Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want a PCC, PTR 9C vs B&T GHM-9

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Want a PCC, PTR 9C vs B&T GHM-9

I'd like to add a PCC to the collection sooner rather than later and I'd also like to start buying magazines to stock up. I haven't started that because I can't figure out which PCC to buy.

I think I've narrowed it down to the two in the title - either an MP5 clone, specifically the PTR 9C due to a price point I can swing, the integrated rail for a red dot which I will be using and the upgraded handguard. The GHM-9 is the other contender, I like the controls on the GHM9 better but I am concerned about the longevity of the magazines.

Either of these guns would be SBRed and wear a red dot and suppressor 100% of the time. For various reasons I've ruled out guns like the MPX, Stribog and AR-9; the Scorpion is still in the back of my mind but it's a very distant third to the two above.

Anything I should know about PTR's MP5 clone? Are magazines (breaking feed lips) really an issue with the B&T guns?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a GHM9 for almost 3 years now and never had issues with the B&T mags. I also have a TP9 and APC9 that use same mags and no issues as well. My GHM9 is Gen 1 with updated feed ramp so no issues feeding HP ammo. I live in a no suppressor state so I can’t comment on how it shoots suppressed.

Feedback Score
    I have a TP9. The magazines look great plus I like the idea of being able to use them in other firearms. I also have a first generation Stribog. It's had absolutely no issues at all and its magazines look great too.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    How about a APC9 Pro with Glock mags?

I had a Scorpion and it while it worked it just felt cheap to me. Upgraded to an APC9k Pro with the Glock lower, and now I can use the same magazines I use for my carry gun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Of those two options I’d probably go with the B&T.
    I might be 100% wrong here, and these are just my own personal biases talking....but I sort of don’t totally feel like PTR’s products are really “serious use” guns. I’ve just always gotten the impression they are more kinda “hobby clones” for people who just want something that looks like an HK but don’t actually care about HK QC and durability. Again I might be way off the mark in that assessment.
    In any case, not getting a PCC has been one of my big gun-related regrets. I am still thinking I may get one if I get a chance, despite the fact that another 9mm eater is really going to be hard to feed right now. I’ve mostly been leaning toward the CZ Scorpion, but lately have been thinking hard about the Glock mag variant of the GHM9. The B&T’s price kinda gives me pause though, but I pretty much hear nothing but good things about their products.
    I hear a ton of praise for the Scorpion too, but it’s bit bulkier than the GHM9.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    The B&T’s price kinda gives me pause though, but I pretty much hear nothing but good things about their products.
    I hear a ton of praise for the Scorpion too, but it’s bit bulkier than the GHM9.
    The price is definitely tough to swallow, but my B&T APC9k is better than my scorpion was in every way. I had the Scorpion micro, so I wouldn't consider it especially bulky but it needs so many upgrades for it to be really usable. After changing the grip, the trigger, the charging handle, the safety levers, the magazine release, and the rail the price difference isn't as substantial and you still have a much lower quality item. The all plastic receiver also doesn't handle kabooms very well either, and those seemed to be more common than I've seen with other firearms.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I don’t doubt it’s a great gun, I have heard that a lot. It’s just too expensive. As in, I literally can’t afford one, just like with the SP5, which I would buy in a second if I had the funds to spend.
    Something that takes Glock mags would be nice, which is why I have been kinda toying with getting that version of the GHM9. But that’s still a lot of money for me. Honestly though it’s probably going to be either Scorpion or Stribog for me and even then I’ll still probably have to put the thing on layaway. Although I better make the decision soon so I can start buying mags in advance of when I actually get the gun in hand.
    I didn’t want to jump on the SP5 bandwagon but I’m glad I did. They beat B&T in every way

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ream-gun-MP5SD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I didn’t want to jump on the SP5 bandwagon but I’m glad I did. They beat B&T in every way

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ream-gun-MP5SD
    Just a regular old “MP5A2” style SP5 SBR would be my dream PCC. When I was a teenager I was really enamored with the “K” but as I grew up I kinda shifted my interest more toward the standard length model, and that being the variant I’ve actually fired probably helped that as well.
    I’m kind of eying a PCC for actual practical purposes though - namely indoor HD to mostly supplant the 5.56 AR that currently fills that role - so my decision making process is kind of more rooted in trying to strike the right balance between affordability and quality/track record.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Just a regular old “MP5A2” style SP5 SBR would be my dream PCC. When I was a teenager I was really enamored with the “K” but as I grew up I kinda shifted my interest more toward the standard length model, and that being the variant I’ve actually fired probably helped that as well.
    I’m kind of eying a PCC for actual practical purposes though - namely indoor HD to mostly supplant the 5.56 AR that currently fills that role - so my decision making process is kind of more rooted in trying to strike the right balance between affordability and quality/track record.
    The K is neat but I didn’t like it. Not sure why. Maybe if I could have suppressed it (the PDW version accepts this) I would have kept it. It would be a great HD gun
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 02-18-21 at 08:24.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    The K is neat but I didn’t like it. Not sure why. Maybe if I could have suppressed it (the PDW version accepts this) I would have kept it. It would be a great HD gun
    If I had a K I’d want the shoulder rig setup....just ‘cuz.. From what I’ve seen the rigs can be used with a full sized MP5 also....but it’s just not the same, heh.
    I’d also honestly like a SBR clone of a Colt 635 or the newer 6991/991. Although while I don’t really hear much bad about Colts 9mm SMGs and carbines I also kind of get the impression they aren’t quite as good as the competition either. The story is that Colt never really invested a lot of effort into totally developing and perfecting the design.

Reality is steering my choice toward the CZ Scorpion though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast