Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IR Illuminators/laser modules in 2021

Feedback Score
    Oh, can we get a dedicated "Do S#!t in the Dark" area. I appreciate the work it takes to make and operate this forum. I couldn't do it. It's just that lights, lasers, NODs, thermal,... the posts end up scattered about. A nightlarper section would be awesome.
    We have offered to sponsor an NV forum here.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Allow me to go on record offering to help moderate it. I promise not to say any crazy shit there.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    We have offered to sponsor an NV forum here.
    I tried to get one going last year here. I was shot down......

See link:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ed-NV-category
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

IR Illuminators/laser modules in 2021

There's a new company, no affiliation, coming out with a great form factor VCSEL based laser like the MAWL. They're trying to get a class-1+ variance from the FDA like BE Meyers did.

https://www.z-bolt-laser-systems.com/

I'm holding off on buying another laser until we see more from them.

One thing I like about it is that the aiming lasers are centred over the bore like the Steiner CQBL-1. So you don't have to think about parallel zero or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mig1nc; 03-02-21 at 08:27.

Feedback Score
    I've been looking for an IR illuminator to go with my Perst 4. Something high quality, rugged with similar power capabilities.

Many are using the Luna ELIR-3, one of the few stand-alone illuminators with full power on tap. It does have some downsides though. There've been complaints about the design and build quality, bulky mounting system, sensitivity to recoil and its exposed power control dial. It also doesn't have a weatherproof rating.

On the positive side, the potential output is comparable to the full power DBAL-A3 (80mw) and LA-5B (80mw).

So when I came across a unit with more power than the ELIR-3 I was curious. I'd never heard of it since it's never been advertised or sold in the US...the Electrooptic IR 530-850 Digital laser illuminator.

Left.jpg

Electrooptic (EO) has been making night vision equipment since 1996 based in Belarus. The ELIR-3 is also made in Belarus...by Dipol.

I ordered the EO unit on the 16th and it got here on the 20th via UPS from Hungary. Not sure if that was a fluke but impressive. Am on a trip at the moment so can't do full testing, but wanted to share details/impressions so far.

Right.jpg

Build quality: CNC milled T6 aluminum, 500g rating for recoil, tested to .375 H&H. Has a rugged, high quality feel
    Size/weight: 4.8 inches/3.2 oz; ELIR-3 is same length but plastic construction makes it 15 grams lighter
    Appearance: modern shape compared to the tube-with-a-dial look of the ELIR-3
    Wavelength: 850nm (785nm for the ELIR-3)
    Laser class: 3B
    Power: adjustable - low, med, high and turbo. High is 150mw, turbo is 300mw. ELIR-3 max output is 70mw. (Ultra High Power LA-5C = 200mw)
    Power-On Indicator: recessed LED power-on indicator with different intensity for each power level - blinks in turbo mode
    Power Control: button on top has a firm feel and is mounted inside a protective ring to prevent accidental activation
    Power memory: on/off and power status maintained if battery is removed
    Focus: wide focal control (.5-20 degrees). ELIR-3 is .1-5 degrees. Limited beam spread is a limitation of both ELIR-3 and the Perst-3
    Focus Ring: nice action, not too loose or tight with solid end stop. Lots of travel, not a quick throw design
    Lens: appears to be high quality glass. Diode is set deep inside the body to reduce glow
    Range: specs say 800m at 1 degree but new model goes down to .5 so it may go a bit further
    Windage & Elevation: recessed adjustments with protective outer rings...small 2mm hex screws but a beefy setup overall
    Battery: 1x CR123 or 16340 battery w run-time 4-20 hours (ELIR-3 claims "up to" 4 hours on CR123...not rated for 16340)
    Mount: small removable picatinny mount attached with hex screws, allowing use of custom mounts (ELIR-3 mount is built-in)
    Weatherproofing: IPX6 - not submersible but otherwise waterproof. ELIR-3 not rated
    Temperature rating: -20°С to +50°С (ELIR-3 not rated)
    Warranty: 2-years (ELIR-3 is 1 year). Service is done within EU, not Belarus, to avoid shipping delays

Digital mount - nice.jpg
    Vs Dipol and Laserluch 850.jpg

Dipol L2 850 is the more powerful (100mw) EU version of the ELIR-3.

Downsides:

No tailcap/pressure switch. I've contacted EO to ask if there will be one offered...as well as safety lens cover and diffuser.

If they don't make a tailcap, it'd be easy enough to make an adapter to fit Surefire switches, like Luna makes for the ELIR-3. The unit remembers on/off/power settings when removing the battery so it should work fine. It'd also be fairly simple to make a lens cover and diffuser.

Overall, the illuminator looks promising. Expensive but well worth the $75 bump over the ELIR-3 IMO. It's priced in euros so the amount will fluctuate depending on the strength of the dollar.

A variation was released a few days ago with the same body but an analog power dial instead of pushbutton control. Max output is 250mw. I've ordered one so I can compare the units side-by-side.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That definitely looks like an upgrade for people that use the ELIR as a handheld illuminator.

I hope you get a tailcap adapter sorted out.

The ELIR-3 does have a removable mount, though. It has some extensions that come out of the body, similar to a Surefire Scout Light. The picatinny adapter is connected with soft Phillips head M3 screws. I'd suggest replacing them with hex or torx head stainless screws, and use some low strength purple Loctite

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Miller View Post
    That definitely looks like an upgrade for people that use the ELIR as a handheld illuminator.

I hope you get a tailcap adapter sorted out.

The ELIR-3 does have a removable mount, though. It has some extensions that come out of the body, similar to a Surefire Scout Light. The picatinny adapter is connected with soft Phillips head M3 screws. I'd suggest replacing them with hex or torx head stainless screws, and use some low strength purple Loctite
    The thin mounting plate of the ELIR-3 comes off but the body extension makes it hard to mount the illuminator close in to the rail. A straight tube design allowing standard ring mounts would've been better for this IMO.

The EO unit mounted directly to an offset mount should tuck in nicely. Using the top button will work fine for me until a tail cap adapter is available.

If EO doesn't make one fairly soon I'll probably fabricate something...should be pretty straightforward.
    Last edited by dbazz; 04-27-21 at 16:09.

Feedback Score
    A civilian legal version of the next-gen Raid-Xe is planned for release this October - just in case anyone here is interested.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LimeSpoon View Post
    A civilian legal version of the next-gen Raid-Xe is planned for release this October - just in case anyone here is interested.
    Any idea of price? Similar to the retail price of the current restricted version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have heard and seen a lot of good reviews on the Holosun LS321 series which is about $800 or less. It has an adjustable IR illuminator which is slaved with the IR laser and visible laser. Green and red options are available. I just bought one but I haven't tested it because I may sell it and use the money for my first suppressor instead. I have a Streamlight TLR-VIR II now which is good for my use so far which has IR laser/illuminator but no vis laser.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast