Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IR Illuminators/laser modules in 2021

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

IR Illuminators/laser modules in 2021

I did some digging/searching on here and haven’t found a recent thread on IR illuminators in quite a few years. I am looking for info on a good weapon mounted system. Yes, I am aware of the MAWL but wondering about other options out there. School me.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    A lot of folks are pairing a DBAL-A3 or 9007 with an Luna ELIR3, saving some bucks and having similar performance.

The Luna is hands down the best and most cost effective illuminator on the market. You would need an aiming laser to couple with it however.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    A lot of folks are pairing a DBAL-A3 or 9007 with an Luna ELIR3, saving some bucks and having similar performance.

The Luna is hands down the best and most cost effective illuminator on the market. You would need an aiming laser to couple with it however.
    Robert speaks big facts.

I love the DBAL 9007 as it’s cost effective and I have no need for a visible laser. Coupled with an LED illuminator & TAPS it’s as good as my needs require.

Feedback Score
    If a simple IR pointer will fill the need, the Steiner mini TOR is a neat little unit . And very friendly on the wallet. Santa gave me one this year, and mounted up on a 300 BO it works great. Coupled it with a surefire IR light head.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    If a simple IR pointer will fill the need, the Steiner mini TOR is a neat little unit . And very friendly on the wallet. Santa gave me one this year, and mounted up on a 300 BO it works great. Coupled it with a surefire IR light head.
    I’m using the same setup on a rattler. It works well, but the ergonomics leave something to be desired since there is no remote switch for the TOR.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

I'm wondering how that would compare to a Modlite IR-850 couple with a IR laser.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I’ve mentioned this before in other threads but I’m using a CQBL paired with an IR light on a Unity TAPS Sync.

I was originally using a Modlite IR850 but recently picked up the Malkoff EXIR250 from Arisaka and think that’s the way I’ll end up going.

Benefits of this setup for me are numerous.
    Cost - can dang near buy 3 of these setups for every one MAWL
    Modular - can take the light off when not using NODS
    Size/Weight - comparable to what’s on the market for all in one units, but can be smaller/lighter without the light attached
    Slaved lasers on CQBL (not the case for DBAL IR 9000 series units) allow me to zero during the day (and yes the vis laser sucks for most of the daylight hours)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I'm wondering how that would compare to a Modlite IR-850 couple with a IR laser.
    The Luna is fully adjustable for power and beam. Dial it down to a light sabre at distance or open the flood to wider FOV than your NODs at shorter range. Power is fully adjustable as well.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    How does the Perst-4 compare to some of the Steiner offerings such as DBAL or CQBL? The price of the Perst is the deciding factor for most people but what would be given up with some of the cheaper ir illuminations/lasers?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

I second this- a DBAL-A3 with a quality IR LED light will serve you well. I'm running a TAPS Sync switch to take advantage of the M620V on my rifle.

For an idea about what kind of performance to expect from a 620V- the plate rack in the vid below is 50 yards out and was crystal clear from my POV. Anecdotally, I'll use the laser's illuminator for more point-illumination (like a balcony/window) at distances greater than 50ish yards, and the 620V handles everything else.

Last edited by GTF425; 02-17-21 at 15:54.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast