Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: IR Illuminators/laser modules in 2021

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeheadAR View Post
    I have a Streamlight TLR-VIR II now which is good for my use so far which has IR laser/illuminator but no vis laser.
    I just bought one of these as well and so far am impressed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in TN View Post
    I just bought one of these as well and so far am impressed.
    How is the illumination? How far would you say the illumination is effective and the laser distance? Are you able to use the laser without the IR illuminator?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manofmayhem View Post
    How is the illumination? How far would you say the illumination is effective and the laser distance? Are you able to use the laser without the IR illuminator?

Laser and illuminator activation is slaved on the TLR VIR II. Laser is pretty good, comparable to other decent “civ” lasers. I’ll compare directly to the MAWL C soon. Maybe tonight if I’m still bored. Edit: Did so. It looks roughly the same as a MAWL C pointer.

The illuminator is intended for short range use, and performance is as expected. Its pretty loud up close, falls off with distance quickly. It’ll do what you really need with a pistol at night.

I did notice I had to max the elevation adjustment on a Gen4 G19, and even then, the zero is only good at CQB distances. (Edit: I talked to a Streamlight engineer, and he said it was a defect and I should contact customer service and send it in. I’m currently happy with it on a G19.5, so maybe later) The dustcover just has soooo much slant to it, so that gun will mostly get shot through the RMR. I got a great zero on a Gen 5 G19. I’m hoping to try out some other pistols, but that might go on the backburner, since I shoot Glocks, anyway.
    Last edited by 1168; 09-18-21 at 13:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manofmayhem View Post

Agreed with everything 1168 says. This guy does a pretty good review that compares it to a DBAL A3: https://youtu.be/N6MpPjn0lFo Spoiler alert: it is NOT a DBAL, and I don't think it's meant to be. It's more of a floodlight as opposed to the DBAL's spotlight - which for a pistol is better anyway.

Right now mine's mounted on a 300BLK pistol, and it was within an inch of my 50 yd zero when I mounted it. Adjustment was easy and I'm happy with it. The laser "dot" is bigger than I'd like at 50 yds, but since it's primarily designed for a pistol I'd say it's about perfect and I'm using it outside its design parameters.

I didn't like that you couldn't turn on the IR laser without the light at first, but the more that I think about it the more I can't think of a situation where I'd need to do that. So slaving them together probably makes a lot of sense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Any idea of price? Similar to the retail price of the current restricted version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haven't heard anything about the price yet, but if the MAWL and PEQ-15 are anything to go by, probably so.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    @ironman

With your CQBL and illuminator combination, do options exist where I could have the visible laser fire with a white light and IR laser with an illuminator?
    How is battery life and “power” with the CQBL?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I’ll throw in a couple opinions here.

I have a stiener cqbl with surefire IR scout 300. Tnvc dual switch to control them. This set up is small, light, quality and about 1200$. White and IR light, slaved vis and IR lasers. For a civi fda approved set up I think its tough to beat. An added little bonus I like is the turning bezel on the sure allows an off position.

The mawl sounds super nice. But not for that money. I would buy a mawl over others if it was full power. I can’t.

…but I can readily buy a new in package peq15 full power. It’s about 2500$, so actually less than a low power mawl.

Lastly this thread makes me want to piece together a ghetto full power com lock set up with a perst and a evir.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    The mawl sounds super nice. But not for that money. I would buy a mawl over others if it was full power. I can’t.
    What use-case do you foresee yourself needing a full-power pointer? The C1+ can push out 67 mW if need be out its illuminator, after all. I know a lot of folks that would take a C1+ over an LA5 in a heartbeat.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My experience is with a cqbl .7mw and a full power peq15.

I find with the cqbl the laser is “enough to get by” but I often finding myself wanting it brighter.

The civi laser starts to wash out
    -in higher ambient light like full moon and street lights.
    -with any ir illumination

At distance you certainly want for more power.

Now at 1200$ and quad output as well as factory support the cqbl/surefire is hard to beat for me still.

With my full power peq15 I find myself using the full power often. I’d say at least half the time. Some time full power is too much. Depends on ambient light conditions and range.

So to me for 3000k for a mawl does not seem worth it to me. I’ve never used one, but I know how good the laser could possibly be. I do how ever feel of you had unlimited power to work with that all of the setting on the mawl seem like they would be awesome and super useful. I do say this having not having used a civi mawl, but I’m not paying 3k to find out. I’d rather have a full power peq15 and some serious change left over.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have a FP Peq 15. Honestly, I like my MAWL-C better. The switching is just better, IMO. I like not having to twist the illuminator focus in a mixed environment. They’re both good, though. They have different strengths. I do wish the MAWL price would come down, but that seems unlikely.

Sidenote, I played with an ATPIAL-C the other day. It is totally inadequate as an illuminator in mixed lighting with like streetlights and such. Non-cloners would be better served with a LED IR flashlight.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast