Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lets talk buffer upgrades

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I used H buffers almost exclusively in carbines for a while but as of a couple years ago I’ve started using H2s in a few of my gassier guns. Not having any suppressors, I haven’t had to play around with buffer setups for that type of use.

Outside of Colt, where IIRC apparently the H2 buffer is primarily intended to mitigate bolt bounce against the greater mass of a Socom profile barrel, heavier buffers are kind of convenient a “band aid” solution for guns with bigger gas ports.

I believe Chris Bartocci has gone on the record on numerous occasions discouraging the use of H2s in non-Socom barreled carbines but I think that textbook answer might not always translate to the real world quite so well where you have guns with varying levels of deviation from the M4 TDP.

Feedback Score
    I have become addicted to the JP silent capture buffer because of the convenience

I have a variety of them with additional weights to adjust them

Since I run .223, 6mm grendel, 6.5 mm grendel, 6.8 spc and 30 cal spc between the buffer and an adjustable gas block I get them all running fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I used H buffers almost exclusively in carbines for a while but as of a couple years ago I’ve started using H2s in a few of my gassier guns. Not having any suppressors, I haven’t had to play around with buffer setups for that type of use.

Outside of Colt, where IIRC apparently the H2 buffer is primarily intended to mitigate bolt bounce against the greater mass of a Socom profile barrel, heavier buffers are kind of convenient a “band aid” solution for guns with bigger gas ports.
    My 6721 (heavier than a Socom barrel) came from the factory with an H buffer. Does not need any more weight in my opinion...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Some people do it because they lack understanding, but read about it on the internet and simply create an unreliable weapon.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    My 6721 (heavier than a Socom barrel) came from the factory with an H buffer. Does not need any more weight in my opinion...
    I think full auto figured into the equation somehow as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I think full auto figured into the equation somehow as well.
    Not just on that barrel either.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Not just on that barrel either.
    I think the H buffer first came out with the original M4, along with the extended “M4 feed ramps” to address feeding issues with M855 in full auto, and then the H2 came out later to help address the “bolt bounce” issue with the Socom profile barrel that came later on.
    If I remember my lore correctly- Originally there was the M4, which had an S-1-3 fire control group, and the M4A1, which had an S-1-Auto fire control group, but was otherwise the same thing as the M4. Then the Socom profile barrels were brought out because US special forces were warping the barrels on their M4A1s with a lot of full auto fire, but the guns with the Socom barrels kept the M4A1 designation.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 02-13-21 at 02:48.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    H2 has been the sweet spot for us, in all our guns at carbine stocks, from 18" to 11.5".

In every case, seemed to smooth things out. Less jumpy. Just seems right, in all of 'em.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12