Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want a PCC, PTR 9C vs B&T GHM-9

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Want a PCC, PTR 9C vs B&T GHM-9

I'd like to add a PCC to the collection sooner rather than later and I'd also like to start buying magazines to stock up. I haven't started that because I can't figure out which PCC to buy.

I think I've narrowed it down to the two in the title - either an MP5 clone, specifically the PTR 9C due to a price point I can swing, the integrated rail for a red dot which I will be using and the upgraded handguard. The GHM-9 is the other contender, I like the controls on the GHM9 better but I am concerned about the longevity of the magazines.

Either of these guns would be SBRed and wear a red dot and suppressor 100% of the time. For various reasons I've ruled out guns like the MPX, Stribog and AR-9; the Scorpion is still in the back of my mind but it's a very distant third to the two above.

Anything I should know about PTR's MP5 clone? Are magazines (breaking feed lips) really an issue with the B&T guns?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a GHM9 for almost 3 years now and never had issues with the B&T mags. I also have a TP9 and APC9 that use same mags and no issues as well. My GHM9 is Gen 1 with updated feed ramp so no issues feeding HP ammo. I live in a no suppressor state so I can’t comment on how it shoots suppressed.

Feedback Score
    I have a TP9. The magazines look great plus I like the idea of being able to use them in other firearms. I also have a first generation Stribog. It's had absolutely no issues at all and its magazines look great too.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    How about a APC9 Pro with Glock mags?

I had a Scorpion and it while it worked it just felt cheap to me. Upgraded to an APC9k Pro with the Glock lower, and now I can use the same magazines I use for my carry gun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Of those two options I’d probably go with the B&T.
    I might be 100% wrong here, and these are just my own personal biases talking....but I sort of don’t totally feel like PTR’s products are really “serious use” guns. I’ve just always gotten the impression they are more kinda “hobby clones” for people who just want something that looks like an HK but don’t actually care about HK QC and durability. Again I might be way off the mark in that assessment.
    In any case, not getting a PCC has been one of my big gun-related regrets. I am still thinking I may get one if I get a chance, despite the fact that another 9mm eater is really going to be hard to feed right now. I’ve mostly been leaning toward the CZ Scorpion, but lately have been thinking hard about the Glock mag variant of the GHM9. The B&T’s price kinda gives me pause though, but I pretty much hear nothing but good things about their products.
    I hear a ton of praise for the Scorpion too, but it’s bit bulkier than the GHM9.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    The B&T’s price kinda gives me pause though, but I pretty much hear nothing but good things about their products.
    I hear a ton of praise for the Scorpion too, but it’s bit bulkier than the GHM9.
    The price is definitely tough to swallow, but my B&T APC9k is better than my scorpion was in every way. I had the Scorpion micro, so I wouldn't consider it especially bulky but it needs so many upgrades for it to be really usable. After changing the grip, the trigger, the charging handle, the safety levers, the magazine release, and the rail the price difference isn't as substantial and you still have a much lower quality item. The all plastic receiver also doesn't handle kabooms very well either, and those seemed to be more common than I've seen with other firearms.

Feedback Score
    I may own several, maybe more, PCCs... Including from the gents in Thun. Either are good choices, but...

The MP5 platform is still the measurement for all the rest of quasi sub guns.

The magazine is absolutely the best of all platforms mentioned in this thread. The only better mag by reputation is the Sterling. B&T’s magazines cost like H&K with none of the excellence. I had a plastic magazine crack and B&T USA was pretty timely in replacing it.

The MP5 ergonomics and trigger are decidedly Germanic circa 1960, e.g. designed to fit the Hitler Youth. That may or may not not work for you. The GHM is 50 years newer on both counts, but the ergonomics aren’t dramatically better for me. The B&T is going to have a better trigger than a MP5 in almost every case.

I will take roller locking over blowback any day, no matter the supposed refinement. My experience with pure blowback in very cold climes is negative, so roller lock wins for me. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    I may own several, maybe more, PCCs... Including from the gents in Thun. Either are good choices, but...

The MP5 platform is still the measurement for all the rest of quasi sub guns.

The magazine is absolutely the best of all platforms mentioned in this thread. The only better mag by reputation is the Sterling. B&T’s magazines cost like H&K with none of the excellence. I had a plastic magazine crack and B&T USA was pretty timely in replacing it.

The MP5 ergonomics and trigger are decidedly Germanic circa 1960, e.g. designed to fit the Hitler Youth. That may or may not not work for you. The GHM is 50 years newer on both counts, but the ergonomics aren’t dramatically better for me. The B&T is going to have a better trigger than a MP5 in almost every case.

I will take roller locking over blowback any day, no matter the supposed refinement. My experience with pure blowback in very cold climes is negative, so roller lock wins for me. YMMV.
    If I could pick any PCC to have, an SBR’d HK SP5/SP5K (although I think my preference would be the full size) would definitely be my first pick. I have been infatuated with the MP5 since I was a teenager, well before I actually got to fire one. Once I shot one, I was super-hooked. Sadly the pricetag means I’ll likely never have one. Even the very pricey GHM9, at $1500-$1600 is like less than half what the HK costs.

Honestly at this rate, it’s more likely that society will collapse and I’ll be able to get ahold of an actual battlefield pickup select-fire MP5 in some Mad Max hellscape future, than it is that I’ll ever buy an SP5.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    If I could pick any PCC to have, an SBR’d HK SP5/SP5K (although I think my preference would be the full size) would definitely be my first pick. I have been infatuated with the MP5 since I was a teenager, well before I actually got to fire one. Once I shot one, I was super-hooked. Sadly the pricetag means I’ll likely never have one. Even the very pricey GHM9, at $1500-$1600 is like less than half what the HK costs.

Honestly at this rate, it’s more likely that society will collapse and I’ll be able to get ahold of an actual battlefield pickup select-fire MP5 in some Mad Max hellscape future, than it is that I’ll ever buy an SP5.
    Why have you ruled out the MPX?

Blowback is crap. Regardless of whether or not it has a hydraulic buffer.

In 2021 we should have a system more refined than simple blowback. Yes, it works but there are other, better options out there that work too. Then again, the simplicity of blowback is sometimes attractive, pending adding a suppressor or being OK with the gun recoiling like a .308.

Between the two, I would go with the GHM9 only because its simple, the price point is nice and the system has a pretty large following regarding brace/stock options. Additionally, should you fancy it, you can go ahead and add a scorpion magazine ready lower from Lingle Industries once its released. That alone is SUPER attractive to me as the scorpion magazine is largely regarded as one of the best PCC options these days.
    You are a genuine toolbag if you have your EDC "loadout" in your signature line...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Why have you ruled out the MPX?

Blowback is crap. Regardless of whether or not it has a hydraulic buffer.

In 2021 we should have a system more refined than simple blowback. Yes, it works but there are other, better options out there that work too. Then again, the simplicity of blowback is sometimes attractive, pending adding a suppressor or being OK with the gun recoiling like a .308.

Between the two, I would go with the GHM9 only because its simple, the price point is nice and the system has a pretty large following regarding brace/stock options. Additionally, should you fancy it, you can go ahead and add a scorpion magazine ready lower from Lingle Industries once its released. That alone is SUPER attractive to me as the scorpion magazine is largely regarded as one of the best PCC options these days.

Price is mostly why I never gave the MPX much thought. Plus aren’t the magazines like stupid expensive too? I’m a guy who likes to have at least 10+ mags per gun.
    Even the pretty pricey GHM9 is still cheaper than the MPX and the Glock lower variant at least uses a mag I already have a literal pile of.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast