calibers, suppressed, unsuppressed, different bbl lengths, etc.

Not that my BCM was OVERgassed, or that I had any issues with reliability, but swapping in an A5H2 buffer and a Sprinco Green rifle sprint has made an already soft shooting gun even softer.

My dad’s 12.5 kino upper actually recoiled a bit harshly before we added a LAW folding adapter, Sprinco Green spring, and an A5H3 buffer. Altogether that’s a 8+ oz mass and an extra power spring, which tells me the upper is quite generously gassed. It now runs like a sewing machine, and brass ejection is so consistent you can literally put a coffee can on the ground and catch it. And his dot comes back down on target each time.
    Last edited by MWAG19919; 02-11-21 at 12:08.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Some people do it because they lack understanding, but read about it on the internet and simply create an unreliable weapon.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have an H2 in 2 of my Colt 6920s because I read on the internet that the Canadian and US military had found it to be the best on unsuppressed guns 14.5-20”, and I have never as far as I can remember bought any ammo that wasn’t legit 5.56 pressure. So I gotta be oper8ing with a tier 1 buffer..

FWIW I never had any issue with the stock H buffer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast