Thread: carbon fiber stock ruggedness

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

carbon fiber stock ruggedness

Im still looking around at the different bolt guns per my other thread. Several of the options Im looking at have carbon fiber stocks vs the fiberglass type stocks of the McMillan and Manners. I know both of those companies also make carbon fiber stocks.

How is the ruggedness of the carbon fiber stocks, say AG Composite stocks, compared the more traditional stocks from McMillan etc..? Im not going to be crawling around the mountains of Afghanistan with the rifle but I dont want to buy a weaker stock just because it's a cool material.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I’m not a materials science guy, but I can observe that in applications that demand high strength and minimal weight for a component carbon fiber is regularly used and fiberglass is not. For example auto racing, when was the last time you heard of a race car with a fiberglass body, wheels, body work, or anything else for that matter that was structural or under any kind of load? The answer is you haven’t. Same for aerospace industry parts.

Now apply the same filter and plug in carbon fiber, and all sorts of stuff is being made from carbon fiber and used where a part needs to be light and strong.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    CF is very strong. I wouldn’t think twice about it.

If you’ve ever talked to Tom Manners of Manner Composite Stocks, you’ll know that he’d never use the material if it wasn’t up to the task.

Sent from 80ms in the future

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not sure if you've seen this yet? Just information to gather and decide upon. Do a "custom" Impact 737r w/ Bartlein Carbon Fiber and the below chassis?
    https://mdttac.com/us_en/hnt26-chassis-system.html
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I have a buddy that builds high end race cars. I asked him this question a few years back about CF strength and durability. His reply was when CF is done "correctly" and extreme heat is not an issue there is no substitute for its weight. At the time we were discussing CF AR rails. When not done correctly he said it can be garbage. How you figure that out for a given product I have no idea.
    Last edited by themonk; 02-24-21 at 07:16.