Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IR Illuminators/laser modules in 2021

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    I second this- a DBAL-A3 with a quality IR LED light will serve you well. I'm running a TAPS Sync switch to take advantage of the M620V on my rifle.

For an idea about what kind of performance to expect from a 620V- the plate rack in the vid below is 50 yards out and was crystal clear from my POV. Anecdotally, I'll use the laser's illuminator for more point-illumination (like a balcony/window) at distances greater than 50ish yards, and the 620V handles everything else.

That’s good shooting. If I were a tyrant I’d fear you.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If you intend to get a MAWL, I’d take a gander here to avoid getting burned by a vendor: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...73#post2929473

I’m currently rocking a Modlight IR 940, which is OK. I wish for more throw. T2/Scalarworks 1.9” works quite nicely, just have to remember to change the setting, so its not great for transitioning from IR to white light at an entrance. Dual illuminated RMR is actually pretty decent for that. Something I need to explore more, perhaps as a piggyback. I need to test that somewhere with black matte walls.

DBAL D2 is as good as the MAWL-C+ in output. In fact, its rather impressive. I’m in the market for a FP PEQ-15 for a clone, BTW. They work better than some guntubers imply. I like the button on top and the standardized switch port.

Perst has impressive output, but falls short in other ways.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    If you intend to get a MAWL, I’d take a gander here to avoid getting burned by a vendor: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...73#post2929473

I’m currently rocking a Modlight IR 940, which is OK. I wish for more throw. T2/Scalarworks 1.9” works quite nicely, just have to remember to change the setting, so its not great for transitioning from IR to white light at an entrance. Dual illuminated RMR is actually pretty decent for that. Something I need to explore more, perhaps as a piggyback. I need to test that somewhere with black matte walls.

DBAL D2 is as good as the MAWL-C+ in output. In fact, its rather impressive. I’m in the market for a FP PEQ-15 for a clone, BTW. They work better than some guntubers imply. I like the button on top and the standardized switch port.

Perst has impressive output, but falls short in other ways.
    Sorry to hear you got screwed. Call your card immediately and dispute the charge right away. If they give you crap about the time involved tell them you were informed there was a lead time with the product, hence why you waited a bit to give the vendor a chance to deliver the product.

There is a reason your card shouldn't be charged until an order is shipping out- it's the ethical way to do business. If a business doesn't have enough "float" (cash of their own) to finance their business there is no reason for YOU to finance it for them. And that's exactly what's happening when a company charges your card upfront for something that won't ship for months- they are using YOUR money to finance THEIR business.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I hear you. Resolution in progress with the vendor. That thread got me the phone call I needed that night. I’ll remove that link and update the currently locked thread when my resolution is satisfactory.

FWIW, info provided by BEMeyers after that thread was started matches info provided by the vendor in that phone call.

You have any MAWLs laying around?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    Sorry to hear you got screwed. Call your card immediately and dispute the charge right away. If they give you crap about the time involved tell them you were informed there was a lead time with the product, hence why you waited a bit to give the vendor a chance to deliver the product.

There is a reason your card shouldn't be charged until an order is shipping out- it's the ethical way to do business. If a business doesn't have enough "float" (cash of their own) to finance their business there is no reason for YOU to finance it for them. And that's exactly what's happening when a company charges your card upfront for something that won't ship for months- they are using YOUR money to finance THEIR business.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post

I refuse to give someone money if a product isn’t ready to ship. I don’t need whatever it is badly enough to have to place my trust in them that they will do the right thing when they hold thousands of my shekels.

1168 got his issue sorted out, so that’s good.

Feedback Score
    I hear you. Resolution in progress with the vendor. That thread got me the phone call I needed that night. I’ll remove that link and update the currently locked thread when my resolution is satisfactory.

FWIW, info provided by BEMeyers after that thread was started matches info provided by the vendor in that phone call.

Glad to hear it.

We don't sell the MAWL.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I'm kicking myself in the ass for not picking one up when Big Tex sent me an email they had them in stock.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I'm kicking myself in the ass for not picking one up when Big Tex sent me an email they had them in stock.
    I passed on at least 3 opportunities that I know of because I already had one backordered and paid for.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy

Feedback Score
    There are aspects of the MAWL that I like. The size for one. Mounting it high on the right with a white light below seems like a good set up. I also like the easy selectability and dual function buttons. Control position can't really be adjusted by the user much, but sometimes too much freedom leads to overthinking vs just learning the system. I'm sure I'd learn it easy enough. What I don't like is the price. Basically the same money as a full power PEQ new in the bag. Not saying they are gouging, it costs money to innovate and make product. Just comparing on what I find of value.

As mentioned, the Steiner OTAL is a pretty good value. It's a no brainer for mounting on backup/secondary guns. Not that it can't be used as your primary, just saying it lends itself to buying in bulk. Yes, you need to pair it with illum. but stand alone can allow for some freedom in your selections. Works with standard laser switches.

Personally for my money my primary in the dark monster hunter is the full power PEQ. Yeah, it's old school. Guess what... it still works as intended even if it ain't tip of the spear cool. They are vetted and pretty much bulletproof. They are switch controllable, or there is the easy button right there on top. Switching modes in the dark can be a pain, but experience and familiarity help. The "standard" full power 15 is easily available new, legally, if a little "grey market". I run an LA-5B. Same unit with hotter high illum. and a hotter vis laser. The 5s are a small premium over the 15 but I like the extra illum. I also like the hotter vis laser. Sure it is a little more useful as a daylight laser, but mostly it helps get a good zero at range with the slaved IR laser.

I honestly don't know enough about the DBALs to say anything of value. I can't even keep track of which one is which. Same with the Russian job.

I had a chance to play with a RAPTAR. Not much, I didn't really even get a handle on its capabilities. I would love to really learn/run one. It seems pretty awesome. At a basic level it's a PEQ with a rangefinder, but the controllability of it seemed cool.

That's my .02. In for more info.

Oh, can we get a dedicated "Do S#!t in the Dark" area. I appreciate the work it takes to make and operate this forum. I couldn't do it. It's just that lights, lasers, NODs, thermal,... the posts end up scattered about. A nightlarper section would be awesome.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    The "standard" full power 15 is easily available new, legally,
    Where can I buy a new FP PEQ15 or LA5 right now?

I honestly don't know enough about the DBALs to say anything of value. I can't even keep track of which one is which.
    yeah, I feel like I need a PHD to sort through Steiner’s laser catalog. Kinda like Holosun’s dot catalog.

Oh, can we get a dedicated "Do S#!t in the Dark" area. I appreciate the work it takes to make and operate this forum. I couldn't do it. It's just that lights, lasers, NODs, thermal,... the posts end up scattered about. A nightlarper section would be awesome.
    Moderators, a forum for vampires, please.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast