Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What class am I looking for?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Look at your state's first responder program. I believe they do simple airway adjuncts and tourniquets now, it's about a third or half the time commitment as EMT.

You will not find many basic, low-hour courses that teach airway adjuncts and are accredited and offer a certification/validation.
    Came to say the same thing - non-transport first responder.
    No nose trumpets, mostly because of the poking the brain issues. I am not familiar with any civil certificate training short of NRMET Basic that covers them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Came to say the same thing - non-transport first responder.
    No nose trumpets, mostly because of the poking the brain issues. I am not familiar with any civil certificate training short of NRMET Basic that covers them.
    Here a first responder course is a minimum of 40 contact hours. No way the school district is going to spring for the hours worked, let alone the course itself.

"Stop the Bleed" classes are one or two hours, and several ae free... just can't find any near me.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    Here a first responder course is a minimum of 40 contact hours. No way the school district is going to spring for the hours worked, let alone the course itself.

"Stop the Bleed" classes are one or two hours, and several ae free... just can't find any near me.
    STB is an easy fix. Do you know any docs, RNs, or paramedics? They can become instructors easy-peasy. To become an instructor is an easy process.

The limiting factor is airway (adjuncts). There just aren't any short/low-hour classes that are credentialed/validated that go over it (which doesn't make a lot of sense since it is a low-risk 'procedure'). The flip side is that in the scheme of a MCI, tossing in a NPA is also small potatoes and isn't part of SMART Triage or any other triage algorithm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP, I have a lot of experience doing what you're trying to do.

You're doing a good thing and good on you. I think you're overcomplicating it a bit though, which is easy to do.
    If you can't find a product for your folks that has what you want, be the product. Do it yourself.
    Register to be a STB instructor, here: https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/applicant/create
    Go to your EMS service, EM folks, your CLEO, and your school's super. Find out what conversations have already occurred, chances are you're not the only one thinking about this.
    NPAs are handy. I'd not sweat them so much or make training selection contingent on inclusion. I teach them in conjunction with CPR or narcan on a mannequin, or do a student application.
    Brain cannulation isn't a thing like people think. Elsewhere here, we've had a discussion on it.
    Creds, certifications, and such aren't necessary for anything you're doing. If they need a certificate, print one that says what it needs to say.
    Your campus needs CPR with clearing a foreign body airway obstruction and STB.
    Some folks on your campus will benefit from triage and lifting/moving casualties.
    Your EMS service should come on board and cooperate with you. If they don't, do it without them.
    Training in school districts needs to be modular, in-service ("teacher work day"), and only 1-3 hours in length. It may take a school year to do what you want. Chunk it.
    Are you using ALICE or another active killer response system? If you're using a good one, chances are what we're talking about is already referenced or recommended.

Happy to offer further.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    OP, I have a lot of experience doing what you're trying to do.

You're doing a good thing and good on you. I think you're overcomplicating it a bit though, which is easy to do.
    If you can't find a product for your folks that has what you want, be the product. Do it yourself.
    Register to be a STB instructor, here: https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/applicant/create
    Go to your EMS service, EM folks, your CLEO, and your school's super. Find out what conversations have already occurred, chances are you're not the only one thinking about this.
    NPAs are handy. I'd not sweat them so much or make training selection contingent on inclusion. I teach them in conjunction with CPR or narcan on a mannequin, or do a student application.
    Brain cannulation isn't a thing like people think. Elsewhere here, we've had a discussion on it.
    Creds, certifications, and such aren't necessary for anything you're doing. If they need a certificate, print one that says what it needs to say.
    Your campus needs CPR with clearing a foreign body airway obstruction and STB.
    Some folks on your campus will benefit from triage and lifting/moving casualties.
    Your EMS service should come on board and cooperate with you. If they don't, do it without them.
    Training in school districts needs to be modular, in-service ("teacher work day"), and only 1-3 hours in length. It may take a school year to do what you want. Chunk it.
    Are you using ALICE or another active killer response system? If you're using a good one, chances are what we're talking about is already referenced or recommended.

Happy to offer further.
    The only place I could rally envision a need to have a cred/cert is for liability/insurance reasons. I get what the OP is trying to do and have seen other institutions' legal/risk management require 'the real deal suitable for framing' certificate. It's frustrating when one can teach it in about 30 seconds. Concur about the 'brain cannulation' thing. Funny, even the nursing and MD-level curriculum (TNCC, TNS, and ATLS) still have this.

Also, OP, some companies like Tactical Medical Solutions and NARP have done this before; I imagine if you contact them they may have some ideas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Do it yourself.
    I just realized I can do that.

I'm now a certified TECC provider, I can get certified to teach STB.

Hmmm....
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12